Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    SIG Juliet 4X. Reviews were good, price acceptable, at least assembled in the USA. I like mine a lot. At first I wanted an EOtech 5X but none were to be had within my timeline. I still want to see one in person.
    Have you compared it to Aimpoint or Vortex magnifiers?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Have you compared it to Aimpoint or Vortex magnifiers?
    I have an Aimpoint 3X also, one of the earlier more expensive ones. I got it as a display model so reduced in price. Glass quality, to my eyes, is equal between them. Maybe I'm not as discriminating as others but I find both to be high quality. I've read that EOtech is the best for brightness, light transmission. The Aimpoint came with the twist off base but they sell a twist off, flip to side which I bought afterward. I also got a rear iron from XS sight system that fits to the twist off base so pretty cool.

But in the end I like the SIG for the 4X power and quick detach base. There is zero room for a rear iron but the magnifier is paired with a Aimpoint Comp M4 so little chance of failure there. Even so, I did zero a DD A1A rear iron before I attached the optics so I have that.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I was playing with a new vortex micro magnifier and back up sight positions. Rear sight next to the charging handle made for very close cheek weld to charging handle. Figured if I mounted both backup sights on the handrail then I could get a much better stock position and further cheekweld from the charging handle. Worked pretty good using both sights through my Holosun 510 when using the large aparture on my magpul flipup.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    I was playing with a new vortex micro magnifier and back up sight positions. Rear sight next to the charging handle made for very close cheek weld to charging handle. Figured if I mounted both backup sights on the handrail then I could get a much better stock position and further cheekweld from the charging handle. Worked pretty good using both sights through my Holosun 510 when using the large aparture on my magpul flipup.
    What position is your stock in?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    2 or 3. The angled portion of the buffer tube is showing where it levels out.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Call me crazy but anyone approaching and firing at me or my home gets shot. I don't need to PID anyone at that point. What seems to be common is people fabricating a very specific situation to justify their position. No doubt everyone's home is different, except for the majority who live in urban areas that all look the same and nearly all with less than 300 metres of clear line of sight. The use of binoculars or a monocular are viable options. I completely agree that an LPVO or magnifier isn't a bad option, it's just not absolutely necessary.
    You assume people would approaching firing upon your household. They may, and if they do, what makes you assume you can distinguish where they are? Magnification could help pinpoint someone mostly hidden or camo'd.

It's where I would like a magnifier. It acts as the monocular you pointed out, and that monocular can mount to your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Very true; much of what's here is standing on the shoulders or hypothetical and assumption of what people think/assume would happen in what they perceive
    as the most likely scenario.

This has been a very illuminating and very frustrating display of seeing people not knowing what they don't know. The tired expression of "mission drives the gear"...all well and good IF you know your "mission".

Cheers
    I can agree there. If someone KNOWs any "mission" they would be involved with, I'd like to see there crystal ball. One can statistically deduce more likely scenarios based off their home, neighborhood, local crime, cities within a certain distances and their factors. I will say some can be similar, but none the exact same.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

I can agree there. If someone KNOWs any "mission" they would be involved with, I'd like to see there crystal ball. One can statistically deduce more likely scenarios based off their home, neighborhood, local crime, cities within a certain distances and their factors. I will say some can be similar, but none the exact same.
    I'm not too proud to admit that it did not escape my notice when serving on a team for many years how many times:
    - I found myself exactly in a position I was told by instructors I would "never" be in
    - I found myself in a circumstance thinking to myself "Well THIS is new" revealing a fresh, new problem or challenge not yet encountered* that had to be at least discussed or addressed after the fact
    - I found our theoretical solutions for not-yet-encountered were flawed when fully implemented compared to controlled or compromised context of training.

* inevitably not happening yet eventually becomes: "it won't happen" and that's a slippery slope.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 02-19-22 at 14:43.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    You assume people would approaching firing upon your household. They may, and if they do, what makes you assume you can distinguish where they are? Magnification could help pinpoint someone mostly hidden or camo'd.

It's where I would like a magnifier. It acts as the monocular you pointed out, and that monocular can mount to your rifle.

Very good points.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I've tended to always come back to LPVO's and Carbines in the 13.9-16in length. While I have a 12.3in build, that is suppressed and loaded with 60gr TAP, its for at home only. If I'm venturing out, whether its on a road trip, camping trip, out to do property management, out to train or teach a class, I ALWAYS have wanted a rifle with a LPVO or MPVO. Why? Because its whats most useful for my AO and "mission set" if you will call it that.

Where I am in North East Indiana, on the 504 acres that we farm and having our range and company training facility on I am situated between a city of 150,000+ 15 miles to my north and a city of 12,000 6 miles to my south. I have already determined that direct action is the "least" likely, but not unlikely thing to happen. I will more likely be watching and waiting, ie doing RECCE work. So for me a Carbine capable of engaging 600 yards, with enough magnification to PID, make precision shots if needed and dial down and still work like a LPVO is what I need. Also have an offset dot for that option.

Right now I'm playing with the Sig Tango MSR 1-10x28 while I rebuild my funds that where depleted by my surprise 2nd child (12 months apart) and can get the Mark 5HD 3.6-18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    I've tended to always come back to LPVO's and Carbines in the 13.9-16in length. While I have a 12.3in build, that is suppressed and loaded with 60gr TAP, its for at home only. If I'm venturing out, whether its on a road trip, camping trip, out to do property management, out to train or teach a class, I ALWAYS have wanted a rifle with a LPVO or MPVO. Why? Because its whats most useful for my AO and "mission set" if you will call it that.

Where I am in North East Indiana, on the 504 acres that we farm and having our range and company training facility on I am situated between a city of 150,000+ 15 miles to my north and a city of 12,000 6 miles to my south. I have already determined that direct action is the "least" likely, but not unlikely thing to happen. I will more likely be watching and waiting, ie doing RECCE work. So for me a Carbine capable of engaging 600 yards, with enough magnification to PID, make precision shots if needed and dial down and still work like a LPVO is what I need. Also have an offset dot for that option.

Right now I'm playing with the Sig Tango MSR 1-10x28 while I rebuild my funds that where depleted by my surprise 2nd child (12 months apart) and can get the Mark 5HD 3.6-18
    Sounds like you did your homework.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516