Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The great shotgun urban myth

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Again, we're confusing things here. I never said that racking a round into a shotgun was going to end every fight.

The point, as I demonstrated with my SimFX examples and as No.6 relayed from personal experience, is that if the BG hears it and if the BG identifies the sound you may stave off what would otherwise become a violent encounter that could easily result in your incarceration, legal expenses, massive media attention, etc.

The same exact thing is true for using a laser. Do I count on the little red dot to induce compliance with every living being it touches? Of course not. But enough folks have seen it help gain compliance that I'm not going to ignore its usefulness.

I carry 124gr +p Gold Dots in my pistol. I'm sure you can find legitimate stories where someone was shot with one and it didn't cause instantaneous cessation of hostility. Doesn't mean my choice of ammo is bad just because it isn't 100% effective.

I just wouldn't even list "racking the shotgun" as a REAL reason to buy a shotgun as a defensive weapon. That is all I am saying. It ranks right up there with people saying that the XS big dot is faster.

C4

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    I just wouldn't even list "racking the shotgun" as a REAL reason to buy a shotgun as a defensive weapon. That is all I am saying. It ranks right up there with people saying that the XS big dot is faster.
    Now that's funny!

Agreed, I wouldn't list "racking" as a reason to opt for the shotty over something else.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

What I am saying is that people that choose a shotgun for defense solely because of the "sound it makes when I chamber a round" are stupid.

C4
    right on!!!! do any companies make a pump 410 ?I have seen and shot a bolt action 410 .I think a 115lb girl could do well with a 410

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is another factor for both males and females. A female relative of mine purchased a 20 gauge on advice from "experts". The first time she had the dogs barking and the motion light came on in the middle of the night she went to check and left the shotgun in the closet because she was self conscious about prowling about with a shotgun. She said the next door neighbors wouldn't understand. (Yeah, I know there are other serious issues here.)

I fixed her up with a Ruger 101 and guess what? The next time she had to check for prowlers in the middle of the night she had the handgun in her hand. In her head, the handgun is less noticeable and she will actually retrieve and carry it.

It's not a good mindset, but many people feel weird packing a shotgun around the house or yard but will carry a handgun. Any handgun on the person is a lot better than the long gun left in the closet.

Feedback Score
    In recent years, hasn't there been documentation putting light on the data showing home invasions are being done by 2+ people, on average?

I dont have this data first hand, I do remember reading it, wether or not it was a credible source I cannot verify.

After I read this thread, I've done some very minimal research in Jacksonville, FL alone, where alot of invasions have been conducted by more than one person in the last 3 years.

With that said, depending on the shotgun, you have 7+1 with most popular setups?

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a firearm with only 8 rounds in it as a home defense weapon...

But, alas, i do not sell firearms....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by warpigM-4 View Post
    right on!!!! do any companies make a pump 410 ?I have seen and shot a bolt action 410 .I think a 115lb girl could do well with a 410
    Mossberg makes one. http://www.galleryofguns.com/Genie/D...=Blue&sit=Bead

I have one and I can say that the spreader choke does work somewhat. I mean at close ranges the pattern is still small, but it does get some spread. I would say that the gun would be great for someone small statured. The gun is fairly light and the stock is real short. That being said I'm not sure that a .410 would be a very good choice for home defense.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Wouldn't a 6920 end this discussion. Compact, low recoil, high capacity, able to defeat body armor and proven terminal effectiveness.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My opinion runs counter to many...but being and RO and teaching many first timers, day in and day out...here are my observations.

1) I can teach a timid first timer to hit a target much more easily, and with far better hit %'s with a 20ga than I can with a pistol.

A long gun with simple sights is pretty easy to pickup and point. A 20+" barrel with a bead isn't overly difficult to line up. I use my fist pushing into their shoulder to simulate how tightly they need to pull it in before they press the trigger, and I don't think I've ever had someone take one shot and walk away, after I prepped them.

2) I can teach "women" to hit the vitals on a B-27 easier with Glock than I can with a small revolver.

So many people try and push women into revolvers because "they're simple" and they don't have to learn the buttons and switches on autos.....It takes me just as long to teach controls as it does to get someone hitting reliably well with a J-frame.

As for the whole "not being strong enough to rack it"...I find those same people can't press double action revolver trigger too well, either. When you teach someone to bring the gun in close to their body, and use both arms in opposition, most everyone can rack an auto.

3) No matter how you cut it...time and energy needs to be invested in order to utilize any weapon effectively.

With J-frames, it's grip, using crap sights, and trigger control (ignoring reloads). With autos, it's grip, slide lock and mag release, and tap-rack. With a shotgun, it's how to mount the gun and manage recoil.

I would be inclined to advocate the 20ga though, as it is a little more intuitive for a first timer to aim, it offers a ballistic advantage to the shooter, and the manual of arms is very simple. IMO.
    Last edited by Jim D; 12-13-08 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Wouldn't a 6920 end this discussion. Compact, low recoil, high capacity, able to defeat body armor and proven terminal effectiveness.

I was in a gun store a month ago when a cop, who had a perp he had recently arrested, show up at his house and fire a round into his house. He wanted a shotgun for his wife for home defense while he was at work and I said why not an ar15, for all the above reasons, plus patterning of shot/over penetration of slugs and he said "because I want a shotgun". I know some cops I have worked with over the years think that the shotgun posses magic powers and don't want to hear another word.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Connor View Post
    In recent years, hasn't there been documentation putting light on the data showing home invasions are being done by 2+ people, on average?

I dont have this data first hand, I do remember reading it, wether or not it was a credible source I cannot verify.

After I read this thread, I've done some very minimal research in Jacksonville, FL alone, where alot of invasions have been conducted by more than one person in the last 3 years.

With that said, depending on the shotgun, you have 7+1 with most popular setups?

I wouldn't feel comfortable selling a firearm with only 8 rounds in it as a home defense weapon...

But, alas, i do not sell firearms....
    We are seeing more than one bad guy in home invasions. It is an alarming trend.

C4

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast