Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ahmaud Arbery Trial

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    But you don’t know if he entered to commit a crime. He may have been planning a crime (which is a crime). Nobody knows. There was no way to know. So don’t pretend like you do.

At the end of the day, one dirt bag taking a dirt nap
    . Three more behind bars.
    Arbery may have been a small time crook, but he didn't deserve death. I'm not going to venerate him, George Floyd, or anyone like them. But I don't think we should get the point where, just because he wasn't an upstanding citizen, that our reaction to his death is "good riddance."
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score

Ahmaud Arbery Trial

Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Arbery may have been a small time crook, but he didn't deserve death. I'm not going to venerate him, George Floyd, or anyone like them. But I don't think we should get the point where, just because he wasn't an upstanding citizen, that our reaction to his death is "good riddance."
    Live by the sword, die by the sword….I don’t feel sorry for them. And in the case of Floyd, he died of a drug OD in reality, and after his history, it’s a shame it took so long.

He died because he grabbed a gun, not because he was wandering around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mRad; 11-26-21 at 22:35.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Was not admissible in court, but a nice kid just out for a jog was highly unlikely if past behavior patterns were any indication, and they usually are... But, chasing after someone in that manner and armed when no actual crime was committed (other than trespassing), and not witnessing a crime happening, is a bad idea all around, and in their case, ended badly for all involved. I think they wanted to scare him, maybe rough him up some, put fear of God into him not to come back to their street etc, and he decided to go on the offensive once cornered, and it went sideways in an instant:

"The most crucial insight his criminal records show is that he 'used running or jogging as a cover to commit crimes.'

The defendants’ attorney Robert Rubin pointed out that Arbery was even known as the “jogger” due to his pattern of dashing into convenience stores, stealing, and running away. In addition to this, Arbery was on probation for two crimes.

The first crime was due to carrying a handgun onto school property. The other crime was for fleeing police. His criminal records also show two separate police encounters in which Arbery threatened and cursed at officers
    ."

https://www.conservativebusinessjour...cked-by-judge/
    That’s pretty consistent with what I had previously read. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by mrbieler; 11-26-21 at 21:24.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    He wasn't killed because they thought he might not be an upstanding citizen. He wasn't killed for innocently walking around a construction site after dark. He was killed because he went for the man's gun. Let's not forget that fact. We can argue whether or not the 3 men should have been there with a gun in the first place for days.

Are we as a society to stand by and let criminals have their way? When the police can't, won't, or simply don't do their job, and these kind of people are running rampant, unfettered, even to the point of getting local criminal nick names (The Jogger), would you stand by and do nothing? We all say, "Let the authorities handle it." But what do we do when they don't?

Though the two cases are worlds apart and share little similarity, I do see at least one commonality between these guys and Kyle: Both were where they were, armed, and doing what they were doing because the police would not, could not, or did not put a stop to criminals repeatedly committing crimes. America, she is a changin'...
    "Literally EVERYTHING is in space, Morty." Grandpa Rick Sanchez

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    He wasn't killed because they thought he might not be an upstanding citizen. He wasn't killed for innocently walking around a construction site after dark. He was killed because he went for the man's gun. Let's not forget that fact. We can argue whether or not the 3 men should have been there with a gun in the first place for days.

Are we as a society to stand by and let criminals have their way? When the police can't, won't, or simply don't do their job, and these kind of people are running rampant, unfettered, even to the point of getting local criminal nick names (The Jogger), would you stand by and do nothing? We all say, "Let the authorities handle it." But what do we do when they don't?

Though the two cases are worlds apart and share little similarity, I do see at least one commonality between these guys and Kyle: Both were where they were, armed, and doing what they were doing because the police would not, could not, or did not put a stop to criminals repeatedly committing crimes. America, she is a changin'...
    I don't think this case had anything to do with the police not doing their job. That town wasn't in the midst of a riot or run by a bunch leftists who let criminals run wild. In fact, if you remember, this case happened BEFORE the George Floyd case, and so the whole defund the police thing hadn't even started yet.

This case had everything to do with three overzealous rednecks deciding that stopping this small time thief was as urgent to public safety as stopping a serial killer. There are times when citizens have to step up, and there are times when we should defer to the police. This was the latter.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I don't know why he went into the house.

Of course neither did the racist father and son duo.

I view what these two mouth breathing scum bags did as a modern day lynching.

Even if the black kid was a thief, and was looking for stuff to steal later, which of course we will never know. Under GA law he was not engaged in criminal activity.

So these idiots had no right to chase him, no right to ask him even one question, and for sure no right to shoot the kid.

Justice has been served.
    Most Georgians see it this way.

Criminal "jogger" or not, the pickup truck guys represent a mindset that has largely vanished thankfully.

All you have to do is look in the so-called law enforcement history in that county and you see all the problems. And yet a couple of counties over it's fine.

Feedback Score
    What's with all the talk of night time? Video and pics of the chase/shooting show this happened in broad daylight.
    Go Ukraine! Piss on the Russian dead.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Most Georgians see it this way.

Criminal "jogger" or not, the pickup truck guys represent a mindset that has largely vanished thankfully.

All you have to do is look in the so-called law enforcement history in that county and you see all the problems. And yet a couple of counties over it's fine.
    What bothers me, has anyone ever looked for the Cop that gave these guys the BOLO for a Black Jogger?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulletdog View Post
    But that's the crux of their entire defense no? Did they have the legal Right under GA law to give chase or not? If not, there entire case falls apart, and did. I'm assuming the criteria for citizens arrest was just too thin for the jury to buy it. Far as I can ascertain, it all hinged on whether they could legally attempt to give chase and "arrest" him, and whether murder or self defense due to Arbery going for the gun hinges on that aspect of the event. This is where I get hung up and feel is the crux of the entire case. The third decided to let the grand jury decide if charges should happen:

April 3: A second prosecutor recuses after finding no reason to charge the McMichaels

George Barnhill, one of the prosecutors who first handled the case, defended the actions of the McMichaels and Bryan, who recorded a video of the shooting. In a letter recusing himself, addressed to a Glynn County police captain, Barnhill said the three had "solid first hand probable cause" to pursue Arbery, a "burglary suspect," and stop him. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the letter was issued April 3.

"It appears their intent was to stop and hold this criminal suspect until law enforcement arrived," he wrote.

Barnhill, who said he watched the video, said Travis McMichael "was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself" under state law because Arbery had initiated the fight and grabbed the shotgun."

So, what changed there? It seems to me that aspect, really all important aspect between what was legally self defense or not, was very thin defense based on GA law as i understand it, and the jury apparently didn't buy it either.

If they had, no one can deny that Arbery went for the gun, and was shot. Do I think the DA's brushed over how terribly thin their defense was because they were good old boys known locally etc and Arbery a known felon and black kid? Yes I do.

Do I think had it been a different set of players in that mix, a prosecutor would have been much more likely to look deeper int the legality what they did and pass it on to the grand Jury to decide? Yes I do.

Some times bad karma collides in a perfect storm and the outcome for all involved is ugly.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-27-21 at 12:34.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast