Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: I never want to hear anyone say the forward assist is useless ever again!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Hey Admins. Can we get a thread tool that filters out responses to only show the ones that are authored by people who have real world experience shooting at people and getting shot at in return? That would be fantastic. Thanks.
    Most of the SME's are gone for one reason or another... threads like this is one reason none of them come around anymore!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Most of the SME's are gone for one reason or another... threads like this is one reason none of them come around anymore!

Feedback Score
    Kid fought for his life and lived. End of subject!

Feedback Score
    You know a forum has hit bottom when people keep asking what color firearm they should purchase. Different forum, not here.
    Last edited by Colt Carson; 11-30-21 at 18:31. Reason: Correct

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have definitely had it happen with a dirty (well, sandy) weapon. Round didn't fully chamber, and wouldn't eject without using the FA to force the extractor over the rim. Have also had the bolt fail to seat fully and a tap on the FA ran it home.

Andy
    That's precisely the kind of malfunction Stoner was talking about when he said the FA is more likely to make things worse. If the weapon is so sandy it can't even halfway chamber, there's a high probability that forcing it to chamber is going to get the case stuck. If the round has cleared the feed lips but the extractor can't pivot to grip it, then that's beyond severe.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch110 View Post
    Hey Admins. Can we get a thread tool that filters out responses to only show the ones that are authored by people who have real world experience shooting at people and getting shot at in return? That would be fantastic. Thanks.
    That's a great way to get every gun myth in the book. I could fill entire volumes with gems that combat veterans have told me. You have to shoot people three times with 9mm but only once with 45, M16s suck and AKs rule (had an Iraq war veteran reference that one the other day), so on and so forth. If I need a crash course in unit tactics I will certainly look for the nearest combat vet, but I'll take my mechanical knowledge from the engineers and people who shoot a lot, military or otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Yeah it’s a shame that this place has turned into that. Smes used to be all over here when I joined, but they’ve been run off over the years. Might as well be TOS anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Yeah it’s a shame that this place has turned into that. Smes used to be all over here when I joined, but they’ve been run off over the years. Might as well be TOS anymore.

Ah the good old days when everybody scrutinized "the chart" and read the TDP instead of this type of inane prattle.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

I never want to hear anyone say the forward assist is useless ever again!

What about blasting people for reposts and telling them to use the good old orange search button?

The only infraction I ever got here was responding to a question posted in an SME’s thread and I (obviously) was not the SME. Different perspective now that the SME forums are dusty.

Last edited by Wake27; 11-30-21 at 21:39.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I've looked at this thread and didn't lock it to mainly act as a short test of sorts. You want discussion to take place, but it sounds like an HOA meeting in a retirement community. Some things in the gun community are like religion and politics, cleaning and lube are two, now we can add the forward assist.

Most know by now that SME's either don't want to deal with the arms chair folks that demand proof, etc. of what they speak or may not be able to reveal who the are. Thanks for the positive input from those who contributed, in more ways than typing dribble.

The forward assist.

General protocol is when loading is to look at the bolt's position, press the FA and close the dust cover. If a press check was done, I've always taught and practiced pressing the FA afterwards to insure the bolt was forward and locked. On the "press check" I preferred to visually or physically feel the round's position in the mag, close the bolt, release mag and check the round's position, tug on the mag after seating(seat and tug). The FA was still pressed upon bolt closure. It was also taught that is light pressure on the FA didn't close and lock the bolt, than clear and inspect.

In KR's story, he noticed the bolt's position, knew it wasn't closed and locked, bumped the forward assist and drove on. Who cares what gun he had, he obviously received training, has the presence of mind to recognize a problem and fix it. One hell of a setting to be in for anyone, let alone a 17 year old kid. And here we are sniveling over whether or not we need one and chest thumping over our forum status.

That's enough for now.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast