Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Federal 55gr LE223T1 or something else?

Feedback Score
    I apologize for my thoughtlessness. I would like to see the thread get back on track. Even though I stick to 55gr FMJ due to cost and commonality, I want to learn about how other weights and loads are used.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    I apologize for my thoughtlessness. I would like to see the thread get back on track. Even though I stick to 55gr FMJ due to cost and commonality, I want to learn about how other weights and loads are used.
    Check out the Recoil Magazine article linked in post #10. Barnes TSX monolithic solid copper 62 grain hollow points and the Bonded soft point (Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) type bullet loads are spectacular defensive ammo, even from 10.3" SBR firearms, the subject of this thread and that article.

Yes, this ammo is pricey, but just a loaded mag or two will usually take care of you should harm come your way. Train with fmj and just confirm your zero with tbe good stuff. I hand load and have loads developed with the 62 Barnes TSX that replicate M855 trajectory and have 55 gr. bonded soft point loads that replicate M193 trajectory.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MS556 View Post
    Check out the Recoil Magazine article linked in post #10. Barnes TSX monolithic solid copper 62 grain hollow points and the Bonded soft point (Trophy Bonded Bear Claw) type bullet loads are spectacular defensive ammo, even from 10.3" SBR firearms, the subject of this thread and that article.

Yes, this ammo is pricey, but just a loaded mag or two will usually take care of you should harm come your way. Train with fmj and just confirm your zero with tbe good stuff. I hand load and have loads developed with the 62 Barnes TSX that replicate M855 trajectory and have 55 gr. bonded soft point loads that replicate M193 trajectory.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)

I am very fortunate that the LE223T1 has virtually the same zero as the 55gr FMJ I have on hand.

Thanks for the article about the barnes ammo. I have heard great things about it. I am going with the LE223T1 just because I have substantially more of it than the barnes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Barnes 62gr TSX bullet - VOR-TX would be my choice among those listed. I use it with regular carbine length barrels for deer at reasonable range. It should do fine from an SBR due to its high velocity, almost 2,700 fps frim a 10.3" barrel, excellent expansion, deep penetration (easily barrier blind), 100% weight retention.

https://www.recoilweb.com/sbr-ammo-b...de-141394.html
    Even at 2700 fps the TSX did not open as well as the Fusion at 2500 fps, and one of two TSX shots had a very late opening in the Clear Ballistics medium. Get a little further away or shoot through something that plugs cavity of the TSX and it may not open at all. The Fusion (Gold Dot) design appears more reliable.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Even at 2700 fps the TSX did not open as well as the Fusion at 2500 fps, and one of two TSX shots had a very late opening in the Clear Ballistics medium. Get a little further away or shoot through something that plugs cavity of the TSX and it may not open at all. The Fusion (Gold Dot) design appears more reliable.
    Or get real ballistic test media?
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Heavier projectiles seem to perform better out of shorter barrels.
    LE223T3 if you’re dealing with barriers.
    LE223T1 if you’re not.
    Overall and generally speaking, solid copper performs better than lead, especially heavier.
    I am issued LE223T3 and I have no complaints.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    Even though I stick to 55gr FMJ due to cost and commonality, I want to learn about how other weights and loads are used.
    I’m a firm believer in stacking the deck in my favor. A few mags of better performing (but just as important much more consistently performing ammo) is not a significant cost.

Put another way, if someone breaks down your door looking to harm you or your family would you rather a mag of better ammo in your rifle or some more M193 in your basement stash?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Or get real ballistic test media?
    Do you have FBI protocol data for the 62 grain TSX from a short barrel?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    This... I think people get too wrapped up on ammo for the rifles. Our duty ammo doesnt do great in the FBI testing. Yet time and again Ive seen it perform well through windshields, auto body, and penetrating limbs before hitting the torso. Our duty ammo is Federal TRU 223E which uses a 55 grain Gameking hollow point bullet. The front tends to expand and fragment pretty well while the base punches deeper.
    Out of 16" guns or shorter?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast