Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think I’m getting a Sig 365 sas for christmas

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    I like mine and is my edc. There are 3 differences between this and a standard one.

3. The biggie. The sights supposedly suck. Don’t take this as an offense, boys…but you suck. . All kidding aside, this sight takes practice. No difference than when you picked up your iron sight for the first time. Most people don’t have patience for it. I practiced bringing the gun up…like trap shooters with shotguns. After a few weeks, it was easy as pulling up iron. It is no difference than transitioning to red dot on pistols. People poo poo red dots for the same reason…can’t find the dot. So much that primary arms came up with AcSS?..to help you find it.
    I have significant time on the SAS sights and have students come through with them. They can work, but are harder work. Slide indexing up close is easy, but they obscure smaller low% shots up close and larger targets at distance. They aren't even as good as basic J frame grooves and ramps. Mostly a marketing gimmick, and smartly choosing a set of irons is a better course of action. They are not like PMOs, are not target-focus, but there is an indeed a learning curve to sight acquisition.

No shooter using the SAS in testing or training did as well with them as they did with conventional sights. Shooters moved from a 365 SAS to a conventionally sighted 365 consistently demonstrate immediate improvement.

I like this from Karl Rehn on the SAS sights, here: https://blog.krtraining.com/365-sas-sights/

The SAS sights seem to appeal to people that aren’t skilled or knowledgeable about shooting or carrying. They think that regular sights, which are easier to see, will “print too much” or snag on clothing, or they plan on using the 365 as a pocket gun, with no expectation that they will ever need to hit a target at farther than 5 yards. It’s true that the majority of self defense incidents occur at close range, but even in those situations, the threat may be moving, obscured behind cover, or there may be a family member in between the shooter and the threat. So the ability to shoot with precision should be considered essential.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    The sights are essentially worthless, and significantly limit the employment options of what can otherwise be a useful gun.
    Worthless is not the term I would use, though they are very different and some people do not like them.

My input from shooting/carrying one extensively:

- Are probably the fastest sights I've used
    - Are even faster in very low light
    - They take some practice to get used to
    - They will drive you crazy if you are wanting to shoot the eye out of your opponent as rarely are they setup for point of impact, more for center of mass type hits.
    - They can be shimmed (or swapped) to get POI more aligned. (More later). But they are not adjustable (nor are many other pistols this size).

So if you are OK with 6" groups at 5 yards very fast draw with very quick on target, then you will be happy.

But if your measure is 5 shots on a 3x5 card at 10 yards, you will be (most likely) unhappy.

Other input:

- Very reliable. In my friend/family group we have ~6-8. They are very reliable. Not picky on ammo. Mags (we have a bunch) are not finicky.
    - It's easy to shoot. Does not shoot like a pocket pistol. My wife (not a regular shooter) shoots mine with no issues. No hand stinging.
    - It's easy to carry. Easier than most 10-12 rounders.
    - No issues I've seen with mags (or anything) rusting
    - Really nice to have 10 flat, 10 finger rest, 12 finger rest, and 15 extended mag options.

As to dealing with POI... I suspect it's random tolerance or tolerance stack stuff. My brother's was 12-14" low right. Mine was about the same high left. I swapped our site modules, and we are both within 3-5" POI vs aimpoint.

Mine is ~5" high now, but dead center. I am confident I could dial it in, but probably won't bother. I consider that acceptable for my intended purpose/usage.

Don't like the SAS? Get the regular XL and save some money. Or get the FDE NRA edition, in addition to FDE'ish coating, you get an extra 12 rnd mag on top of the normal two 10 rnd.

The "melt" aspect of the SAS is not a big deal. I can live without it.

Bottom line, these are great little pistols, and local shops are selling them like hotcakes.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sikiguya View Post
    All kidding aside, this sight takes practice. No difference than when you picked up your iron sight for the first time. Most people don’t have patience for it. I practiced bringing the gun up…like trap shooters with shotguns. After a few weeks, it was easy as pulling up iron. It is no difference than transitioning to red dot on pistols. People poo poo red dots for the same reason…can’t find the dot. So much that primary arms came up with AcSS?..to help you find it.
    I kindof agree with this, and I've been shooting pistols for 50 years and have competed in the past with irons.

That said, I changed out the the disassembly lever and slide stop for standard ones.
    SAS slide release is largely useless for dropping the slide. I work around it, but changing it is probably a good idea. Overly melted.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I didn't know/think the P365SAS' rear sight was even drift adjustable as mentioned in Post3. Is it?
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I have significant time on the SAS sights and have students come through with them. They can work, but are harder work. Slide indexing up close is easy, but they obscure smaller low% shots up close and larger targets at distance. They aren't even as good as basic J frame grooves and ramps. Mostly a marketing gimmick, and smartly choosing a set of irons is a better course of action. They are not like PMOs, are not target-focus, but there is an indeed a learning curve to sight acquisition.

No shooter using the SAS in testing or training did as well with them as they did with conventional sights. Shooters moved from a 365 SAS to a conventionally sighted 365 consistently demonstrate immediate improvement.
    I don't disagree with much of this. It's really the obscuring issue that throws many people, primarily at small targets (index card) or focusing on X-ring. Shoot at full size silhouettes, and that issue goes away (my observation on my crew shooting SAS's)

The good news on all of this is you can save $70, and get the plain jane P365 and take advantage of an excellent pistol. With or without SAS sights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12