Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Bolt cracked.

Feedback Score

Anderson Bolt cracked.

I picked up a part time job at a gun range and ran into this gem in October and figured I post it. A guy came in with a new Anderson complete rifle and it was his first AR15. The guy was in his mid forties and he was excited to shoot it. He came back in after about 10 mins saying something was wrong with his rifle and it wouldn't cycle. We broke down the rifle and I found the following and I wasn't really surprised. I know Anderson are horrible quality, but when it cant even last 3 rounds of M193 that is just disgusting. I explained to him the long history of Andersons subpar QC of their products and he wasn't happy. We Inspected the carrier and it looked fine and no other damage to the upper was found. I told him to order a complete BCM bolt carrier and this wont be a issue again. He got the rifle very cheap in the 400.00 range and I said even a budget smith and Wesson M&P rifle is leaps in quality above Andersons. He asked what should he do and my advice was to repair the rifle and continue to shoot the rifle and try to enjoy it. I did advise him to replace the other known cheap parts that Anderson likes to cut corners on and he should be good to go. Really makes me mad at the crap they still put out and people still try to argue its all just a roll mark.
    anderson.jpg
    Last edited by zack991; 11-20-21 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    That's a first for me, never seen a bolt break there. Seen them break at the cam pin hole, but usually after many rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    That's a first for me, never seen a bolt break there. Seen them break at the cam pin hole, but usually after many rounds.
    I've never seen one break there either. Before I saw the picture, I was thinking I would have just changed the bolt. But after seeing that, there definitely might be an issue with the carrier too, so that was a good idea for Zak991 to recommend getting a whole new bolt carrier group.

Thanks for posting the pic Zak991.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    It's just as good though!
    nawai

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Wow, have never seen a tail break before

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    Wow, have never seen a tail break before
    Yea I have always seen them break at the cam hole, we ended up taking the complete carrier out of our M&P rental rifle and it fired perfectly with the same ammo. Anderson is deficiently cheaper and they brake alot in classes but I never seen one break like that.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Your advice regarding the BCM BCG is solid, but Anderson would surely warranty the bolt.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Your advice regarding the BCM BCG is solid, but Anderson would surely warranty the bolt.

Andy
    Yea I told him they would happily warranty it for him, he asked if the new bolt would be inspected. I said not like other companies do. I said they do batch testing and they do not do MPI testing as an example. I said just buy a better quality BCG from BCM or other reputable brand and there wouldn't be any concern of quality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you look closely at the picture you can see the crack in the bolt at the cam pin hole.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    If you look closely at the picture you can see the crack in the bolt at the cam pin hole.
    Good catch. Probably really bad heat treatment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast