Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmor - Palma style brass

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    If you neck size how can that be more consistent? You have a different datum to ogive each firing. You have different lug pressure every time. Wouldn’t firing with them same shoulder bump every time be more consistent?

Check out Erik Cortina’s video on neck sizing.

Are you annealing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Neck sizing gives me the most consistent group sizes at 300 yards and consistent scores at 1,000 yards with my .308 Winchester and 30-06 rifles.

I am not annealing brass.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I body size after 1 or 2 firings just to make sure the ammo will chamber. In 308 I'd get hard necks after about 3-4 loads, and it was not consistent. One bullet would seat hard and the next would feel normal. That's when I started annealing to bring back neck tension consistency.

I may postpone running the Lapua brass another week until I compare the weight of it to the FC brass I'm working with.... AND get better results on paper. The small primers did yield a better S.D. at 9.9 compared to the Hornady brass at 15 or 16 if I remember correctly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Neck sizing gives me the most consistent group sizes at 300 yards and consistent scores at 1,000 yards with my .308 Winchester and 30-06 rifles.

I am not annealing brass.
    Annealing would be enough reason for your loads to not perform. The brass work hardens in as little as one firing. New brass is annealed before sizing and loading.

When you FL size, how many thousandths are you bumping the shoulder?

Nobody in BR or F-Class neck sizes anymore because it is less consistent.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Agree, I only full length size and bump the shoulders .002-3 depending on application.

I've also been looking at buying an AMP MK2 and start annealing between every loading for better consistency.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    Annealing would be enough reason for your loads to not perform. The brass work hardens in as little as one firing. New brass is annealed before sizing and loading.

When you FL size, how many thousandths are you bumping the shoulder?

Nobody in BR or F-Class neck sizes anymore because it is less consistent.

The shoulder gets bumped back 0.002".

I watched Erik Cortina’s video on neck sizing. I will follow his advice and experiment more with FL sizing.

My next step is to find Hornady ELD bullets.
    Last edited by T2C; 11-23-21 at 08:11.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I watched Erik Cortina’s video on neck sizing. I will follow his advice and experiment more with FL sizing.
    What was the gist? (i'm at work and can't watch right now) I know I hated bushing dies, but I've had good luck with the collet dies from LEE.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    What was the gist? (i'm at work and can't watch right now) I know I hated bushing dies, but I've had good luck with the collet dies from LEE.
    Erik said that neck sizing is not something F Class match winners are doing. He said it doesn't give you any better accuracy than full length sizing with a 0.002" to 0.003" bump back at the case shoulder. I tried this early in developing 6.5 Creedmoor loads, but not extensively. I'll also try this with my .308 Winchester and 30-06 loads.

Erik did mention purchasing bushing dies to size the brass.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    You should check his channel out Mark. I think based on your posts here you would enjoy the shit out of it. I know I do……

https://youtu.be/vYzXJGKyxt0

Feedback Score
    Erick Cortina is the man. He was nice enough to give me a call and help me sort through some things earlier in the year. Guy gets it and he makes it simple.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Back after it this weekend with the same FC brass. For all I know this brass could suck. The factory load wasn't very good, but the Lapua isn't here yet, so what the hell?

I'm seating the bullets .010 deeper, annealed the necks, changed primers to AR match, and backed the load off.

A few too many variables to change at once, I know. But I'm losing patience with this round. And I want to have something to chase when the Lapua brass arrives.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast