Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas key, is there any viable way to fix this without a new key?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Gas key, is there any viable way to fix this without a new key?

My cousin dropped his carbine, and somehow Slightly crushed his gas key. I had to forcefully remove the carrier. The picture doesn’t do it justice, but the top of the key has enough of a flat, that the weapon won’t function.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You could probably use a pointed punch to reshape is. With a part that inexpensive, I would replace it and not waste my time trying to salvage it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I heard that. And I do have the staking tool.
    He’s just kind of a tight wad lol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by camoman View Post
    I heard that. And I do have the staking tool.
    He’s just kind of a tight wad lol.
    Is your staking tool as large as the ID of the key? I’m thinking a large pointed punch or drift, something large enough that you could tap in to reform the key.

Feedback Score
    They are $17 at Brownells plus two new screws.
    While he might be able to straighten the key, there's a good chance he'll damage the gas tube.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, I tried with a drift punch. The bcg has free movement now, but I’m not sure if I furthered the damage.
    We are gonna go put a few mags through it.
    I’m betting it is fixed, but I’m not ruling out it’s not.
    Thanks for the ideas.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's like toast landing buttered side down. Gets you every time!

There is a tool that can reshape it, but I don't know where to get them now, or if they're still available. The old manuals detail how to use them, but it seems they just trash the carrier now and don't bother. I'm not sure if they just figured it wasn't worth it or if they had problems.

I've tried a standard punch, and it doesn't work. Not the right shape. I guess you could try making one yourself, but that sounds really hard at best.

Replacing a key is harder and more complicated than it sounds. I would just get a new BCG if this is a working gun. I will and have replaced keys on fun guns, but I would never rely on a DIY job for my bedside rifle. You could always do a DIY repair and keep it as a spare or use it in a fun gun build down the road.

Feedback Score
    As mentioned there is a tool that the US Military uses to fix a carrier key. It's pretty much unobtainium on the civilian side.

Up until last year the only person I knew that had one was William Larson.

I had about 30 of them I purchased from a defense contractor last year but the cost was high ($100 each). Haven't been able to find any since.

You can make one. Several of the 23&P manuals give details on dimensions. Pretty easy if you have access to a lathe.

Fixing the key is not usually done on the civilian side and people just replace them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOTAR View Post
    As mentioned there is a tool that the US Military uses to fix a carrier key. It's pretty much unobtainium on the civilian side.

Up until last year the only person I knew that had one was William Larson.

I had about 30 of them I purchased from a defense contractor last year but the cost was high ($100 each). Haven't been able to find any since.

You can make one. Several of the 23&P manuals give details on dimensions. Pretty easy if you have access to a lathe.

Fixing the key is not usually done on the civilian side and people just replace them.
    I believe the military stopped using them. This is pure speculation on my part, but I've noticed that dudes stationed at nearby bases sell contract BCGs with fubared keys, that obviously got pilfered from an arms room. Lightly used at that. The only conclusion I can come to is that they trash them and then enterprising young businessmen dig them out while no one is looking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’m still waiting for the range report, but worst case he has to order a key.
    I’ve already replaced two keys, on two different carriers. While it’s a bit of a pain, to remove the old one, I know what I’m in for. I have the inch pound torque driver, the staking tool, and the aviation form a gasket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast