Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WEAK Scout Surefire light

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

WEAK Scout Surefire light

I bought a KE2DF Scout Light on a good deal on BF - but even though its rated at 1500 Lumens it looks MUCH weaker than my TRL-H1 which is rated at 800 lumens. Its marked Surefire and is in the proper packaging.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Could be a counterfeit, I've encountered those. Came in a Surefire box with all the accessories but felt very cheap with a loose and rattling switch. I bought it second-hand, seller claimed that he bought it from Amazon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    I bought a KE2DF Scout Light on a good deal on BF - but even though its rated at 1500 Lumens it looks MUCH weaker than my TRL-H1 which is rated at 800 lumens. Its marked Surefire and is in the proper packaging.
    I don't have a DF Scout but found this interesting:

https://arisakadefense.com/blog/aris...re-beam-shots/

Seems the DF has more spill than throw? Could be that your TLR-H1 projects the light different so it seems brighter?

How far were you trying to illuminate with it?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The Dual Fuel Scout has only 16000 candela when using the proper 18650s, and 12800 candela when running on CR123As. The newer generation of TLR-1 HLs are rated at 1000 lumens with 20000 candela, while the older generation at 800 lumens typically have 15000 candela. To the human eye, the differences are likely not that drastic, so I would be suspicious as to whether or not there's something wrong with the Scout, presuming that you're not accidentally using a 1000 lumen TLR-1 HL and pairing it against a DF on CR123As.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Are you using a tape switch, or a tailcap button?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    The Dual Fuel Scout has only 16000 candela when using the proper 18650s, and 12800 candela when running on CR123As. The newer generation of TLR-1 HLs are rated at 1000 lumens with 20000 candela, while the older generation at 800 lumens typically have 15000 candela. To the human eye, the differences are likely not that drastic, so I would be suspicious as to whether or not there's something wrong with the Scout, presuming that you're not accidentally using a 1000 lumen TLR-1 HL and pairing it against a DF on CR123As.
    This is the answer.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    This is the answer.
    Thanks. I bought my scout new at PA. I don't think its defective. I bought the HLs some time ago, and but they COULD be 1000 lumens. But when you compare the beams, the scout spills a bit wider and seems less intense. I just expected a hot spot at least as intense as a 1000 Lumen light. I also have Olight PLs and they are also seemingly more intense with a great beam.

Is the Scout meant to have a broader beam or what? Not sure I get the purpose when there are smaller, handier lights with more intense light for carbines.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Thanks. I bought my scout new at PA. I don't think its defective. I bought the HLs some time ago, and but they COULD be 1000 lumens. But when you compare the beams, the scout spills a bit wider and seems less intense. I just expected a hot spot at least as intense as a 1000 Lumen light. I also have Olight PLs and they are also seemingly more intense with a great beam.

Is the Scout meant to have a broader beam or what? Not sure I get the purpose when there are smaller, handier lights with more intense light for carbines.
    This is a complicated answer. But the easiest way to explain it is Surefire isn’t cutting edge in output performance and stream light’s development cycle is just a little behind surefire which allows them to compensate for Surefire’s latest products. Surefire raced to 1500 lumens and got there first. That’s about it. Stream light has a hotter hot spot and now candela are almost equal or more important than lumen as a performance metric. Modlite’s PLHv2 is a notable improvement over the Surefire. Heads are interchangeable so you can just add one to your surefire body if you’re not satisfied.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I plan to send back. I checked again last night. This scout light is just plain weak. It is NOT as penetrating as the HL in any way, and it costs almost twice as much. If I need better I'll go Modlite or reluctantly go with a Chicom version.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It is NOT as penetrating as the HL in any way, and it costs almost twice as much.
    I think you are seeking beam intensity, not lumens. These Malkoff heads may interest you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast