Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OTF Knives: Why are they $40 or $400???

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Who currently makes a good, high-end needle?
    Hawk Deadlock, Benchmade Infidel and Microtech
    Canada is like a loft over a good party

Feedback Score
    That new SOG Pentagon OTF looks pretty cool. Pretty good locking up mechanism. Pretty expensive though, closer to my $400 end, and too long for pocket carry here in CO.

The Deadlock is the hotness though, but I’d need a knife to protect me when carrying that knife. It is worth more than anything else I’d be carrying….
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 12-02-21 at 18:15.
    I just did two lines of powdered wig powder, cranked up some Lee Greenwood, and recited the BoR. - Outlander Systems

I'm a professional WAGer - WillBrink /// "Comey is a smarmy, self righteous mix of J. Edgar Hoover and a gay Lurch from the "Adams Family"." -Averageman

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Hawk Deadlock, Benchmade Infidel and Microtech
    Is the Hawk Deadlock better than a Microtech? I don't really consider Microtech to be a very high quality brand. Also, they are not full-travel drive. It kindof "launches" the blade on momentum after the first little bit of driven travel. Does anyone make a full travel assisted/driven needle anymore, even?
    Last edited by WS6; 12-03-21 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Is the Hawk Deadlock better than a Microtech? I don't really consider Microtech to be a very high quality brand. Also, they are not full-travel drive. It kind of "launches" the blade on momentum after the first little bit of driven travel. Does anyone make a full travel assisted/driven needle anymore, even?
    You are referencing double vs single action. Single action will have full assist all the way to the lock. That's why it takes you manually pulling the blade back to reset it to it's closed lock position. The Microtech Halo VI is single action. There are a few others. They even make an "ice pick" type of single action called the Guard Father Spike. You have to reset it on a hard surface. Cheap at $16.99

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=guard+father

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I missed out on the first Hawk Model C drop so I can't comment yet, but based on reviews they seem to be a top pick.

A couple of guys at work carry Microtechs- they seem well enough built to me but I don't like the action and thumb stud placement. I much prefer the thumb placement on my Benchmade which the Deadlock shares.
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 12-03-21 at 11:44.
    Canada is like a loft over a good party

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    You are referencing double vs single action. Single action will have full assist all the way to the lock. That's why it takes you manually pulling the blade back to reset it to it's closed lock position. The Microtech Halo VI is single action. There are a few others. They even make an "ice pick" type of single action called the Guard Father Spike. You have to reset it on a hard surface. Cheap at $16.99

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=guard+father
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12