Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holosun AEMS

Feedback Score

Holosun AEMS

Hi guys, I am considering buying a Holosun AEMS. I see that it ships with a lower 1/3 cowitness mount. Does anybody know if there is an absolute cowitness mount available for the AEMS? If so which brands make them and do you have a link? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are supposed to be a few well known companies which will be releasing mounts for the optic, according to the Holosun press releases. Haven't seen anything advertised yet, but the optic was just released.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    There are supposed to be a few well known companies which will be releasing mounts for the optic, according to the Holosun press releases. Haven't seen anything advertised yet, but the optic was just released.
    This is all I have seen online too. Bummer. I wish they had them released already.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A bit late to the party.

I thought I would try out the AEMS for S&G. I have several T2s and MROs, and, despite my astigmatism, they are fine for me. (EOTechs and Shields drive me crazy.) The AEMS is OK; no star or comet shaped dots. I know it's ChiComm. I thought I would try a Holosun, and I don't plan to buy another. The AEMS seems to be working out, but ...

I HATE THE MOUNT! I have no confidence that it will hold up under moderate to rough treatment. And every time I try to tighten it down, I feel like I am stripping the torx screw. (I thought that was the whole reason for torx, so that wouldn't happen.)

If I do not kill this thing, I will probably get an aftermarket mount when available. I hear that Reptilia has one in the works, but time will tell.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    A bit late to the party.

I thought I would try out the AEMS for S&G. I have several T2s and MROs, and, despite my astigmatism, they are fine for me. (EOTechs and Shields drive me crazy.) The AEMS is OK; no star or comet shaped dots. I know it's ChiComm. I thought I would try a Holosun, and I don't plan to buy another. The AEMS seems to be working out, but ...

I HATE THE MOUNT! I have no confidence that it will hold up under moderate to rough treatment. And every time I try to tighten it down, I feel like I am stripping the torx screw. (I thought that was the whole reason for torx, so that wouldn't happen.)

If I do not kill this thing, I will probably get an aftermarket mount when available. I hear that Reptilia has one in the works, but time will tell.
    I would want to see a lower mount for the AEMS from a quality manufacturer hit the market.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A bit late to the party.

How do you like the window/field of view and clarity?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How do you like the window/field of view and clarity?
    Those aspects are quite nice. The TV style window gives a larger view than the "toilet paper tube" that is the T2, and it doesn't have the tint of the MRO. The clear covers are very clear, and I would probably keep them up (i.e., look through them) for most purposes, but ... (you knew that was coming)

When the power is really cranked up in medium level light (e.g., a bright room with no artificial illumination) there is an artifact second reticle, which appears in the upper left corner of the viewing area. It is a reflection of the reticle playing off the lens cover. If you drop the ocular cover (I think) the reflection goes away. (I could be wrong about which cover; I can't check it at this moment.) This is not a major detriment because it only happens when adjusting the red dot illumination far above what is appropriate to the situation. With more ambient light, there is less chance that this will happen. For example, I can make the artifact occur indoors at the top three illumination levels; outdoors it barely happens at all, and then only when the ambient light is dim. The solution is to turn down the red dot illumination (which is too high anyway), or drop the transparent covers.

Other than that small complaint, I do like the view, the lack of weight, the clarity, and the operation of the sight. But, the mount will not allow me to completely trust it. I have only had it for a few weeks, so I have not had a lot of time to test it further.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Those aspects are quite nice. The TV style window gives a larger view than the "toilet paper tube" that is the T2, and it doesn't have the tint of the MRO. The clear covers are very clear, and I would probably keep them up (i.e., look through them) for most purposes, but ... (you knew that was coming)

When the power is really cranked up in medium level light (e.g., a bright room with no artificial illumination) there is an artifact second reticle, which appears in the upper left corner of the viewing area. It is a reflection of the reticle playing off the lens cover. If you drop the ocular cover (I think) the reflection goes away. (I could be wrong about which cover; I can't check it at this moment.) This is not a major detriment because it only happens when adjusting the red dot illumination far above what is appropriate to the situation. With more ambient light, there is less chance that this will happen. For example, I can make the artifact occur indoors at the top three illumination levels; outdoors it barely happens at all, and then only when the ambient light is dim. The solution is to turn down the red dot illumination (which is too high anyway), or drop the transparent covers.

Other than that small complaint, I do like the view, the lack of weight, the clarity, and the operation of the sight. But, the mount will not allow me to completely trust it. I have only had it for a few weeks, so I have not had a lot of time to test it further.
    Thank you for that review. You're confirming what I expected the high points to be, and clarifying the low points. I'm looking forward to when the Reptila mount is released, and I'll likely pick up an AEMS then.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thank you for that review. You're confirming what I expected the high points to be, and clarifying the low points. I'm looking forward to when the Reptila mount is released, and I'll likely pick up an AEMS then.
    I was reflecting on this during the evening and thought I would spout my opinion on another aspect of these sights that might be pertinent: the auto adjustment feature. I believe that Holosun has really missed the boat on this. It works OK when outdoors, but fails indoors. This is largely because the photovoltaic cell/arrangement (which also serves as the light sensor) is on top of the sight. This is measuring light from the wrong direction (above) when it should be measuring along the axis of the sight (forward). This leads to the famous "washout" phenomenon where the reticle disappears, usually when in a dim condition looking at a brighter area (e.g., out of a window). In other words, the light sensor is oriented 90 degrees off the direction it should be measuring. Also, there is a noticeable lag in adjustment times when light conditions change, maybe a second. The point being, if you plan to use this indoors, don't use the auto adjust feature.

Just for fun, this is what I have observed in some other sights:

Shield SIS (British military backup sight): seems to have a sensor aligned about 45-60 degrees off the sight axis; nice try but not that useful.

Trijicon ACOGs: with the light collection tubes and the etched reticle, these actually work well for a "self-adjusting" sight; the ones with longer tubes (e.g., TA11 series) are pretty hard to washout, but you can do it if you are in a dark area looking into a slightly less dark area at a dark target.

Trijicon RMR (electronic adjustment, Type 2): these do self-adjust, but there is a time lag and it never seems to adjust quite the way I would like; still a mystery.

Trijicon Tripower: a really magnificent fail; if three power sources can not find the right illumination balance, nothing can; the spiraling light collection tube, and the tritium illumination, was supposed to do this. Perhaps this is why it is no longer sold. See:

http://combatopticsreviews.com/trijicon-tripower-revie/

Finally, the Trijicon Reflex with forward facing light sensors: I have no experience with these, but apparently it did not perform as advertised; note the location of the light collection cells. See:

https://www.trijicon.com/discontinue...etails/rx06-23

Maybe someday someone will get it.
    Last edited by Amicus; 12-09-21 at 08:47. Reason: Can't spell

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I was reflecting on this during the evening and thought I would spout my opinion on another aspect of these sights that might be pertinent: the auto adjustment feature. I believe that Holosun has really missed the boat on this. It works OK when outdoors, but fails indoors. This is largely because the photovoltaic cell/arrangement (which also serves as the light sensor) is on top of the sight. This is measuring light from the wrong direction (above) when it should be measuring along the axis of the sight (forward). This leads to the famous "washout" phenomenon where the reticle disappears, usually when in a dim condition looking at a brighter area (e.g., out of a window). In other words, the light sensor is oriented 90 degrees off the direction it should be measuring. Also, there is a noticeable lag in adjustment times when light conditions change, maybe a second. The point being, if you plan to use this indoors, don't use the auto adjust feature.

Just for fun, this is what I have observed in some other sights:

Shield SIS (British military backup sight): seems to have a sensor aligned about 45-60 degrees off the sight axis; nice try but not that useful.

Trijicon ACOGs: with the light collection tubes and the etched reticle, these actually work well for a "self-adjusting" sight; the ones with longer tubes (e.g., TA11 series) are pretty hard to washout, but you can do it if you are in a dark area looking into a slightly less dark area at a dark target.

Trijicon RMR (electronic adjustment, Type 2): these do self-adjust, but there is a time lag and it never seems to adjust quite the way I would like; still a mystery.

Trijicon Tripower: a really magnificent fail; if three power sources can not find the right illumination balance, nothing can; the spiraling light collection tube, and the tritium illumination, was supposed to do this. Perhaps this is why it is no longer sold. See:

http://combatopticsreviews.com/trijicon-tripower-revie/

Finally, the Trijicon Reflex with forward facing light sensors: I have no experience with these, but apparently it did not perform as advertised; note the location of the light collection cells. See:

https://www.trijicon.com/discontinue...etails/rx06-23

Maybe someday someone will get it.
    Yeah, I've given up on the whole auto-brightness thing. I just turn it off and manually adjust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast