Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmor - Palma style brass

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Very good. Thanks. We're running H4350 as well. I'll probably do 10 pieces at the existing load, and 10 with a 3 tenths bump to have a variable for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Could've been. I measured a lot of the Hornady cases and found them to be very uniform, tho
    I've been scratching and clawing to make 6.5 sing for me, and never felt like Hornady brass was hurting the effort. We us ADG brass too.
    Last edited by markm; 11-16-21 at 12:46.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    CCI BR4s, Lapua brass, RL16; getting 1/2 MOA (5 rds) and under Mark.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wonder if we have any RL16.

For this first pass, I'm going to keep the variables brass and primer only. I'll probably load some Hornady once fired with LR match primers just to have a comparison.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Switching out any single component, I start over with the load and work back into the node. Switching two at a time, I would definitely work back up to the node. I’d also consider re-doing seating depth tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't shoot any depth sensitive ogive bullets. Life is too short for that torture. And I've already spent too much time chasing my ass on 6.5 CM to completely start over.

If I was doing a powder change, I'd start from scratch. But for this experiment, I'm going to go off of the existing load.

Feedback Score
    Do what you want, no skin off my back. I’m sure you’re going to come up with something acceptable either way.

Some things I’ve learned:

Changing brass changes volume, so you’re changing the charge weight by proxy.

Brass thicknesses vary in the neck, so changing neck tension changes your pressure curve, which changes your charge by proxy.

Changing primers more or less changes behavior of the powder, so you’re changing charge weight and burn rate by proxy.

All bullets are depth sensitive, some more than others.

There is no way to cheat when finding an optimal load.

Hell, even changing the degree on your chamfer can make a huge difference in seating force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Very good. Thanks. We're running H4350 as well. I'll probably do 10 pieces at the existing load, and 10 with a 3 tenths bump to have a variable for comparison.

I've been scratching and clawing to make 6.5 sing for me, and never felt like Hornady brass was hurting the effort. We us ADG brass too.
    I use 4350 in my 6.5C rounds as well, typically with CCI primers. I haven't done a lot of testing as I haven't had much time to shoot of late.

Getting ready to start loading for 6.5 Grendel and will be interesting to see how it compares in any way. I just need to shoot the factory rounds I bought to prime the brass supply, which is literally nonexistent for Grendel right now.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I just need to shoot the factory rounds I bought to prime the brass supply, which is literally nonexistent for Grendel right now.
    Did you contact Alexander Arms to see if they have stock? The website is not live inventory.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    FWIW Mark; with the Lapua SRP Brass and BR4 primers I had ESs of 7 to 10 and ESs with CCI 400 and 450’s of 13 to 18.
    This was much better than the LRP Brass from Hornady and Starline.

I have a 20” gun that was much slower than a couple of our 24” guns. Bumping the powder charge for the 20” gun, to get to the 24” guns velocity resulted in flattened primers and really short brass life with the LRP Brass.
    Using the SRP brass (both Lapua and Starline), that ceased to be a problem.
    The Lapua was more consistent than the Starline SRP Brass in terms of velocity/longer range accuracy (800+ yds).
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The long brass life could make a lapua purchase much easier to digest. I know the AGP brass, which is pretty good, gets loose primer pockets with hotter loads.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast