Thread: Cut 16" Colt skinny barrel to 11.5-12.5" ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Cut 16" Colt skinny barrel to 11.5-12.5" ?

Lately I have entertained the thought of turning my current lightweight iron sight carbine into an SBR. It has a 16" Colt 6720 barrel which is very handy but rarely used. It also has a Geissele carbine handguard for free float. Given it's port size designed for a 16" barrel [I don't know the size] would it work well has an SBR?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    Lately I have entertained the thought of turning my current lightweight iron sight carbine into an SBR. It has a 16" Colt 6720 barrel which is very handy but rarely used. It also has a Geissele carbine handguard for free float. Given it's port size designed for a 16" barrel [I don't know the size] would it work well has an SBR?

Thanks
    Anyone know if Colt 16” barrels .062”-.063” like the 14.5” ones? I’ve got a Hodge 12.5” that is allegedly .0625”, and it runs great.

Do you use a silencer?
    Last edited by 1168; 02-14-22 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I believe Colt uses the same port size for the 14.5s and 16” carbines.

I’m not sure off the top of my head but I think their 11.5s are ported at like .068” or something.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a big deal if it won't cycle, especially if you have a source for lettered/numbered/fractional/metric drill bits. Stick something like a brass rod or wood dowel close to bore diameter in to keep from hitting the bottom and enlarge till it functions.

Feedback Score
    By the time you pay to have it cut, threaded and the port opened to the correct size, youre gonna spent as much as a new barrel and gas block.

Bubba gunsmith might give you a good deal but its gonna be a disaster.
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    By the time you pay to have it cut, threaded and the port opened to the correct size, youre gonna spent as much as a new barrel and gas block.

Bubba gunsmith might give you a good deal but its gonna be a disaster.
    Yeah, I really don't want to waste the time, effort and money on something that won't or even may not work. So it will remain a 16" or maybe a 14.5 barrel. I already have a Colt skinny cut from 16" to 14.5/7 P&W that runs just great.
    When the time comes I'll get a new barrel.

This maybe a different question but what is the best running sub 14.5" barrel length? Something short enough to make an SBR worth the effort but still reliable.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The easy answer is a properly gassed 11.5" Carbine.

Yeah, I really don't want to waste the time, effort and money on something that won't or even may not work. So it will remain a 16" or maybe a 14.5 barrel. I already have a Colt skinny cut from 16" to 14.5/7 P&W that runs just great.

This maybe a different question but what is the best running sub 14.5" barrel length? Something short enough to make an SBR worth the effort but still reliable.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

I’m fond of 12.5”, but 11.5” works very well, also. 10.3” guns work well, too, but I feel its a little too short, ballistically.
    Last edited by 1168; 02-14-22 at 13:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don’t chop that factory Colt skinny barrel. They are out of production. Instead of monkeying around with chopping, threading, and opening the gas port, just buy a BRT 11.5 or 12.5 CHF CL barrel. They are outstanding.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    Don’t chop that factory Colt skinny barrel. They are out of production. Instead of monkeying around with chopping, threading, and opening the gas port, just buy a BRT 11.5 or 12.5 CHF CL barrel. They are outstanding.
    Yeah, cutting is off the table. When the time comes it will be a purpose built 11.5-12.5" barrel.