Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22LR Bolt Action Magnification

Feedback Score
    I don't like a lot of magnification on a .22 rifle. Well, not for my intended purposes. I only have two semi-autos right now, and one wears a 4X, and the other carries a 2X red dot. I would like to invest in a chassis rifle, in .22...I would probably put a higher end scope on that, with at least up to 9X magnification.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    My current favorite .22LR bolt gun is a magazine fed Cooper Model 57M with a sporter weight barrel. I put a long serving Leupold VX-III 2.8-8X36 on top of it in Leupold Redfield style mounts, and that little scope has been about perfect.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    My .22LR varmint rifle has a fixed 4 power scope. My 300 yard steel target rifle has a 4x16 -44mm scope mounted on it.
    This.

I’ve never missed a squirrel because my fixed 4x wasn’t enough… or because I was messing around with the the power.

That said if you have one .22 for a few roles get a 3x9 etc, just put it at low power and leave it alone for hunting.

Feedback Score
    Close parallax compensation is the biggest thing. I think that for target shooting, at all but the longest ranges, a 10-15 top end is all you need. I have a 5-27 on a 22lr bolt gun for target shooting, and usually I’ll dial it down to about 15 most of the time. Especially if you are going from target to target under 125 yards
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Depends entirely on your application.
    My PRS Rimfire rifles have 5-27, 7-35, and 6-24.
    I rarely use them at magnification above 15x for actual competition, but do roll up into the higher end occasionally.
    I would not recommend sticking at a 15x max just because I don't use it in competition often.

My "carry around" 22s have LPVOs, and are used at both 1x and top end.

I have a "precision" 10/22 that has pretty much become a plinker and what I put people on for fun. It has a 4-12, and works really well for that use as it's easy for new shooters to find their target and see what's going on. I don't personally shoot it much, as I have other guns/optics that fit my individual needs better.

As noted above, magnification range is an important aspect of use, but you definitely want to have the ability to pull parallax down to 25 yards, with closer being better. Parallax can distinctly affect performance at 15-50 yards, especially given the size of appropriate targets at those distances when it comes to .22 LR application.

I also look for as much elevation available inside the optic, as I need to be able to shoot from 25 to 500 yards, and there is a LOT of drop at 500 with subsonic 40gr pills. I have around 50MOA in my bases and mounts for that.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12