Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with chosing a light

Feedback Score

Help me with chosing a light

I have an ar pistol that needs a weapon light, its my bedside gun and stays cocked and locked. It has the magpul pro buis, and an aimpoint PRO. On the bottom side of the picture I have a streamlight pistol light on it, and want a better set up. With the rails and where the handstop is how and where would you suggest putting a light, and what light? Will the REIN work on it? I just bought an okw modlite for my other carbine for the long throw. Any sugestions are apreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ubet; 11-26-21 at 19:39.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'd probably go for a X300 or the like on the 9 o'clock position so you can activate it with your thumb.

A Scout on the 10-11 o'clock position with an offset mount and just a thumb switch tailcap would be good too. This is what I have on my rifle.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Take the stream light, put it at 12 and bump the BUIS back a couple slots? I’m assuming you’re referring to a TLR-1. If you have the 300 lumen version, you should upgrade. If you have an HL, there isn’t any need. The REIN is huge and heavy. Output might be great but size alone makes it a no, especially on a pistol setup that is small and light weight.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Personally, I would only put a light at a 3 o'clock position (for a right handed shooter) and use a 12 o'clock mounted button.
    You have to ask yourself the question, If you have to do a bi-lateral transition and shoot with your left hand, how will you activate the light?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Help me with chosing a light

Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    Personally, I would only put a light at a 3 o'clock position (for a right handed shooter) and use a 12 o'clock mounted button.
    You have to ask yourself the question, If you have to do a bi-lateral transition and shoot with your left hand, how will you activate the light?
    Right thumb? Talking without a button… which I really only use with Scout lights (and tend to keep those on 16” carbines).

I run my pistol lights on larger firearms usually on the 9:00 position. Support/left hand… thumb is fine. Trigger finger on reverse (right as support) also works.

I do have a few where I run it on 3:00, mainly to prevent sling conflicts… but it doesn’t hinder me that much. If I can run it on 9:00, I prefer to… since folding stocks or braces take up similar offset behind it.

For the OP, Magpul 5-slot polymer rail and a TLR-1 HL. Done.
    Last edited by Screwball; 11-27-21 at 06:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Right thumb? Talking without a button… which I really only use with Scout lights (and tend to keep those on 16” carbines).

I run my pistol lights on larger firearms usually on the 9:00 position. Support/left hand… thumb is fine. Trigger finger on reverse (right as support) also works.

I do have a few where I run it on 3:00, mainly to prevent sling conflicts… but it doesn’t hinder me that much. If I can run it on 9:00, I prefer to… since folding stocks or braces take up similar offset behind it.

For the OP, Magpul 5-slot polymer rail and a TLR-1 HL. Done.
    I have it at the 3 oclock, a tlr1 already. I wanted it at the 9 position, but it interferes with my sling setup. I can manipulate it with my fingers but it isnt easy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have you tried the TLR1 at 12?

Feedback Score
    I want to eventually move the tr1 to a pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I want to eventually move the tr1 to a pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With Black Friday sales, you didn’t see another TLR-1 to pickup for said pistol?

I probably have five or so TLR-1s with two or three that stay on those guns; ones that I depend on or are truck guns. Alternatives and fun guns, usually have empty rails. That’s the simplicity of it, especially considering the Gen 5 Glocks (my duty gun) use a 1913 rail instead of the universal Glock cut. Sort of part the reason I like my retro P80 (no rail is kind of cool/unique).

For size/weight, it is hard to beat a pistol light. Controls can be iffy for some (why I don’t do the X300), but jumping up to a Scout light or a Surefire G2X/6PX is a bigger setup. I have a G2X in an IWC mount on my 11.5” PSA build… mainly because I wanted a retro/Heat look. It works, but not as adaptive as a pistol light on a rail and is a bigger/heavier setup.

I have the IWC mount on my 6920… with a Scout light… because I wanted to keep it somewhat OEM (light and Aimpoint came off my Tavor). My KE Arms polymer lower has a lightweight 16” upper, and the newer Scout light is on the railed gas block. Both are larger rifles, and those sized lights aren’t that big of a hindrance.

Something smaller, in the 11.5” realm… do you want extra weight or bulk that far up? I personally don’t.

Feedback Score
    I do not know what I want, that is why I am asking. The tlr1 is bulky, I have a pic rail piece attached to the hand guard, then the tlr1 attached to that. It sticks out A LOT right now. I think I want something that sits at the 130 position, instead of the 3 o’clock.

I had been thinking about the inforce light, and trying it at 1030 spot, but what I have read has said to avoid them. The thought was the push button right there would have been easy, no switches or anything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast