Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bino NODS regret?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    This is the most unbiased comparison I could find:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA294018.pdf
    I think a fairer test would be to issue one unit 14s and another 31s, let them get proficient with them, then do the test. It's no secret that binos are easier to pick up and use, but it is possible to train the brain to use monos very effectively. Just takes some practice. You literally have to rewire your brain, so you're not just going to hand someone a 14 and have them go run around with it like you can with binos. It's like if you took people who'd never shot a pistol before and told one of them to keep both eyes open. Yea, he's going to have the deficiency out the gate, but let him practice for a few weeks and then come back and smoke everyone once his brain has been properly wired.

I still remember the very first time I put on a 14. I was like no way, no how, stumbling all over the place. I think I fell once or twice. Now though I feel like a fish in water with them.
    Last edited by okie; 12-09-21 at 21:15.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I think a fairer test would be to issue one unit 14s and another 31s, let them get proficient with them, then do the test. It's no secret that binos are easier to pick up and use, but it is possible to train the brain to use monos very effectively. Just takes some practice. You literally have to rewire your brain, so you're not just going to hand someone a 14 and have them go run around with it like you can with binos. It's like if you took people who'd never shot a pistol before and told one of them to keep both eyes open. Yea, he's going to have the deficiency out the gate, but let him practice for a few weeks and then come back and smoke everyone once his brain has been properly wired.

I still remember the very first time I put on a 14. I was like no way, no how, stumbling all over the place. I think I fell once or twice. Now though I feel like a fish in water with them.
    I think you are onto something… pretty much this.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I've tried it with monos and it's awful. YMMV but I'm certainly far from the only one who finds it completely unworkable. If it works for you though then that's what matters.
    I just brought the gun up and shot. Same as daytime. Body mechanics don't really change, so if you have good mechanics, the reticle is right there in front of you. If you have bad mechanics, the 40*FOV will screw you over hard compared to your daytime vision as you hunt for your reticle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I just brought the gun up and shot. Same as daytime. Body mechanics don't really change, so if you have good mechanics, the reticle is right there in front of you. If you have bad mechanics, the 40*FOV will screw you over hard compared to your daytime vision as you hunt for your reticle.
    Same can be said for making the transition from iron sights on a pistol to the dot. If your mechanics are solid with irons, the shift to a dot shouldn't be a big deal- it will align. If you are a sloppy shooter etc...yea, you're gonna have issues.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Same can be said for making the transition from iron sights on a pistol to the dot. If your mechanics are solid with irons, the shift to a dot shouldn't be a big deal- it will align. If you are a sloppy shooter etc...yea, you're gonna have issues.
    I found passive aiming a much easier transition than when someone handed me a rds on a pistol, but yes, facts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234