Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmor - Palma style brass

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I loaded some IMR 4350 in 10 pieces of FC small primer brass with the 150 gr Sierras. Pappabear's LMT gas gun shot those really well. 4 holes pretty much touching, and 1 left flier that stretched the group to MOA.

I also loaded regular Hornady Brass with the 150s and IMR4350. One bergarra bolt gun shot them almost 3 MOA, the shot the 140 ELDs about a 1/2 MOA with the Lapua brass. It's amazing how finnicky barrels can be.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    True, but it sounds like you’re having success with the 6.5 ammo.
    That’s good.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    I’ve been playing with 6mm Creedmoor with Lapua small primer brass. It’s as though I can’t get it to not shoot with H4350 and Sierra 110s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    True, but it sounds like you’re having success with the 6.5 ammo.
    That’s good.
    The Lapua brass seems to have helped for sure. 140 gr ELDs are shooting the best, but naturally, we couldn't find more of them. We're back on the 147s. The 150 sierras have proven to be very hard to make happy. The gas gun shoots them good though.

Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I’ve been playing with 6mm Creedmoor with Lapua small primer brass. It’s as though I can’t get it to not shoot with H4350 and Sierra 110s.
    I don't know too much about 6mm. What are the +/-s compared to 6.5??
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The Lapua brass seems to have helped for sure. 140 gr ELDs are shooting the best, but naturally, we couldn't find more of them. We're back on the 147s. The 150 sierras have proven to be very hard to make happy. The gas gun shoots them good though.

I don't know too much about 6mm. What are the +/-s compared to 6.5??

Flatter trajectory, more wind resistance (until it runs out of steam), less recoil are the pros.

The con, the glaring one, is about 1,000 rounds less barrel life.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    It's been a couple of months. But I've grown to REALLY like the IMR4350 for 6.5. I'm even cranking out Hornady brass with plain old 210 (non match) primers that shoots great.

Dragged out the wild machine to help meter the long cut powder. 40.8 gr with 150gr and 147gr bullets does well.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Another observation on 6.5 CM:

I have a 50 or so piece batch of FC small primer brass that we're running just because we have it in the rotation. I anneal every firing with any caliber above .223, so this stuff got annealed before loading. About 8 pieces out of the batch had very heavy/tight neck tension... almost like the dreaded donut. The bullets had visible rings indented from the LE Wilson seating die they were so tight.

So I sorted these off in a separate baggie. Pappabear grabs them, loaded them in a 10 rd A.I. mag, and fires them at 1300 yards from the Bergara bolt gun. He ends up going like 6 for 8 on the 24" steel.

Now 6.5 is hit and miss every week out at the range, but it's getting better. So this might have been a fluke. But it got me wondering if the round wouldn't do better at distance with more neck tension. Maybe not so much the bullets indent from seating, but a tighter neck?

Feedback Score
    Any chance the necks weren’t fully annealed?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Any chance the necks weren’t fully annealed?
    It's possible. But I anneal all the time and have never had this happen. The seating force was remarkable. Maybe the neck die is acting up. But the odd thing was how well the ammo shot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's possible. But I anneal all the time and have never had this happen. The seating force was remarkable. Maybe the neck die is acting up. But the odd thing was how well the ammo shot.
    Did you measure the brass itself for spring-back compared to others? Or measure the necks for thickness?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast