Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Tips and Tricks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Cleaning Tips and Tricks

Favorite Rifle / Pistol Cleaning Tips:

Share any tips you’ve tried over the years that work for you. There is no right or wrong way to clean a gun.

Let’s try not to talk oils please or it won’t end well.

- I like the CAT M4 tool for AR Bolt cleanup. I've not found anything that works as well as this to clean the carbon buildup inside the BC. Just put a patch on the end with solvent and start cranking.

- I use a small ultrasonic for small Rifle / Pistol parts, including mags.

- I cut off the end of a toothbrush at a sharp angle to reach into tight places with a patch or rag on the end, including around the gas tube in the receiver.

- I use charcoal laced toothbrushes for cleaning the front of a revolver cylinder as well as the top strap near the forcing cone.

- I use mild white scotch pads on highly carbonized areas where there is no danger of ruining a finish.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-18-21 at 07:04.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Q tips.

Pipe cleaners.

Green pads.

Shaving brushes.

And....one of those fluffy "dash duster" elongated dust mops from an auto parts store, to quickly clean the dust out of Kydex holsters.

Feedback Score
    Kerosene, and an air compressor.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Non-chlorinated brake cleaner in an aerosol can works well to clean those hard to reach places.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Be advised, it also makes metal devoid of oil/lubricant/preservative, and strips paint with a quickness.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    Be advised, it also makes metal devoid of oil/lubricant/preservative, and strips paint with a quickness.
    Add; melts FO Rod and plastics. It has a valid place in "cleaning bag o tricks", but knowledge before use is prudent.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    For me, brake cleaner is for cleaning your bore brush between brushings so you don't reintroduce crud to bore. Wet brush (with bore cleaner) bore, wipe crud off of rod, spray crud off brush, dry patch bore, wet patch bore. Repeat until wet patch emerges acceptably clean. Then a few dry patches. Then go shoothing or run a preservative patch thru bore before storing. Be sure to remove preservative (Couple of wet patches then several dry patches) before shooting. Don't blast brush with brake cleaner. It is wasteful. Barely push button for a dribble out of the attached straw with brush down so you can observe runoff.

I look forward to hearing other ways....
    Last edited by triggerjerk; 11-18-21 at 07:01. Reason: I'm doofus

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Favorite Rifle / Pistol Cleaning Tips:

Share any tips you’ve tried over the years that work for you. There is no right or wrong way to clean a gun.

Let’s try not to talk oils please or it won’t end well.

- I like the CAT M4 tool for AR Bolt cleanup. I've not found anything that works as well as this to clean the carbon buildup inside the BC. Just put a patch on the end with solvent and start cranking.

- I use a small ultrasonic for small Rifle / Pistol parts, including mags.

- I cut off the end of a toothbrush at a sharp angle to reach into tight places with a patch or rag on the end, including around the gas tube in the receiver.

- I use charcoal laced toothbrushes for cleaning the front of a revolver cylinder as well as the top strap near the forcing cone.

- I use mild white scotch pads on highly carbonized areas where there is no danger of ruining a finish.
    That cat tool is legit, I use for both AR15 and I have one for an AR10.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    That cat tool is legit, I use for both AR15 and I have one for an AR10.

PB
    Can I ask where you found the AR10 version?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I want it to remove the oil from the metal when it removes the crud from the barrel extension and barrel. I haven't had any issues with non-chlorinated brake cleaner stripping paint or melting plastic. On the other hand, chlorinated brake cleaner will strip paint right off the upper receiver.

I don't clean rifles until accuracy drops off, so my rifles don't get cleaned nearly as often as most people clean.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast