Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

I am really struggling with LPVOs

I have a couple guns with Accupower 1-8s on them. But honestly ina, having a harder and harder time justifying their use.

My first problem is the weight. By the time I add even a lightweight mount this thing is 2lbs. That is a lot of weight to add, even when positioned further back on the rifle.

Secondly I am a lot slower with them. As strange as it sounds I am faster with my ACOG than I am the LPVOs. Since I do almost no shooting past 75-100 yards the longer range advantage they offer really isn’t there for me.

Am I missing something, or am I really just trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole because it is the new hotness. I kind of feel like I would be better off with a couple magnifiers on my aimpoint micros.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Are you having problems with the LPVO at 1x 8x or in between?

I leave mine at 1x 90% of the time which is almost as fast as a red dot for target acquisition but I can't leave it magnified and pick up a target.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I have a couple guns with Accupower 1-8s on them. But honestly ina, having a harder and harder time justifying their use.

My first problem is the weight. By the time I add even a lightweight mount this thing is 2lbs. That is a lot of weight to add, even when positioned further back on the rifle.

Secondly I am a lot slower with them. As strange as it sounds I am faster with my ACOG than I am the LPVOs. Since I do almost no shooting past 75-100 yards the longer range advantage they offer really isn’t there for me.

Am I missing something, or am I really just trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole because it is the new hotness. I kind of feel like I would be better off with a couple magnifiers on my aimpoint micros.
    I currently do not own a single lpvo.

I have rifles with RDOs, rifles with acogs, and rifles with higher power scopes

I also have zero issues running an acog at close range, and prefer their size and weight as compared to a lpvo. I have tried a lot of the lpvo out their, the last one being the accupower 1-8, and I always end up going back to my acog.

That being said, I know I am in the minority

Soli Deo Gloria

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you’re not shooting past 100y, why even bother with a LPVO?

Feedback Score
    If you do well 100 yards in with a red dot, you do not need a LPVO.

LPVOs are different tools in the toolbox. If the ACOG or an Aimpoint works fine, no need to change.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Target acquisition should be just as fast with a LVPO as it is with a red dot. Plenty of evidence to support it (a bunch of vids on YT). But I echo above: if your max range is fine for a RDS or ACOG, then just stick with it.

Feedback Score
    Accupower 1-8x is heavy partly due to the 34mm main tube...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    It sounds like you know the truth in your heart.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    If you’re not shooting past 100y, why even bother with a LPVO?
    If you're trying to hit much smaller targets at those ranges. As Chuck Pressburg argues, he sees the use of LPVOs on LE patrol rifles not to make hits on a reduced IPSC at 200 or 300 yards or a full size at 400 or 500 yards, but to put a bullet into the eye-socket of a threat that is peaking out from behind the back of a vehicle at 63 yards, while the threat is properly utilizing cover for the most part, only peeking out with a small bit of their face at a time. A magnifier behind an RDS/HWS may lack the proper reticle to provide enough info on holdovers to do it as easily.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Target acquisition should be just as fast with a LVPO as it is with a red dot. Plenty of evidence to support it (a bunch of vids on YT).
    Maybe for flat range stuff. Start throwing in unorthodox shooting positions in full kit, and it will likely be much slower unless one puts in very significant practice, and even then, it's unlikely one will be just as fast compared to an RDS or HWS.

The problem might partially also do with the optic itself, the Accupowers aren't exactly renowned for their eyebox and optical performance (which is not to say that they suck, but just that they're not in the same league as some of the other LPVOs).

LPVOs and RDS/HWS with magnifier fulfill distinctly different roles, IMO. The RDS/HWS with magnifier will never come close to the low-light performance of an LPVO, particularly with an RDS, and also typically lacks a useful reticle to push it out to a longer range. The LPVO will almost always be more bulky, heavier, and generally slower in unorthodox positions. An ACOG with an RDS I have no experience with, but I imagine the main problem there is that the RDS will always be in a less than optimal spot, and BAC just isn't a good solution if you need any kind of precision, given the issues of phoria (was it Molon that did a test on that?). It might also suffer in unorthodox positions, depending on the model used and how tight its eyebox is.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    If you're trying to hit much smaller targets at those ranges. As Chuck Pressburg argues, he sees the use of LPVOs on LE patrol rifles not to make hits on a reduced IPSC at 200 or 300 yards or a full size at 400 or 500 yards, but to put a bullet into the eye-socket of a threat that is peaking out from behind the back of a vehicle at 63 yards, while the threat is properly utilizing cover for the most part, only peeking out with a small bit of their face at a time. A magnifier behind an RDS/HWS may lack the proper reticle to provide enough info on holdovers to do it as easily.

Maybe for flat range stuff. Start throwing in unorthodox shooting positions in full kit, and it will likely be much slower unless one puts in very significant practice, and even then, it's unlikely one will be just as fast compared to an RDS or HWS.

The problem might partially also do with the optic itself, the Accupowers aren't exactly renowned for their eyebox and optical performance (which is not to say that they suck, but just that they're not in the same league as some of the other LPVOs).

LPVOs and RDS/HWS with magnifier fulfill distinctly different roles, IMO. The RDS/HWS with magnifier will never come close to the low-light performance of an LPVO, particularly with an RDS, and also typically lacks a useful reticle to push it out to a longer range. The LPVO will almost always be more bulky, heavier, and generally slower in unorthodox positions. An ACOG with an RDS I have no experience with, but I imagine the main problem there is that the RDS will always be in a less than optimal spot, and BAC just isn't a good solution if you need any kind of precision, given the issues of phoria (was it Molon that did a test on that?). It might also suffer in unorthodox positions, depending on the model used and how tight its eyebox is.
    One note to point out. The piggybacked reddot on an ACOG is high, but not any higher than the ultra high mounts that seem to be all the rage. It's definitely a compromise but it works.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast