Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor causing my AR to fire bursts and fail to reset

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You can try swapping in a spring from another FCG, and see what happens.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What happened when you swapped out the disconnector spring, or replaced the entire fire control group?
    Last edited by grizzman; 11-24-21 at 22:28.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    What happened when you swapped out the disconnector spring, or replaced the entire fire control group?
    I don't know yet. It's on its way.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Does it use a standard spring? The thought of it being unique to the trigger never crossed my mind. I went to Geissele's site to see if they have springs for sale, but didn't see any. I did see the % off for the upcoming sale....which will probably cause me to get another.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I considered that, but it doesn't explain why it didn't do it for the first like 500 rounds, and why it got progressively worse over time.
    You ruled out bump fire, so your trigger should go back to the manufacturer.

Accidentally bump firing is common enough with these very light triggers, more so suppressed, even more on a 308 like polydeuces above.

It’s the first thing that he needs to rule out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You ruled out bump fire, so your trigger should go back to the manufacturer.

Accidentally bump firing is common enough with these very light triggers, more so suppressed, even more on a 308 like polydeuces above.

It’s the first thing that he needs to rule out.
    Idk, the part I can't wrap my mind around is why it wouldn't do it at all for hundreds of rounds and then get progressively worse. If it did it straight out of the box or I had changed my shooting style or something I would assume bump fire.

The only thing I did that was a variable is I used my 22 conversion a lot lately. I'm pretty far out in the boondocks, but I still have neighbors like 300 yards away in one direction, so when I shoot at night I use the 22 conversion so as not to piss them off. I'm kind of nocturnal, so even suppressed I imagine shooting 223 in the middle of the night might still be audible in their houses.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Bump fire.
    Bump fire meaning it is a spring issue? (in that scenario)

Side note,
    Suppressor design clearly is a lot of dark magic (science/art). Swapped can on that 13.5 upper and everything been running fine.
    Adding a bunch of weirdness to this topic- the can causing the burst also had massive poi shift with that (13.5) barrel, yet with an 18" ran fine, tightening/shift groups by ~ .5 moa., no issues.
    More 'voodoo' with shorter barrels (more back pressure)?
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post

Side note,
    Suppressor design clearly is a lot of dark magic (science/art). Swapped can on that 13.5 upper and everything been running fine.
    Adding a bunch of weirdness to this topic- the can causing the burst also had massive poi shift with that (13.5) barrel, yet with an 18" ran fine, tightening/shift groups by ~ .5 moa., no issues.
    More 'voodoo' with shorter barrels (more back pressure)?
    If there's a weakness in the system, it's always going to show up with short barrels first. They're less forgiving.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You know, I just remembered something. I did experience failures to reset early on with the 22 conversion. I just assumed it was the dirty 22 residue gumming up the trigger, but in hindsight it wasn't THAT dirty. So it's possible, now that I think about it, that I've been having trouble since day one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Idk, the part I can't wrap my mind around is why it wouldn't do it at all for hundreds of rounds and then get progressively worse. If it did it straight out of the box or I had changed my shooting style or something I would assume bump fire.
    If you are sure it’s not bump firing then it it something wrong with the trigger, dirty to the point of obstructing disconnector movement, broken hammer pin, disconnector spring installed the wrong way, disconnector spring binding, burr or excessive wear on a sear surface...

Quote Originally Posted by polydeuces View Post
    Bump fire means the rifle is bouncing forward enough after recoil that the trigger runs into your trigger finger and fires.

To troubleshoot for this you need to pull the trigger pretty hard and consciously keep it pulled all the way to the rear through recoil.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast