Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: I never want to hear anyone say the forward assist is useless ever again!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Twist rate has no effect on reliability. The mag release fence also has no effect on reliability as far as firing sequence. A rifle without a magazine doesn't fail, it simply has no more ammunition to feed. The risk for inadvertently dumping the magazine is greater. Beefing up areas has to do with durability, not so much with reliability. If you're referring to the barrel, that was a false problem with a false solution.
    The reply you quoted had nothing to do with reliability. It had to do with engineers not always getting things right and end users finding problems. Like you said, SMEs and engineers build things that arent perfect all the time.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Lets get back to basics without this armchair worrier "i was taught this or hell id have done that" bullshit. He used a forward assist and it ****ing worked. If not, he'd be dead. End of story. Yall have seen the clip before he smoked bicep dude... it was under a second. Id say God was with him and tap rack bang wouldnt have resulted in the same outcome.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    Lets get back to basics without this armchair worrier "i was taught this or hell id have done that" bullshit. He used a forward assist and it ****ing worked. If not, he'd be dead. End of story. Yall have seen the clip before he smoked bicep dude... it was under a second. Id say God was with him and tap rack bang wouldnt have resulted in the same outcome.
    I know a guy who was ejected from his car during an accident. Car went over an embankment and into the river below, saved his life. Should we not wear seatbelts as well?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    I know a guy who was ejected from his car during an accident. Car went over an embankment and into the river below, saved his life. Should we not wear seatbelts as well?
    That is the stupidest analogy I have ever heard of when compared to a forward assist. KR proved that the FA "DOES WORK"
    Last edited by robbins290; 12-10-21 at 08:20. Reason: typo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by robbins290 View Post
    That is the stupidest analogy I have ever heard of when compared a forward assist. KR proved that the FA "DOES WORK"
    I know of more people stuck in cars and burnt to death than being ejected and life saved (most I know who got ejected, got pretty f***ed up, just saying)… but not really going to argue down that road.

So, Rittenhouse said he used it. Zero knowledge other than what I’ve heard/saw on the news about him/the rifle he used/his training… but a quick Google Image search… he is right handed. I’m going to guess he used his right hand to activate the FA, so hand came off the grip to do it.

I’ll give you two things to consider…

1) He notices it out of battery, and with his off hand, racks the charging handle. Round pops out, hopefully he didn’t ride it, and gun chambers. Gun is good to go once the bolt slam home… so reassess and move from there. He can fire with just the firing hand on the grip.

For the record, I view that being the best choice. FA may work, but charging it does, too… and can be faster.

2) I’m under the impression is was a S&W M&P15. Let’s say it was the original Sport, without the FA. How would he be able to push the bolt home without touching the charging handle?

Now, the bolt carrier on those guns were standard… with ratchet cuts and cuts for the ejection port cover (I believe it lacked both features). Look/diagnose, put your thumb on the carrier to push it forward (on the cut that opens the door). Bolt home, can move the hand back, grip the gun, and reassess before cranking off the round.

If you can’t get it home like that, you likely shouldn’t push that round in. The FA is a system that wouldn’t give you that type of feedback. You hit it, and it inches the bolt group forward… jamming it further in. Whether or not a person wants to believe that… it is a logical observation that should be pointed out.

I have FAs on most of my guns. I took it off my 9mm AR pistol because the Stern bolt doesn’t have the ratchet cuts, and I saw on one of those meltdown tests with an identical setup to mine and full auto lower… the FA tab broke off and jammed the gun up. Likely not going to happen, but why chance it?

But I really only feel they are “needed” for .22s. Dirty ammo makes them less reliable, and you get that situation a lot more (also recommended a charging handle that doesn’t let casings go above the bolt). My M&P15-22 doesn’t have one, so if it is dirty, I’ll have to jack the round out. Sort of is what it is.

Shy of that, if you want a FA… great. If you don’t want a FA… that’s great, too. Know how to run your gun and get it back into action ASAP if there is an issue. I think Rittenhouse proved that more than the FA works. But that’s just my opinion on it.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    There’s footage here @3:40 mark. After shooting skateboard guy from a seated position, Kyle checks his rifle around 3:39 and the next shot is at about 3:41.

ETA screenshot:
    IMG_4238.jpg
    Last edited by crosseyedshooter; 12-10-21 at 09:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    1) He notices it out of battery, and with his off hand, racks the charging handle. Round pops out, hopefully he didn’t ride it, and gun chambers. Gun is good to go once the bolt slam home… so reassess and move from there. He can fire with just the firing hand on the grip.

For the record, I view that being the best choice. FA may work, but charging it does, too… and can be faster.
    Unless...

Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I think there's something that a lot of people in this thread are missing. By the way Rittenhouse described his malfunction, it sounded to me like a round had been stripped from the magazine but not fully chambered, bolt went forward but stopped short of being in battery, the extractor would not have been in control of the cartridge. A tap rack would most likely have caused a double feed, which would have led to a very bad outcome for Kyle.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    For the love of baby Jesus, can we just let this one die? There are really no more points to be made. Obviously mysterytrollman isn’t changing his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    There was also a thread very similar to this on TOS, they had a photo of Huber grabbing the rifle, his hand grabbing right around the area of the ejection port as Kyle fires his shot. He could have gotten part of his hand or a finger inside, slowing the bolt traveling forward, that could explain the malfunction and failure to go into battery.

Edited to add photos

Screenshot_20211210_164342.jpg

Screenshot_20211210_164532.jpg
    Last edited by kirkland; 12-10-21 at 18:49.

Feedback Score
    There was no live rounds recovered on the scene so the charging handle thing is bogus. Also all the spent brass was accounted for every shot fired.

Heres a pic of the dipshit prosecutor with the carbine. It has an FA.

https://imagez.tmz.com/image/d4/16by...8f2fe66_xl.jpg
    Last edited by Steve-0-; 12-11-21 at 02:00.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast