Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Begs the question: "What is the 'mission set' for the HD citizen?" I'm told above that things are different in NJ compared to the FL panhandle compared to (where ever I'm from)...might that not be the same variance from individual to individual...region to region?

Somewhere between the Red Dawn LARPing fantasies of donning NVG's, plate carriers and the white bread reality that your encounter will just as likely be with your CCW outside your home or not be as planned if defending your home. If going by "most likely", we should all just have j-frames and 870's and drive a Toyota Camry.
    The defining parameters of an armed citizen are probably more blurred than any of the others IMHO.

I won't disagree that fore solely short-range, reactive, CQB style shooting is why I still have a dedicated Rifle with an Aimpoint, but as stated it is a "niche'" weapon. Or potentially, an ACOG/rmr may indeed be a better value for some.

My other guns, I also hunt, compete, and shoot them for general amusement as well in addition to being able to do 98+% of the above job.

IF an individual were looking to follow the example, it would indeed be that of an LE sniper based on the individual/pair dynamic, general emphasis on skill and stealth over dynamic violence of action given the probability of working as an individual (or pair if you're lucky). And (despite what some here think) the context of application of force based not on .mil ROE but state criminal statute.

...but obviously I'm a bit biased toward that role.
    Amended.....
    Good post

Happy Thanksgiving
    Last edited by RUTGERS95; 11-25-21 at 12:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have a ton to add, but I also went down the LPVO stream then switched back to a red dot. For how I worked with the red dot and my realistic expectations of when I'll have to use my gear it's the best fit for me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Begs the question: "What is the 'mission set' for the HD citizen?" I'm told above that things are different in NJ compared to the FL panhandle compared to (where ever I'm from)...might that not be the same variance from individual to individual...region to region?

Somewhere between the Red Dawn LARPing fantasies of donning NVG's, plate carriers and the white bread reality that your encounter will just as likely be with your CCW outside your home or not be as planned if defending your home. If going by "most likely", we should all just have j-frames and 870's and drive a Toyota Camry.
    The defining parameters of an armed citizen are probably more blurred than any of the others IMHO.

I won't disagree that fore solely short-range, reactive, CQB style shooting is why I still have a dedicated Rifle with an Aimpoint, but as stated it is a "niche'" weapon. Or potentially, an ACOG/rmr may indeed be a better value for some.

My other guns, I also hunt, compete, and shoot them for general amusement as well in addition to being able to do 98+% of the above job.

IF an individual were looking to follow the example, it would indeed be that of an LE sniper based on the individual/pair dynamic, general emphasis on skill and stealth over dynamic violence of action given the probability of working as an individual (or pair if you're lucky). And (despite what some here think) the context of application of force based not on .mil ROE but state criminal statute.

...but obviously I'm a bit biased toward that role.
    I 100% agree.

My take on the reality for most HD possibilities ends with a setup that offers good to excellent short range capabilities. The possibility for decent mid range (300 metres) capability. All while remaining as light as possible with a very reliable and robust aiming system. This leans heavily towards an RDO or ACOG.

On a side note, I'm not against multiple rifles with different setups for different purposes. I see a lot of merit in using your HD/fighting gun for everything and working around or through the shortcomings. Honing skills with ones HD setup takes priority over recreational shooting performance in my mind.
    Last edited by Mysteryman; 11-26-21 at 22:45.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I’m actually getting rid of my px4i when I get back. I have 3 if the same different scopes and really see no need for 4 LPVO. Granted that won’t be until March 2022.

Feedback Score
    What about the pst2 1-6 that has a center red dot? It is sfp, which is the only thing I am not a huge fan of, but like that at on low power the reticle is big enough. I am not quit as fast as with my PRO, but it seems like a good compromise between everything and checks a few extra between rds and the lpvo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I am really struggling with LPVOs

Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    What about the pst2 1-6 that has a center red dot? It is sfp, which is the only thing I am not a huge fan of, but like that at on low power the reticle is big enough. I am not quit as fast as with my PRO, but it seems like a good compromise between everything and checks a few extra between rds and the lpvo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I think it works well so far.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARMED CITIZEN View Post
    Iron sights are AWESOME for fast, accurate shooting!!!!!!!
    GTFO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    The biggest problem with LPVOs is that they are cost prohibitive if one is looking for a bombproof optic for heavy use/SHTF scenarios. I can drop $400 on an Aimpoint PRO and have a sight that I can take into combat. I drop $400 on an LPVO, I have an optic that's probably good for range and competition. But one that will be good for worst case scenarios? I don't know.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're not shooting past 100 yards then they make absolutely no sense. Especially an 8x. At 100 yards, you might benefit from something like a low power ACOG, but for combat accuracy at that range magnification is pretty much only going to hurt you.

I also found the Accupower 1-8 to be terrible. The reticle is so big you couldn't use it on a man sized target at any range requiring that much magnification. I mean it's absurdly fat. The Accupoint 1-6 was pretty decent, but of course has no functionality as an RDS at close range. The only LPVO I've seen that lives up to the concept is the short dot, but youch! The price...

You might like an Aimpoint CompM5 or T2 with one of their magnifiers. That's a relatively affordable way to get the best of both worlds without having to cough up the cheddar for a short dot. Although you don't get a reticle or mildot graduations, so you're still dealing with that fat dot and no holdovers at the longer ranges. So honestly I'm not sure if it makes any sense to have a 6x magnifier when you're still stuck with a fat dot and nothing to use for holdovers.

I think at the end of the day you just have to decide whether it's a CQB or SPR style gun and pick your optic accordingly. Red dots rule for CQB and around 10x mildots rule for precise shots at longer ranges. Things that are in between or hybrids...just kinda suck all around. Or cost a lot of money if they don't.
    Last edited by okie; 11-28-21 at 23:49.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    They don't really offer much in REAL long range. Shoot! There's times were we get on the 15X Nightforce and it seems low magnification compared to the 24X big brothers.

No. LPVOs are very niche to me. And the bulk and weight you mentioned isn't worth the limited range.

You can do just fine with a 3-9x out to 1,000 yards. I had no trouble hitting at 9x with a Savage 10FP. Group size when the Wyoming wind died down was 10-12” with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain. 8x shouldn’t be that much different. Maybe you will find it’s best from 600-800 yards.
    Last edited by tomrkba; 11-29-21 at 09:19.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast