Thread: My report from desert brutality 2021

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My report from desert brutality 2021

I had a chance to shoot the 2021 DB match this year after admiring it on you tube for the past few years. I've shot 2 gun since 2018 and totally enjoyed it since. I no longer do IDPA or USPSA regularly, just a little boring for me [not that I'm a master class at either..].

Anyway, the match lived up to my expectations which were quite high ! I loved it. It did test everything, equipment, clothing, LBE and mostly oneself. Things I found out:
    - my LBE worked but needs more adjustment for comfort.
    - my shoes: Solomon Speed Cross 5, excellent fit and amazing grip in any soil conditions, soft sand, gravely sand, dirt, uphill and downhill.
    - should have used my scarf sooner to protect my neck.
    - simple mag pouches work, I used some Condor ones for rifle and pistol mags.
    - I added bungie cord retention to my pistol holster that worked well, quite secure.

Rifle:
    basics, Colt pencil barrel, Centurion C7 carbine cut out hand guards, Colt BCG, BCM blemished upper receiver. The barrel was shortened to 14.7, PW and the upper receiver group was assembled by Adco.
    Aimpoint Comp M4 with SIG Juliet 4X magnifier.
    Pistol: I took some time in this consideration. At my disposal is a Beretta M9 compact or a Colt Government in .38 super. The M9 has capacity and reasonable accuracy in my hands. I have a long time behind a M9.
    The Colt is my long tested and suffering .38 super auto. Some custom touches like a 10-8 national match rear sight and a Trijicon XD front. Modest polishing of throat and feed ramps. Sharp edges removed, cerocote finish [very worn], full power Colt mainspring, Wilson #15 flatwire recoil spring.
    With the ammo I had at my disposal the 9mm did not make enough of an impact on the steel for me. I expected a pistol spinner [it was there..] and I wanted accuracy and power. The Colt had both with the factory ammo I had [130gr @ 1200fps]. Accurate and powerful it only lacked capacity at 10+1.
    I went with the Colt but brought the M9 in case I chickened out.... I'm glad I stayed with the Colt as it's accuracy and flat shooting ammo really helped on the 50yd pistol target we encountered.
    It was very dusty and we found ourselves rolling around in the dust regularly. No rifle racks while waiting for our turn, just lay it down in the talcum like dirt. Lots of dust everywhere and we were in it every stage. I'm still trying to get the dust out of my sinuses...!
    Both weapons ran 100%.
    Running up hill, down hill, pulling heavy sleds, heaving a 30lb kettlebell down range, throwing a 50lb kettlebell over a barrier and all at 5000-6000 ft elevation.

Dang it was fun !

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    That sounds freakin awesome!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Freaking moon dust. That stuff tests every piece of equipment including yourself.

I enjoy events themed with work and shooting. Great way to actually prove out methods and components. Funny you mention a bungie on your pistol holster. I've been using a shock cord with a pull tab (that I removed from a 511 pistol mag pouch) as secondary retention on my game holster. Can't lock up or seize and can be cut in some highly unlikely extreme circumstance.

What was the approximate round count?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Freaking moon dust. That stuff tests every piece of equipment including yourself.

I enjoy events themed with work and shooting. Great way to actually prove out methods and components. Funny you mention a bungie on your pistol holster. I've been using a shock cord with a pull tab (that I removed from a 511 pistol mag pouch) as secondary retention on my game holster. Can't lock up or seize and can be cut in some highly unlikely extreme circumstance.

What was the approximate round count?
    Hmm, good question. The match focused on longer distances so if one missed a lot.... I reckon I spent around 200 rounds 5.56 and 50 rounds + or - .38 super. Not a lot, some sent a lot more rounds down range than that... Gotta know your zero out to 500 yards.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sounds like a great time and good learning experience!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Just watched Ian's videos and you weren't kidding about those spinners being tough. Looked like a good time though.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Great report 1986.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, the cool thing for me at least was that I was in the squad just behind his so I saw many of his runs in person. On that long range stage I made every target except for the 550yd one which I just couldn't see with my 4X magnifier. According to the spotter I came very close... But I was just shooting at dark colored rocks by that point. I was Partizan div.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah, the cool thing for me at least was that I was in the squad just behind his so I saw many of his runs in person. On that long range stage I made every target except for the 550yd one which I just couldn't see with my 4X magnifier. According to the spotter I came very close... But I was just shooting at dark colored rocks by that point. I was Partizan div.