Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: School of the American Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    If he hasn't been run off.

For example:

Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I can't make it through a single video without thinking he is an idiot at one point or another.

He called that shit 'ready to install and run'...

In one of his other videos he spent more time measuring FP protrusion and talking about how 'out of spec' it was than it would have taken to just fix / correct the damn pin and move on. If he really wanted to help people he would have explained what range of protrusion to look for and then showed how to get there in less time than he spent whining about the one particular pin being ever so slightly 'off'.
    Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    On various forums, I have seen several people run out buy some random gauge set and disassemble their working rifle to measure some inane thing and and learn that it’s “out of spec” and panic. Turned me off from the guy. That and how he jumped to internet stardom thanks to Primary & Secondary.
    I think SOTAR can confuse new AR owners into thinking their working AR might have a problem if they don't check to see if it meets "specs".
    His videos should come with a caveat, (for educational purposes only, not for standard maintenance application)

Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    I may have been living under a rock, but I recently stumbled upon this individuals channel and find it fascinating.

Hopefully others will find something of value in these as well.

No, I donÂ’t know the guy and am not affiliated in any way. Just sharing some technical content others may appreciate.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCaUOYvlDrZh5LWILrVDUM4w

He gets pretty heavy into tolerance stacking and figuring out exactly why something fails, or won't run.

Good stuff as far as I am concerned.
    It's good to watch when trying to relax or take a nap.
    Some interesting stuff. But he under lubes his BCG, I prefer to dip the whole rifle in oil after I slather & pack the the BCG with grease.

Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    Where might I find the videos demonstrating the quarter test?
    I substitute 2 dimes & a nickel for the quarter, I'm a bit of a econoclast.
    The coins won't increase the gap, but I can tell my wife I saved a little change while shooting.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Dudes get so assed up over Chad's videos and content and all they have to do to live a peaceful life free from all the strife that he's caused them is to just not watch the videos. The only test of his that I've ever done is the quarter test. All of mine passed albeit one was a hair tight. I find the videos highly educational and informative as a way of identifying why a particular gun or part will not run reliably.

He's never said all the gauging and inspection is necessary and he's not pushing anyone to buy gauges and start tearing their guns apart. He even goes so far as to point out that when, say, a BCG fails the three bore test that it doesn't mean the gun won't run or that it should be scrapped, just that it might not be as gas efficient as it should be.

I swear some of you act like he slapped and insulted your mothers.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Another test I learned from the videos was standing the bolt carrier upright with the weight pushing down to test if the gas rings were worn. If the bolt doesn’t hold the carrier up the rings are worn. Simple field test.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

School of the American Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by rushca01 View Post
    Another test I learned from the videos was standing the bolt carrier upright with the weight pushing down to test if the gas rings were worn. If the bolt doesn’t hold the carrier up the rings are worn. Simple field test.
    That isn’t a fail, that is a red flag.

The next step is to try to shake it from the carrier which then makes it a fail.

He covers that in at least one video.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-28-21 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Agreed. I do think a lack of knowledge about AR's & along with OCD, will cause some who watch SOTAR videos to stress themselves out.
    No fault of SOTAR. I myself did the quarter test. Like all YouTube, I take with a grain of salt.
    SOTAR videos are the only 45 min videos I don't FF
    He gives the details, use them or not, still good content.
    I also think it's great how much he lubes his BCG, & love to see, the just a drop here & there guys pulling their hair out. And I thought I was going overboard using red & tacky#2, plus a little oil just in case, his lube video made me think I probably could use a touch more.
    Last edited by JoeBobJoe; 11-28-21 at 11:46.
    God, Family, Freedom.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post
    Agreed. I do think a lack of knowledge about AR's & along with OCD, will cause some who watch SOTAR videos to stress themselves out.
    No fault of SOTAR. I myself did the quarter test. Like all YouTube, I take with a grain of salt.
    SOTAR videos are the only 45 min videos I don't FF
    He gives the details, use them or not, still good content.
    I also think it's great how much he lubes his BCG, & love to see, the just a drop here & there guys pulling their hair out. And I thought I was going overboard using red & tacky#2, plus a little oil just in case, his lube video made me think I probably could use a touch more.
    But that is on them, not on him and agree really good and relevant content and a valuable resource to the gun community.

Unfortunately, it appears the asshats have run him off, probably for good.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like he is forming his own service and getting off the big tech platforms.

—KUDOS—

I’ll support anyone giving the middle finger to the communists at YouTube.

sotarsociety.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    Looks like he is forming his own service and getting off the big tech platforms.

—KUDOS—

I’ll support anyone giving the middle finger to the communists at YouTube.

sotarsociety.com

Been on the new sight since it started and have taken his class. Highly recommended if you work on AR's!
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBobJoe View Post

That crap is not just 'a touch more' than needed. It is well into the stupid zone.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678