Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: School of the American Rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I do remember him explaining the acceptable level of protrusion in a video from a while back. I don’t remember what it was off the top of my head however.
    I would imagine a lot of guys here have feeler gauges around and have gapped a spark plug or two in their lifetime.

You can show a guy your multi hundred dollar tool for measuring FP protrusion from the front of the bolt or...

Explain to him how he likely already has all the stuff he needs to measure the same thing from the back.

That is the gap you measure while holding something flat against the face of the bolt and pushing the FP forward until it stops against it.

Not hard to do and does not require a $500.00 specialty tool to measure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    I would imagine a lot of guys here have feeler gauges around and have gapped a spark plug or two in their lifetime.

You can show a guy your multi hundred dollar tool for measuring FP protrusion from the front of the bolt or...

Explain to him how he likely already has all the stuff he needs to measure the same thing from the back.

That is the gap you measure while holding something flat against the face of the bolt and pushing the FP forward until it stops against it.

That's a good way to check firing pin protrusion on an AR if you don't have a depth micrometer or a firing pin protrusion gauge.

If you don't work on other firearms, M1 Garands, 1911's, etc., a set of feeler gauges is all a person needs.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

This is great, assume the 28 - 36 numbers are the same from the back?

He does show you how to use 2 quarters for BCG clearance in the tube. Do you have any solution other than tossing a quarter into the tube?

I like that he is using Ned's carrier key screw and point out those companies using those great screws. (Sionics)
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-25-21 at 09:38.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    numbers are the same from the back?
    When the FP collar / shoulder contacts the bolt tail that is all the protrusion you will get out the front. The FP can't go forward any more once it stops there unless...

You spend a few seconds taking some material off the face of that FP collar so it WILL give you more protrusion.

Again, I bet you have all the tools you 'need' to adjust this sort of thing yourself laying around in your shop.

Takes less time to correct than it does to bitch about it.

If a guy really wanted to help YOU and not his own wallet why would he not explain all that???

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When the FP collar / shoulder contacts the bolt tail that is all the protrusion you will get out the front. The FP can't go forward any more once it stops there unless...

You spend a few seconds taking some material off the face of that FP collar so it WILL give you more protrusion.

Again, I bet you have all the tools you 'need' to adjust this sort of thing yourself laying around in your shop.

Takes less time to correct than it does to bitch about it.

If a guy really wanted to help YOU and not his own wallet why would he not explain all that???
    He might tell you that in one of his classes, or he might say spend $12 on a new firing pin. He is promoting his classes and I don't begrudge him making money to feed his family.

He certainly isn't making any money being a gun oriented channel on youtube.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 11-25-21 at 10:37.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by the AR-15 Junkie View Post
    Screams 'Please buy me cause you need this stuff'...

Or not.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Brownells sells an inexpensive firing pin protrusion gauge. I’m a little surprised at all the bitching about him describing why a particular dimension is important. Its literally a video about dimensions, not repair. You didn’t pay for his youtube video, so just turn it off if you don’t want to learn about that, and make your own contributions to the community. Oh, wait, how many of us are qualified to contribute anything?
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    and make your own contributions to the community. Oh, wait, how many of us are qualified to contribute anything?
    Are you saying / suggesting a guy has to be 'qualified' to post here?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Screams 'Please buy me cause you need this stuff'...

Or not.
    I don't see him selling these anywhere, maybe I missed them.

Even I, not a gunsmith, realize these are all basically pin gauges on a fancy board. The dimensions are clearly labeled in your picture, so it isn't like it is hard to duplicate or he is hiding information on purpose.

If you watch his videos, he tells you the dimensions as he's presenting the information. He isn't always consistent about what he says, but for pity sake. He's doing these without a lot of editing and his wife is holding the flipping camera.

Did he mess up one of your guns or are you just living in bonerville? Hard to imagine someone caring so much about something like this............

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast