Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I am really struggling with LPVOs

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    I've uploaded a photo to demonstrate why I use an LPVO for my general purpose AR. Can you see the bright white target near the center? Neither can I. I couldn't see my bright white target, that I knew was there, without some magnification. This was in the middle of the day, at a distance of about 60 yards.

A red dot would not have served me well, in this instance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    IMG_3825.jpeg
    I've uploaded a photo to demonstrate why I use an LPVO for my general purpose AR. Can you see the bright white target near the center? Neither can I. I couldn't see my bright white target, that I knew was there, without some magnification. This was in the middle of the day, at a distance of about 60 yards.

Well illustrated.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKB Armory View Post
    IMG_3825.jpeg

Which brings up a question that doesn't seem to get asked or answered much when discussing LPVOs and using the magnification for PID. How would you go about PIDing that target without breaking one of the 4 rules and pointing your rifle at something you can't be sure is a threat?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I personally have a few of these things called binoculars. When I look through them, I can see distant objects well enough to know if I need to view them through an LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Which brings up a question that doesn't seem to get asked or answered much when discussing LPVOs and using the magnification for PID. How would you go about PIDing that target without breaking one of the 4 rules and pointing your rifle at something you can't be sure is a threat?
    You can’t. You also don’t have to put your finger on the trigger or even have a round in the chamber. If you find yourself in a situation with a rifle in hand and a need to look for potential threats through your scope, then having your rifle pointed at a potential friendly is a risk you might have to take. Also consider at longer distances, you can see things through your scope without actually having it in line with your bore. It’s a risk I’m willing to take, it’s not going to magically go off in my hands.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    I personally have a few of these things called binoculars. When I look through them, I can see distant objects well enough to know if I need to view them through an LPVO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's not the method used when people talk of PID through magnification as an advantage though. If we're talking 60 yards, a magnifier would serve the same purpose.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    You can’t. You also don’t have to put your finger on the trigger or even have a round in the chamber. If you find yourself in a situation with a rifle in hand and a need to look for potential threats through your scope, then having your rifle pointed at a potential friendly is a risk you might have to take. Also consider at longer distances, you can see things through your scope without actually having it in line with your bore. It’s a risk I’m willing to take, it’s not going to magically go off in my hands.
    Who carries a rifle without a round in the chamber?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I am really struggling with LPVOs

Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Who carries a rifle without a round in the chamber?
    Probably no one. But if there is a distant potential threat and your a person that’s overly paranoid about pointing a rifle at them for identification, then drop your mag and eject your round. Then your rifle becomes a badass looking telescope. I’m not saying that’s something I would do, but like I said above, it’s not going to magically go off in my hands.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 12-15-21 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    So all of this Red Dot vs LPVO or a combination of everything just come down to training and mission. I agree with most of the posts above demonstrating the reasons LPVOs are awesome, and the reason Red Dots are great, and I'll I can think is that it really depends on the use and how you are training. My home defense gun is a PCC (CZ Scorpion with a Vortex Red dot and a Inforce light) my 8 year old can shoot it and so can my wife. For the house it makes perfect sense, but I also live in a neighborhood surrounded by rolling hills and corn fields and my go to Carbine is a BCM with an LPVO or a PWS with Holographic and magnifier. In the Marines I shot out to 500 with irons every 6 months with a 20" A4, it worked great. You need to train for your environment and your expectations, with the tools that you have at hand.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Probably no one. But if there is a distant potential threat and your a person that’s overly paranoid about pointing a rifle at them for identification, then drop your mag and eject your round. Then your rifle becomes a badass looking telescope.
    That sounds like a terrible idea. No thanks.

I’m not saying that’s something I would do, but like I said above, it’s not going to magically go off in my hands.
    Would you point it at your dog, or your wife, or kids? It's not going to magically go off after all.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast