Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 6.5 Creedmor - Palma style brass

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Did you measure the brass itself for spring-back compared to others? Or measure the necks for thickness?
    No. By the time I had it sorted out. The whole batch of 50 or 60 was loaded... I didn't know what portion of the run was going to do this.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    No. By the time I had it sorted out. The whole batch of 50 or 60 was loaded... I didn't know what portion of the run was going to do this.
    I gotcha. Would be interesting to see what exactly caused them to have more tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Another observation on 6.5 CM:

I have a 50 or so piece batch of FC small primer brass that we're running just because we have it in the rotation. I anneal every firing with any caliber above .223, so this stuff got annealed before loading. About 8 pieces out of the batch had very heavy/tight neck tension... almost like the dreaded donut. The bullets had visible rings indented from the LE Wilson seating die they were so tight.

So I sorted these off in a separate baggie. Pappabear grabs them, loaded them in a 10 rd A.I. mag, and fires them at 1300 yards from the Bergara bolt gun. He ends up going like 6 for 8 on the 24" steel.

Now 6.5 is hit and miss every week out at the range, but it's getting better. So this might have been a fluke. But it got me wondering if the round wouldn't do better at distance with more neck tension. Maybe not so much the bullets indent from seating, but a tighter neck?
    Wasn't it the 6.5 Lapua brass? I've had the same thing happen with new 6.5 CM and .300 Win Mag brass from Lapua over the last year or so with new cases. I wrote it off as a fluke as the phenomenon didn't repeat itself upon a second loading. Lapua does make strong, thick cases.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I gotcha. Would be interesting to see what exactly caused them to have more tension.
    I hope we kept them sorted off. I was going to toss them, but now I'm curious to run them again.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Wasn't it the 6.5 Lapua brass? I've had the same thing happen with new 6.5 CM and .300 Win Mag brass from Lapua over the last year or so with new cases. I wrote it off as a fluke as the phenomenon didn't repeat itself upon a second loading. Lapua does make strong, thick cases.
    I have the Lapua brass running too, and a bunch of Hornady. (we shoot a lot of 6.5 lately) But this FC brass was just given to me by a guy who only shoots factory stuff and doesn't reload.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112