Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxim Defense for an SBR upper? Or something like a Wilson 300 H'AMR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Maxim Defense for an SBR upper? Or something like a Wilson 300 H'AMR?

My search didn't yield much other than my post from about a year ago.

Does anyone have experience with the Maxim Defense uppers or rifles? I am thinking about converting one of my SBR rifles or possibly buying a pistol format 300 Black Out. I'm thinking 5.5" but, an 8.5" barrel would be a viable option as well if I need the extra 3" for stabilization or it provides a real velocity boost. I will note I'm thinking subsonic heavy loads to cut down on muzzle blast but, I am also open to thoughts on the supersonic options. Also, I find it weird Maxim Defense doesn't list barrel twist rates on their website.

The 5.56 and 7.62x39 options don't really appeal to me. 5.56 just loses too much oomph to be practical IMHO and the SKS/AK round has supply and magazine issues I don't want to deal with.

I have considered a Wilson 300 H'AMR in a short upper but, they are longer than I would really like. That caliber does look good in shorter barrels but, I would realistically be in the MK-18 region of lengths and weights and I have concerns with getting harsh muzzle blast (I don't want to test my fillings and other dental work every time I pull the trigger).

I have an HK MP-5L being SBR'ed but, the 9mm isn't providing the penetration I want so it is mostly a range toy at this point in life. I want a heavier projectile with better penetration against predators, feral hogs, and aggressive dogs. My 9mm and 45ACP experiences with feral hogs have been underwhelming, sure if you can get the perfect shot even a rimfire would do the job but, I'm not Karamojo Bell shooting elephants with old 7 Mauser rifles and want the advantages of something better. The shorter and lighter the better but, a true pistol won't do the job I want it in my rural farm life.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I've been interested in their CQB system, but can't seem to find any thorough reviews on it. I'd like to pair it with a shortish 300 BO barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I have considered a Wilson 300 H'AMR in a short upper but, they are longer than I would really like.
    They are available with an 8" barrel. That is still too long? https://www.wilsoncombat.com/300-hamr-ar-pistol/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    They are available with an 8" barrel. That is still too long? https://www.wilsoncombat.com/300-hamr-ar-pistol/
    They have 11.3" barrels and 16" uppers in stock. Unless I missed something, the 8" models are and have been back-ordered since the COVID pandemic took off.

If they had the 11.3" uppers in stock, I would definitely consider one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    8"-9" 300BLK is where I would be looking for what you mention. Ammo prices are cheaper, ammo is more available, and ammo diversity is much higher.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    8"-9" 300BLK is where I would be looking for what you mention. Ammo prices are cheaper, ammo is more available, and ammo diversity is much higher.
    I'm in general agreement with you. When you get into less than 8" AR-15//M-16 options, gas port sizes and dwell times get problematic. Regarding availability and pricing, ignoring steel and poly cases, where I shop I'm not seeing a lot of price difference between brass cased ammunition in "popular" cartridges.

300BO ammunition purchases are basically a "whack'a'mole" for me at online or local retailers. Pricing seems to be similar whether 300BO or 300HAM'R if you are somewhat selective to catch a "sale" price.

I like my 11.5" 5.56 SBR but, I wish it was a little more compact. If I swapped out the buttstock for something shorter, that would help but I want a bigger payload for better results. A more efficient cartridge with less flash and boom would definitely be nicer to use if it keeps performance where it needs to be. A 100lb boar is pretty tough if he is coming straight at you and an aggressive dog presents a totally different challenge ballistically with their lighter construction and smaller sizes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought .300 HAM'R was supposed to be easily formed from once-fired 5.56 brass, but I am not a reloader so I cannot smell BS. True, or hype?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm in general agreement with you. When you get into less than 8" AR-15//M-16 options, gas port sizes and dwell times get problematic. Regarding availability and pricing, ignoring steel and poly cases, where I shop I'm not seeing a lot of price difference between brass cased ammunition in "popular" cartridges.

300BO ammunition purchases are basically a "whack'a'mole" for me at online or local retailers. Pricing seems to be similar whether 300BO or 300HAM'R if you are somewhat selective to catch a "sale" price.
    When all of this ammo nonsense pricing gets settled down, I expect to see 300BLK selling in roughly 50 cents a round pricing, though I confess I hope for even better. There are some new options coming out, so hopefully that will drive the price down even more.

Its always possible that we can get Grant to do a group buy option as well, but I would wait on ammo prices to go down before anyone asked that of him. I'm also working on another project ( only from the periphery) that may be worth while for 300BLK shooters.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like my 11.5" 5.56 SBR but, I wish it was a little more compact. If I swapped out the buttstock for something shorter, that would help but I want a bigger payload for better results. A more efficient cartridge with less flash and boom would definitely be nicer to use if it keeps performance where it needs to be. A 100lb boar is pretty tough if he is coming straight at you and an aggressive dog presents a totally different challenge ballistically with their lighter construction and smaller sizes.
    I still have a decent pile of the original military ammo from when I wrote the article that released the 300BLK to the public (via military times). 110 grain Barnes will kill very effectively. I admit I do NOT have a lot of solid experience with the subsonic ammo which is supposed to expand.

Shorter is better for vehicle work, and that includes riding on a tractor or in a truck. I've had some real world experience where I was unable to grab my carbine from my cruiser even though it was in my cabin because events were transpiring so rapidly right in front of me. Overall length of the weapon versus stability (and therefore accuracy) is still a real issue. Right length is more important than shortest length in my experiences.

What buttstock are you using now on your 11.5?
    Stick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    What buttstock are you using now on your 11.5?
    A standard CAR collapsible. I started thinking about the Maxim Defense shortie with its bolt carrier or a Law Sidefolder but, I really need something with more payload for an immediate stop after being attacked by dogs doing fence work in a pasture or on the county road checking my mailbox (no longer an issue since it had an explosive destroy it).

Between paranoid people moving out here from big cities to suspected dope growers, there are a ton of aggressive dogs out here in the country where people feel they are free to do what ever they want without repercussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast