Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bino NODS regret?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    The one thing t hat pushed me to duals was my near 100% reliance on passive aiming. If not that, I'd have happily stuck with my high spec PVS14.
    That's a valid point. Effectively aiming through a mono is near impossible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I thought this too… until I was switched on by some pretty informative videos circulating the internet of guys wearing the single tubes over their dominate eye.

I came up in the GWOT era of wearing your single over your non-dominate eye, in order to aim through your rifle iron sights and ACOG optic with your dominate eye.

Try wearing the single on your dominate eye, and use an NVG-height optic mount (I use a T2 in a Scalarworks mount). It works great- no issues aiming/shooting passively, in this configuration.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just an observation. I don't see nor have I heard of any unit opting for monos over binos...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Just an observation. I don't see nor have I heard of any unit opting for monos over binos...
    Dude, for sure… binos help new shooters over the hurdle faster… they seem to be more intuitive. The common theme is folks poopoo’ing monos as unusable or ineffective… that’s where folks (like me) who fought in them and actually used them in a professional capacity will draw the line and set the record straight. You can absolutely be as effective in a mono as you can with a set of binos, given you put in the requisite amount of training.
    EATADIK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I don't know enough to say. It certainly seems that way, though, just judging from the photos you see. They work in teams though with overwatch, so they might be relying on people with thermal always watching their blind spots for them. All I can say is in a mixed lighting environment I feel very naked without a monocular. I would probably feel different if there was a drone overhead and a sniper or two.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    This is the most unbiased comparison I could find:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA294018.pdf

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eric0311 View Post
    Dude, for sure… binos help new shooters over the hurdle faster… they seem to be more intuitive. The common theme is folks poopoo’ing monos as unusable or ineffective… that’s where folks (like me) who fought in them and actually used them in a professional capacity will draw the line and set the record straight. You can absolutely be as effective in a mono as you can with a set of binos, given you put in the requisite amount of training.
    I agree. I still enjoy my 14 however, binos make life a lot easier. If you use articulating binos you can play mono as well.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    I didn't find it so, at all. It was nearly as natural as in the daytime. Binos will just allow me to do it a bit better as they will require less space, and provide more input from the tube not behind the optic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I didn't find it so, at all. It was nearly as natural as in the daytime. Binos will just allow me to do it a bit better as they will require less space, and provide more input from the tube not behind the optic.
    I've tried it with monos and it's awful. YMMV but I'm certainly far from the only one who finds it completely unworkable. If it works for you though then that's what matters.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is the most unbiased comparison I could find:

https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA294018.pdf
    An excellent read, thanks for sharing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast