Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal 55gr LE223T1 or something else?

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

Federal 55gr LE223T1 or something else?

Bought a good bit of these a few years back. Is there any reason I shouldn't use them in a HD role? It would be used in both a 10.5 and 12.5 guns.

This is not the only ammo I have to use. Others include:
    BH 77gr SMK
    Barnes 62gr TSX 5.56

Would you choose one of those over the other?

Thanks,
    A.B.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s not at the top of current barrier performance choices, but it’s still a good barrier blind load that I wouldn’t worry about replacing.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It’s not at the top of current barrier performance choices, but it’s still a good barrier blind load that I wouldn’t worry about replacing.
    That’s a very good way to describe it. Well said.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    Bought a good bit of these a few years back. Is there any reason I shouldn't use them in a HD role? It would be used in both a 10.5 and 12.5 guns.

This is not the only ammo I have to use. Others include:
    BH 77gr SMK
    Barnes 62gr TSX 5.56

Would you choose one of those over the other?

Thanks,
    A.B.
    If autoglass is a concern then you want to go with as heavy a barrier blind load as you can get since you want as much bullet as possible making it through. If its just HD and less concern for autoglass then 55gr TBBC is just fine.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses.

Feedback Score
    Is that the .223 version of the vaunted "FBI round"? The ones I have are basically a "Trophy Bonded Bear Claw" loaded to 5.56 pressure. The nomenclature is XM556SBCT3

Disregard, I saw you were referencing the 55gr flavor. Sorry.
    Last edited by ABNAK; 12-01-21 at 20:25.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Is that the .223 version of the vaunted "FBI round"? The ones I have are basically a "Trophy Bonded Bear Claw" loaded to 5.56 pressure. The nomenclature is XM556SBCT3

Disregard, I saw you were referencing the 55gr flavor. Sorry.
    Same bullet. The XM series are rejects. Many have complained about poor accuracy with those. That SBCT is a charge optimized for short barrels.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For HD use and ranges any reputable soft point/hollow point/bonded bullet will be devastating on an assailant. The only type of round I would stay away from are the fast expanding varmint type bullets that would have questionable performance through any type of barrier.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by flenna View Post
    For HD use and ranges any reputable soft point/hollow point/bonded bullet will be devastating on an assailant.
    This... I think people get too wrapped up on ammo for the rifles. Our duty ammo doesnt do great in the FBI testing. Yet time and again Ive seen it perform well through windshields, auto body, and penetrating limbs before hitting the torso. Our duty ammo is Federal TRU 223E which uses a 55 grain Gameking hollow point bullet. The front tends to expand and fragment pretty well while the base punches deeper.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Barnes 62gr TSX bullet - VOR-TX would be my choice among those listed. I use it with regular carbine length barrels for deer at reasonable range. It should do fine from an SBR due to its high velocity, almost 2,700 fps frim a 10.3" barrel, excellent expansion, deep penetration (easily barrier blind), 100% weight retention.

https://www.recoilweb.com/sbr-ammo-b...de-141394.html
    Last edited by MS556; 01-01-22 at 13:13.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast