Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OTF Knives: Why are they $40 or $400???

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Who currently makes a good, high-end needle?
    Hawk Deadlock, Benchmade Infidel and Microtech

Feedback Score
    That new SOG Pentagon OTF looks pretty cool. Pretty good locking up mechanism. Pretty expensive though, closer to my $400 end, and too long for pocket carry here in CO.

The Deadlock is the hotness though, but I’d need a knife to protect me when carrying that knife. It is worth more than anything else I’d be carrying….
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-02-21 at 17:15.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Hawk Deadlock, Benchmade Infidel and Microtech
    Is the Hawk Deadlock better than a Microtech? I don't really consider Microtech to be a very high quality brand. Also, they are not full-travel drive. It kindof "launches" the blade on momentum after the first little bit of driven travel. Does anyone make a full travel assisted/driven needle anymore, even?
    Last edited by WS6; 12-03-21 at 06:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Is the Hawk Deadlock better than a Microtech? I don't really consider Microtech to be a very high quality brand. Also, they are not full-travel drive. It kind of "launches" the blade on momentum after the first little bit of driven travel. Does anyone make a full travel assisted/driven needle anymore, even?
    You are referencing double vs single action. Single action will have full assist all the way to the lock. That's why it takes you manually pulling the blade back to reset it to it's closed lock position. The Microtech Halo VI is single action. There are a few others. They even make an "ice pick" type of single action called the Guard Father Spike. You have to reset it on a hard surface. Cheap at $16.99

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=guard+father

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I missed out on the first Hawk Model C drop so I can't comment yet, but based on reviews they seem to be a top pick.

A couple of guys at work carry Microtechs- they seem well enough built to me but I don't like the action and thumb stud placement. I much prefer the thumb placement on my Benchmade which the Deadlock shares.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 12-03-21 at 10:44.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    You are referencing double vs single action. Single action will have full assist all the way to the lock. That's why it takes you manually pulling the blade back to reset it to it's closed lock position. The Microtech Halo VI is single action. There are a few others. They even make an "ice pick" type of single action called the Guard Father Spike. You have to reset it on a hard surface. Cheap at $16.99

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=guard+father
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I know it isn't totally true, but there are very few knives in the $150-300 price point. I think I talked about this before. But you have Microtechs and Benchmade at the top end, and I've gotten a AKC Evo. I don't get the huge price difference. Granted, the Benchmade has been in my pocket alot and has never misfired, but the Microtech- a drawer dweller and my AKC both stopped working. A little TLC and the AKC EVO came back to life, need to work on the Microtech when I find the tool I ordered.

Tearing down the AKC, I was impressed with the inards. I like how it came apart. It seems more dust proof than the BEnchmade. I just don't like the ergos/shape of it, and it doesn't have a pocket clip-though recent versions have a clip.

I know blade steel and manufacturing location. But almost 10X, or at least 4x?

I like OTFs, but frankly, they catch and get flunk out of my pocket once in awhile. $400 a pop is steep, but the sub $100 are lacking features. Seems like there should be more $200 options....

Good God, those Hawk OTF Deadlocks are pretty dear...
    Check out Guardian Tactical.
    One of my friends bought one, and it is simply amazing compared to my AKC evo extreme, and my AKC is pretty nice in my opinion.

The guy who started the company, used to design knives for Microtec, he started his own company to take his designs to a new level… and from what is said, they accomplished the mission.
    It’s supposed to have the absolute best action out there. I believe they incorporated ceramic bearing into the action.

Feedback Score
    There are also many microtech ultra techs being beat to shit as well and they hold up incredibly well. I went Ultratech from spiderco pm2 because I had the pm2 open slightly in my pocket and when I reached in it went straight to the bone and I had to have 7 stitches on the tip of my finger. From that point I won't carry anything but an Ultratech because there is no way in hell that thing will accidentally open and I love the action. So I'm sold on them

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I watched some torture test with the Benchmades and was shocked at the absolute beating they could take and still work. I mean slamming the blade into a 2X4 and torquing it back and forth , multiple times and it still worked. The guy couldn't break it. I don't know how they build such quality but I can see how the prices can get up there. I thought these blades creeped down into the $350ish range?

PB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    There are also many microtech ultra techs being beat to shit as well and they hold up incredibly well. I went Ultratech from spiderco pm2 because I had the pm2 open slightly in my pocket and when I reached in it went straight to the bone and I had to have 7 stitches on the tip of my finger. From that point I won't carry anything but an Ultratech because there is no way in hell that thing will accidentally open and I love the action. So I'm sold on them
    I understand why you switched, but how did that happen with a PM2 if it was clipped in your pocket correctly?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    I understand why you switched, but how did that happen with a PM2 if it was clipped in your pocket correctly?
    I have no idea. I carried them tip up and carried one flavor or another pm2 for 5ish years and it happened twice. One didn’t get my but I felt it was open and the second was the mf that made me change. I still love them but just can’t trust them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast