Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bino NODS regret?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post
    https://www.jrhenterprises.com/BNVD-...DWHITEPHOS.htm

Got a really nice set in stock that could ship out to you tomorrow or if you miss that one, they've only been running about 1-4 weeks.

I'll have a phone glued to my ear all day again tomorrow commencing at 9am Eastern Feel free to call with any questions.
    Thank you, I was confused between this set and the set that’s like 7900.

Feedback Score
    That's probably the BNVD Single gain with Elbit Systems White Phosphor SLH tubes. They have a very long lead time currently but are a super nice unit, especially at the discounted price.

The ones we were discussing were the BNVD platform with the Photonis Echo spec WP tubes, those are the ones currently on sale under $6K

Give me a call one of these days when you have time and I can go over all the options.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My only regret is not getting binos sooner.

I didn’t have a PVS14. Just went full retard.

I have tried to work with one tube pivoted up to simulate what a 14 would feel like and I have to say it really is a PITA if you’re not used to it. It felt a bit disorienting and I felt stress in my eyes within about 20min. With both tubes down it just seems a lot more natural.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    After spending the early years of my adulthood under PVS-14s in Iraq… and later under both single and dual tubes in LE… you’re not missing missing much with a quality single. Despite the sexy, over-glammed/Instagram hot appeal of dual tubes… if you actually WEAR and TRAIN in your single, you can be as good or better then most who spend exorbitant amounts of money chasing clout, instead of earning experience. Put simply, the only remorse you should have is not training enough under your investment… be they BNVDs or 14’s.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    After spending the early years of my adulthood under PVS-14s in Iraq… and later under both single and dual tubes in LE… you’re not missing missing much with a quality single. Despite the sexy, over-glammed/Instagram hot appeal of dual tubes… if you actually WEAR and TRAIN in your single, you can be as good or better then most who spend exorbitant amounts of money chasing clout, instead of earning experience. Put simply, the only remorse you should have is not training enough under your investment… be they BNVDs or 14’s.
    Well said!
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    As with many things there are pros and cons. That said its amazing what you can do with the 14's.
    Despite what many say, a 14 over your dominant eye allows you to shoot passively with your pistol and carbine (with the higher optic mounts).
    The depth perception issue with a single tube can be mitigated a great deal just by knowing how to properly focus/adjust the objective lens until the image in the natural eye and the NV eye appears equal in distance and focus to help to retain your depth perception.
    The more time under various conditions and situations the more familiar and natural using them will be.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    As with many things there are pros and cons. That said its amazing what you can do with the 14's.
    Despite what many say, a 14 over your dominant eye allows you to shoot passively with your pistol and carbine (with the higher optic mounts).
    The depth perception issue with a single tube can be mitigated a great deal just by knowing how to properly focus/adjust the objective lens until the image in the natural eye and the NV eye appears equal in distance and focus to help to retain your depth perception.
    The more time under various conditions and situations the more familiar and natural using them will be.
    Also turning the gain down so it's closer to what you're other eye sees is helpful. In my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    Also turning the gain down so it's closer to what you're other eye sees is helpful. In my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely! Its a seemingly minor detail but it makes a big difference.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    The one thing t hat pushed me to duals was my near 100% reliance on passive aiming. If not that, I'd have happily stuck with my high spec PVS14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have both, greatly prefer the 14. The lighter your nods, the happier you'll be, in my opinion. My next NOD will almost undoubtedly be a Tanto build. Even the 14s you start to feel after a while. You can't hang almost a pound cantilevered six inches off your face and not feel that in a big way after a few hours. Every ounce you can reduce weight is a huge game changing difference in comfort and how long you can use them without fatigue and headaches and stuff.

Your eyes also get seriously jacked up. Ruins your night vision like nothing else for 30 minutes, and after a while behind the NOD your eyes will get very fatigued. Monos preserve night vision and let you switch between eyes if you're using one for an extended period, that way one eye can rest for a few hours.

It's also important to understand that there will be zero difference in field of view. That's a common misconception. Sounds wrong, but even with binos your field of view is still like 50 degrees or something. To increase that you have to go to quad tubes.

Some people do think binos give them better depth perception, but I've not found that to be the case personally. In most cases there's enough ambient light for your other eye to see enough to feed depth info to your brain. I think the reason people have issues is just the disorientation you experience, combined with the brain not liking two different images. I think there's a psychological benefit to the binos, so the brain doesn't protest as much, and people interpret that as better depth perception. For one thing, unless you have them focused really close, you can't see anything closer than 10 feet, so it's not like you're going to be looking at the ground anyways.

Another benefit to the monos is that your other eye can still see in color, and that actually helps your spatial orientation and awareness in most places. The colors fuse so it actually feels like you're seeing in color even in your eye behind the NOD. That's helpful in two scenarios. Areas where there's enough light to see unaided, and lights. Like you can differentiate between headlights and tail lights, see red lights in the distance from towers and use them as landmarks to stay on a course. I think the benefits of monos are vastly underestimated in urban environments. It's easy to argue the benefits of binos in pitch black woods, but things change drastically when you factor in either bright moon light or city lights, which means you have this mixed environment with brightly lit areas that overwhelm the NOD, and then pitch black shadowed areas all in the same field of view.

For example, let's say you have a guy standing under a street light. With binos on, you might not see him at all. Autogating helps, but it's not perfect by a long shot. So in that scenario you would have to flip up your binos, in which case you still might not see him because your eyes are so jacked up.

Let's say you flip up your binos when moving into an area like that. But now let's say the dude is standing off to the side a little bit, in the shadows. You're not going to see him then either.

But with a mono on, you will see him in both circumstances. Under the street light you will see him with your uncovered eye, and to the side in the shadows you'll see him through the mono clear as day. Like I said, this kind of "fused" capability is massively helpful in any mixed environment.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast