Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OTF Knives: Why are they $40 or $400???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

OTF Knives: Why are they $40 or $400???

I know it isn't totally true, but there are very few knives in the $150-300 price point. I think I talked about this before. But you have Microtechs and Benchmade at the top end, and I've gotten a AKC Evo. I don't get the huge price difference. Granted, the Benchmade has been in my pocket alot and has never misfired, but the Microtech- a drawer dweller and my AKC both stopped working. A little TLC and the AKC EVO came back to life, need to work on the Microtech when I find the tool I ordered.

Tearing down the AKC, I was impressed with the inards. I like how it came apart. It seems more dust proof than the BEnchmade. I just don't like the ergos/shape of it, and it doesn't have a pocket clip-though recent versions have a clip.

I know blade steel and manufacturing location. But almost 10X, or at least 4x?

I like OTFs, but frankly, they catch and get flunk out of my pocket once in awhile. $400 a pop is steep, but the sub $100 are lacking features. Seems like there should be more $200 options....

Good God, those Hawk OTF Deadlocks are pretty dear...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

OTF Knives: Why are they $40 or $400???

I have several OTF’s. I believe they are complicated to do well.

It is a niche market and not legal everywhere which may be a contributing factor.

My Bench made OTF’s are over priced for what they are and the $40 variety aren’t worth the energy used to walk them to your car.

In my experience Guardian Tactical strikes that middle ground you are looking for in an OTF knife.

They ain’t cheap, but they aren’t $400 either.

Last edited by HKGuns; 11-24-21 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I watched some torture test with the Benchmades and was shocked at the absolute beating they could take and still work. I mean slamming the blade into a 2X4 and torquing it back and forth , multiple times and it still worked. The guy couldn't break it. I don't know how they build such quality but I can see how the prices can get up there. I thought these blades creeped down into the $350ish range?

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Because they are gimmicky Hollywood things that are complicated to do properly, meaning you get two segments: the shitty Chicom ones for posers to put next to their nunchuck and throwing star collection, and expensive well-made ones for collectors.

I'm still really challenged on why someone would buy this over a folding knife with a flipper, but to each their own.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    I'm still really challenged on why someone would buy this over a folding knife with a flipper, but to each their own.
    Because its good to have options.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    Because they are gimmicky Hollywood things that are complicated to do properly, meaning you get two segments: the shitty Chicom ones for posers to put next to their nunchuck and throwing star collection, and expensive well-made ones for collectors.

It takes less effort and less pracitce to thumb the button than flick a folder with a stud.

Feedback Score
    There are also many microtech ultra techs being beat to shit as well and they hold up incredibly well. I went Ultratech from spiderco pm2 because I had the pm2 open slightly in my pocket and when I reached in it went straight to the bone and I had to have 7 stitches on the tip of my finger. From that point I won't carry anything but an Ultratech because there is no way in hell that thing will accidentally open and I love the action. So I'm sold on them

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I watched some torture test with the Benchmades and was shocked at the absolute beating they could take and still work. I mean slamming the blade into a 2X4 and torquing it back and forth , multiple times and it still worked. The guy couldn't break it. I don't know how they build such quality but I can see how the prices can get up there. I thought these blades creeped down into the $350ish range?

PB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    There are also many microtech ultra techs being beat to shit as well and they hold up incredibly well. I went Ultratech from spiderco pm2 because I had the pm2 open slightly in my pocket and when I reached in it went straight to the bone and I had to have 7 stitches on the tip of my finger. From that point I won't carry anything but an Ultratech because there is no way in hell that thing will accidentally open and I love the action. So I'm sold on them
    I understand why you switched, but how did that happen with a PM2 if it was clipped in your pocket correctly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I understand why you switched, but how did that happen with a PM2 if it was clipped in your pocket correctly?
    I have no idea. I carried them tip up and carried one flavor or another pm2 for 5ish years and it happened twice. One didn’t get my but I felt it was open and the second was the mf that made me change. I still love them but just can’t trust them

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I have no idea. I carried them tip up and carried one flavor or another pm2 for 5ish years and it happened twice. One didn’t get my but I felt it was open and the second was the mf that made me change. I still love them but just can’t trust them
    OK, but if you carry tip up, pocket clipped, the blade should open towards your rear when in the pocket. This allows you to pull it out of your pocket with thumb going in pocket and the rest of your hand on the outside of the pocket. This aligns your thumb with the thumbhole to allow you to quickly open the blade with your thumb. If the blade is partly open, it should be to the rear of your hand and should catch the corner of your pocket when you try and pull it out.

edit: I know what you are talking about though. It has happened to me once on my ZT550, but it caught the corner of my pocket like I mentioned. It got close to me hand, but never touched it.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-27-21 at 12:22.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast