Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Absolutes are a dangerous game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you're referring to my statement about engaging people who approach then I need to clarify. Obviously you would use your brain and determine if there is a threat. I assumed that was a given but apparently not. The basis for the statement is sound. Armed individuals approaching you, shooting at you, verbally threatening you etc leave little doubt as to their intentions. Openly brandishing a firearm in a civilized nation is not common. Such actions in a war zone are absolutely the norm. Hence PID being more crucial and complex than in an HD scenario.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I got your point. PID for home defense is much easier to determine than identifying a possible enemy combatant at several hundred metres. Context. No one stateside is a threat to you at several hundred metres. People approaching you or in your home with a weapon are fair game. Not always the case in a war zone where PID is critical.
    Not everyones home is the same. They are a threat if they are shooting at you, especially with a rifle, and a group approaching a home with rifles, especially if I know shelves are bare at the store, they are a threat. Magnification could make the difference in identifying.

IMO, an LPVO or even a magnifier is an asset, even for the average person.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Not everyones home is the same. They are a threat if they are shooting at you, especially with a rifle, and a group approaching a home with rifles, especially if I know shelves are bare at the store, they are a threat. Magnification could make the difference in identifying.

IMO, an LPVO or even a magnifier is an asset, even for the average person.
    Call me crazy but anyone approaching and firing at me or my home gets shot. I don't need to PID anyone at that point. What seems to be common is people fabricating a very specific situation to justify their position. No doubt everyone's home is different, except for the majority who live in urban areas that all look the same and nearly all with less than 300 metres of clear line of sight. The use of binoculars or a monocular are viable options. I completely agree that an LPVO or magnifier isn't a bad option, it's just not absolutely necessary.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    What seems to be common is people fabricating a very specific situation to justify their position.
    Very true; much of what's here is standing on the shoulders or hypothetical and assumption of what people think/assume would happen in what they perceive
    as the most likely scenario.

This has been a very illuminating and very frustrating display of seeing people not knowing what they don't know. The tired expression of "mission drives the gear"...all well and good IF you know your "mission".

Cheers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    Very true; much of what's here is standing on the shoulders or hypothetical and assumption of what people think/assume would happen in what they perceive
    as the most likely scenario.

This has been a very illuminating and very frustrating display of seeing people not knowing what they don't know. The tired expression of "mission drives the gear"...all well and good IF you know your "mission".

Cheers
    I'm not sure I could agree more with this statement... this debate is truly a personal issue...

look around you and your environment then make the best and most educated decision you can..no ONE tool fits all the jobs.. If your environment and physical ability to PID targets is limited by astigmatism then run with LPVO and TRAIN to use it... imagine it was all you had and you were gonna face the zombie hordes alone... you would be training to use what you had available... if RDS is your thing... then TRAIN with it.....its pretty much it... simplicity

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think what most of us suffer with is the proverbial search for the Holy Grail of optics/rifle/light/sling setup. All while trying to cover as many bases as possible, real or perceived. For those with any time at this quest you soon learn that there is no Holy Grail, and there will always be trade offs. Make your choice, place your bets.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think what most of us suffer with is the proverbial search for the Holy Grail of optics/rifle/light/sling setup. All while trying to cover as many bases as possible, real or perceived. For those with any time at this quest you soon learn that there is no Holy Grail, and there will always be trade offs. Make your choice, place your bets.
    Totally agree. The first optic I bought along with my first AR was an Aimpoint Pro. Awesome battery life but the dot wasn't a dot to my eyes. Struggled with it for years before selling it. I shot irons for a few more years which taught me a lot but I was searching for that silver bullet. For me it's an Aimpoint Comp M4 with 4X magnifier which works for what I do which is mainly 2 gun competition. Lots of guys like the LPVO but for me it's the RD with magnifier.
    Do research, try as many as possible and make the best educated choice you can.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Totally agree. The first optic I bought along with my first AR was an Aimpoint Pro. Awesome battery life but the dot wasn't a dot to my eyes. Struggled with it for years before selling it. I shot irons for a few more years which taught me a lot but I was searching for that silver bullet. For me it's an Aimpoint Comp M4 with 4X magnifier which works for what I do which is mainly 2 gun competition. Lots of guys like the LPVO but for me it's the RD with magnifier.
    Do research, try as many as possible and make the best educated choice you can.
    Which 4x are you using?

Feedback Score
    53 (100%)
    Totally agree, wise post.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Which 4x are you using?
    SIG Juliet 4X. Reviews were good, price acceptable, at least assembled in the USA. I like mine a lot. At first I wanted an EOtech 5X but none were to be had within my timeline. I still want to see one in person.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 02-17-22 at 07:41.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast