Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxim Defense for an SBR upper? Or something like a Wilson 300 H'AMR?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Overall length of the weapon versus stability (and therefore accuracy) is still a real issue. Right length is more important than shortest length in my experiences.
    ABSOLUTELY! I have fired some wispy thin AR-15's that were hard to hold on target. As my instructor drilled into me, "wobble area" is where you want to shoot without forcing the shot or trying to time it. With that, I was able to do some impressive things I never expected to accomplish at the range.

This is countered by execution in the real world when tangible negative outcomes are likely if you don't perform adequately. Heart rate, adrenalin, abnormal breathing, etc. all make it more difficult.

Thankfully, if my rifle shot is over 30 yards, I have time to prepare for it. If it is less, precision isn't nearly as critical assuming I still connect with a good round that has oomph behind it.

One 45 ACP hardball encounter with 230gr bouncing off the boar facing me really altered my thoughts about effectiveness and what is appropriate. A tusker will really mess you up if charged. My 6.8SPC 18" MSR is certainly effective but, it isn't practical and gets left behind most of the time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    One 45 ACP hardball encounter with 230gr bouncing off the boar facing me really altered my thoughts about effectiveness and what is appropriate. A tusker will really mess you up if charged. My 6.8SPC 18" MSR is certainly effective but, it isn't practical and gets left behind most of the time.

Reminds me of the time I was shooting a retaining/ defensive wall. I did a Sgt Rock impersonation and burst a nice long burst into it with one of the Thompsons.... I caught a bunch of 230 hardball ricochets into my quads and shins from my 25 yard away "target". Bruises and split skin aside, it was better than the time I took frozen Sim rounds to the inside of the thigh!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Reminds me of the time I was shooting a retaining/ defensive wall. I did a Sgt Rock impersonation and burst a nice long burst into it with one of the Thompsons.... I caught a bunch of 230 hardball ricochets into my quads and shins from my 25 yard away "target". Bruises and split skin aside, it was better than the time I took frozen Sim rounds to the inside of the thigh!
    Frozen Sim rounds! I bet that made a dried out paintball seem like a ping pong ball!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    Frozen Sim rounds! I bet that made a dried out paintball seem like a ping pong ball!
    From 8 feet away, I'm glad I was wearing thick pants. When I pulled them down, the skin was split open like a grape, and was disgusting. I tell this tale not because I enjoy thinking about how impressed I was that I retained a passive face, but more so that people understand it was bad enough that I was almost in tears as I was checking out the damage. Sims are no joke when used improperly, especially at point blank range with frozen rounds. It also taught me that guys leaving gear in their cars overnight can be detrimental to the learning environment.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From 8 feet away, I'm glad I was wearing thick pants. When I pulled them down, the skin was split open like a grape, and was disgusting. I tell this tale not because I enjoy thinking about how impressed I was that I retained a passive face, but more so that people understand it was bad enough that I was almost in tears as I was checking out the damage. Sims are no joke when used improperly, especially at point blank range with frozen rounds. It also taught me that guys leaving gear in their cars overnight can be detrimental to the learning environment.
    Yes, a lot of people don't treat "less than lethal" products with appropriate caution and attention. Treating paintball guns with old dried-out pellets like a Nerf Pistol will do similar things. Blanks and similar things placed against the skin can also cause a lot of damage with hot gas expansion. Ask pretty much any long-term EMT in a big city and they can and will tell you about injuries like this where people were just acting stupid or careless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12