Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    It sounds like you know the truth in your heart.
    Kinda. I just really wanted other views so I could work through anything I might be missing.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Target acquisition should be just as fast with a LVPO as it is with a red dot. Plenty of evidence to support it (a bunch of vids on YT). But I echo above: if your max range is fine for a RDS or ACOG, then just stick with it.
    At the indoor range I have no problem. But when shooting on the move or in odd positions I really struggle. And offhand is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    If you’re not shooting past 100y, why even bother with a LPVO?
    Because they are the new hotness and everyone says I should use them. ��

Thanks everyone. I am starting to think I may get rid of at least one, and maybe both of them. No reason to force something.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I had the trijicon accupower 1-8 and hated it. It was huge, the glass was dark. The reticle was meh. The turrets were meh.

I have a number of other lvpo and live them. Night force is I think the best value. I have a 1-4 and 1-8 both great. I wish the 1-4 was still available. It like it the best.

So get a different/better scope.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I think too many people shoehorn themselves into an LPVO because there’s so many people hawking them as the do all optic.

They’re really more of a niche optic when it comes to the long gun used for defense against humans in the USA.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I run an Aimpoint on duty. With a G33.
    I have one lpvo. I’ve had them all, but for the mid range work I do in multigun, the razor 1-6 serves me best. Other than that, I have Aimpoints and eotechs. Aimpoints for when I need to be able to leave it on (like on duty). Eotechs for when I don’t, like normal range work inside 2-300.
    If I only ever shot inside 100, I’d have absolutely no use for lpvo. As an aside, with my astigmatism, eotechs work best but the battery life doesn’t always lend itself to all roles.
    I hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you basically never shoot past 100 yards (and don't attempt to achieve tiny groups at 50), then I agree that an LPVO makes little sense. I don't shoot past 100 yards regularly, so I have one LPVO....just in case I have the need for one. I've had no desire to get another one.

What mount height are you using? To achieve speed, a solid and completely repeatable cheekweld is critical. Tall mounts are also the current hotness, but you won't see me using one. I've been running low mounted variables on hunting bolt actions for decades, so keeping the same cheekweld as they have is a huge benefit to me. If a person can throw their lightweight hunting rifle to their shoulder and get a perfect image basically every time (even with 3 to 4.5 times magnification at the low end), then there's no reason to not be able to do the same with an LPVO.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    If you basically never shoot past 100 yards (and don't attempt to achieve tiny groups at 50), then I agree that an LPVO makes little sense. I don't shoot past 100 yards regularly, so I have one LPVO....just in case I have the need for one. I've had no desire to get another one.

What mount height are you using? To achieve speed, a solid and completely repeatable cheekweld is critical. Tall mounts are also the current hotness, but you won't see me using one. I've been running low mounted variables on hunting bolt actions for decades, so keeping the same cheekweld as they have is a huge benefit to me. If a person can throw their lightweight hunting rifle to their shoulder and get a perfect image basically every time (even with 3 to 4.5 times magnification at the low end), then there's no reason to not be able to do the same with an LPVO.
    I am using a standard height mount. I considered trying a high mount. But honestly I think I am just going to switch back to RDS.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I think people are getting a little crazy with their 8x and 10x LPVO's some with a MRDS, the size, weight and balance drastically changes the handling characteristics of a carbine which IMO should be LW and fast handling. Yeah, for an SPR/DMR/ or .308 gun sure I get that, but otherwise a good 6x is the sweet spot for an AR. Your AccuPower is 25oz my is Kahles K16i is 16.9oz that's 8.1oz, half a pound, bet your mount is a pig too. I did a lot research before I bought a Kahles K16i and coming from an Aimpoint Micro I was specifically looking for the most RDS'like LPVO I could find. I wanted great glass, light weight, a fairly small footprint, daylight bright simple useful reticle and a forgiving eyebox. I think Kahles K16i delivered even in hindsight I don't think I could have done better to fill my needs. Just one man's opinion.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I am using a standard height mount. I considered trying a high mount. But honestly I think I am just going to switch back to RDS.
    There is a big difference between throwing your hunting gun up and cracking of a round or two and doing it all day 500+ times. I really like 1.93" Scalarworks mount, it the perfect mate the Kahles K16i I mentioned above. I have a Geissele 2.04" mount to try out but I'm pretty sure the 1.93" is where I'll stay although I'd also like try a Badger Ordnance C1 1.70" mount. My SPR mount is 1.5". My primary HD gun wears a 1/3 co-witness Aimpoint Mirco.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 11-23-21 at 02:28.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Well I guess if anyone is looking for a trijicon 1-8 check the EE tomorrow night.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    Kinda. I just really wanted other views so I could work through anything I might be missing.

At the indoor range I have no problem. But when shooting on the move or in odd positions I really struggle. And offhand is a nightmare.

Because they are the new hotness and everyone says I should use them. ��

Thanks everyone. I am starting to think I may get rid of at least one, and maybe both of them. No reason to force something.
    It's definitely a paradigm shift, and it takes training. RDS/eotechs are so reflexive and takes so little training that anything more often becomes a chore.

You can get just as fast and just as accurate in any non-"flat"/non-linear environment, it just takes some work.

Now that said, with the type of shooting you do you make a compelling case to ditch it and stay with what works for you, which I'm all for. Don't make it more complicated if you don't need to. And having one just because it's "in" and they're today's bee's knees isn't a good enough reason.

For what it's worth, with my recent cancer diagnosis, surgery, and upcoming treatment, I'll likely sell the LVPO and get a rds/eotech (maybe a vortex Huey) because my needs and shooting situation have changed. Now everything is HD/SD for me, under 100 yards.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast