Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Dead Gun! Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    I see this happen a lot when people use military crimp removers and get overzealous and cut out half of the primer pocket.
    You lose half of the depth of the pocket and half of the pocket wall adhesion on the primer as a result.
    A primer pocket swage will remove a crimp and not completely ruin the brass by removing the primer pocket.
    I've had the opposite experience. The super swager would ruin my pockets, where the hornady cutting tool was self limiting. I hand prime brass and sideline loose pockets to be shot in a batch where I'm willing to deal with a popped primer.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've had the opposite experience. The super swager would ruin my pockets, where the hornady cutting tool was self limiting. I hand prime brass and sideline loose pockets to be shot in a batch where I'm willing to deal with a popped primer.
    RCBS tools that do that are self limiting as well. Not possible to ream too much as the tools will only allow you to go so far...

Same here with the use of a hand primer. You can definitely 'feel' when the pocket is not right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well I’m glad you guys are using self limiting cutting tools and aren’t dumb. The ones I saw were definitely not limited. I’ll see if I can find some in the bin and post a pic.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman_04 View Post
    Well I’m glad you guys are using self limiting cutting tools and aren’t dumb. The ones I saw were definitely not limited. I’ll see if I can find some in the bin and post a pic.
    You are not at all wrong about some guys using the wrong tool and going too far with it.

There are guys that will ream using whatever they have laying around instead of spending what 20 bucks? on something intended for the task and designed so you can't screw up.

I am guilty. Screwed up my share before buying the right tool to do it that way.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234