Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DMR type optic advice

Feedback Score

DMR type optic advice

Greetings,

i'm putting together a 5.56mm build with an 18" (actually 17.7" BA barrel) with a focus on shooting to a max of 600 yards. Mostly for fun, but would like to use in a class as well. I'm just getting into the long(er) range type shooting, and have aspirations for getting into some kind of competition featuring longer range shooting.

I'm struggling with the optic. My budget max is $1k. I recently picked up a Delta Stryker 1x6 for the general purpose gun I have. I like this optic a lot, but for the new build, want something with more magnification.

I don't know, but I'm guessing, something non LPVO'ish would be a better choice here? Something with a larger diameter objective lens would be better? Not as concerned with getting a low end magnification of 1x. I can always get an MRDS. I'd be good with a 2-4x low end, and topping out between 10-16x. Ideally, a 2-12 would be perfect, but I'm not seeing many options that fit the total package.

Key criteria are FFP, a good reticle for quick ranging/wind, low weight and a decent eye box/FOV. Illumination of daylight bright would be preferred, but I think that's a tall order for my budget. Daylight visible would work.

Of the reticles I've seen (only in pics and not in real life), the Primary Arms Griffin is leading the top of the list. It seems like it would work well for quick acquisition with ranging/wind. I've noticed many reticles for an FFP, seem to have a decent-great reticle for top end magnification, while barely being visible on the low end. The PA reticle seems to be very visible at all magnifications, again, based on pics.

Anyway, was hoping for some recommendations from folks that have done this kind of shooting. Some scopes that are current contenders are....

PA GLX 2.5-10 44, 22.5oz, $649: This is currently my top choice. FOV equates to less than 100ft at 100 yards if calculated at 1x. However, reticle looks to be really good at all magnifications (at least from pics)

PA GLX 4-16 50, 23.5oz, $699: Again, FOV is not as good as other choices, but not terrible. Surprised they don't offer the Griffin reticle for this. Seems more akin to a mix of ACSS and elements from the Shepard scope. Also, the heaviest of this selection

Trijicon Credo 2-10 36, 23oz, right around $1k: FOV is right at 100ft / 100 yards. Like the slimness, but wonder about the reticle on the low end

Sig Tango4 4-16 44, 20oz, $599: Weight is great, reticle I wonder about, and I have no idea how good/bad this series of scopes are. I get the sense they are "ok", but don't know

SWFA SS 3-15 42 24oz, $699: This one is a wild card. I have one of their fixed 10x from years ago, and not bad. Weight is a touch more than I'd like, but that's offset by greater magnification. No illumination, and the reticle is "ok". Not sure how it would be on the low end.

Athlon BTR Gen2 2-12 42, 22.5oz, $500: A dark horse, but very budget friendly choice. FOV is over 110ft/100yards and the reticle seems to be one of the better ones? I like the form factor, but wonder about quality

Vortex - They have some offerings that are in the sweet spot of the magnification range I'm looking for, but they top the list for too much weight, and from what I've seen, not a fan of the reticles.

If there are other recommendations, please let me know.

Very much appreciated.....thanks!
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nightforce SHV 4-14x50F1 is what I have on my SPR-type rifle. It would fall just outside your 1k budget but I see them for sale used for 950ish occasionally.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Nightforce SHV 4-14x50F1 is what I have on my SPR-type rifle. It would fall just outside your 1k budget but I see them for sale used for 950ish occasionally.
    I have the same on my LMT MWS. Ran it a DMR class Summer 2020 and it was rock solid. I’m extremely happy with it and highly recommend it for your price point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    Appreciate the info, but the scope is listed at 30oz. Looking to be closer to 20oz if not under.
    RESIST!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

DMR type optic advice

I don’t know every scope on the market but you have champagne taste on a beer budget.

Good luck with that, an ACOG is probably going to be as close as you get.

If that scope existed at that price everyone would be buying them.

The Leupy MK6 1-6 is considered a light scope, with a mount it’s well over your weight and nearly double your budget.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-19-21 at 21:54.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A SWFA 3-9 HD or 10x is more than enough for 600 yard shooting and well within your budget.

Nightforce NXS 2.5-10’s are excellent if you give up your FFP requirement and can be had for around $1k
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 11-19-21 at 22:15.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    This what I have on my budget SPR, paid 8 bills...
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-vipe...iflescope.html
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I have an FFP PST GEN 1 2.5-10 you can have for $600. Comes with EGW rings. New old stock, mounted rings, never shot it. Weighs under 20oz for sure and is arguably the best combo of glass and magnification Vortex had. Mil turret, mil reticle.

Feedback Score
    The SWFA 3-15 you mentioned is typically a really good option. Your weight requirement of 20 oz is going to be the limiting factor here, though. I think it's a mistake to get lost in the weeds over things like FOV.

Were I in the market, my top pics would be the

Vortex PST Gen II 3-15-44
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Vip...-PST-3159.aspx

Meopta Optika6 3-18x50
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Meopta-Opt...pe-653574.aspx

Athlon Ares BTR Gen 2 2.5-15x50
    https://www.eurooptic.com/Athlon-Are...pe-212012.aspx

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Oh, boy...optics for DMRs are usually more contentious discussions than for optics for precision rifles. BTW, I was a DM (not a sniper), so I know my lane. Short answer: get what you want. Longer answer: historically the mil used many different optics... Leupold MkIV, ACOG, now LPVO. About the only constant is nothing > 10X because at the DM ranges you simply do not need that much magnification. But that is military, so you do you.

I like SWFA. I this they are built like brick shi* houses and undervalued. I also like LVPO, and I think the Burris XTR II is the best optic for the $ under a grand. If you want to find a Leupold MkIV, you can find them under a grand, too.

I also think people get too weird about weight. If you are not putting on a 110# ruck and going on patrol, a few ounces one way or the other should not be a big deal. You also don't need FFP.

The post a few posts above with the guy offering his Vortex, that's not a bad deal for a good optic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast