Thread: HALEY STRATEGIC D3CRM MICRO mag carrier options?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

HALEY STRATEGIC D3CRM MICRO mag carrier options?

I'm specifically thinking along the lines of MP-5 and Glock magazines. Will a 30 round MP-5 magazine carry well in one of these? With standard capacity pistol magazines, what about bulky magazines like Glock 10mm/45ACP, and similar fat magazines. Will a 17 round G17, or 13/15 round G20/21 magazines stick up a lot?

How do these work with 20 round SR-25 mags? Are the weight and balance reasonable, not on a plate carrier? What about the triple 556 carrier?

Does anyone other than HALEY STRATEGIC make compatible carriers for the MICRO?

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    I'm specifically thinking along the lines of MP-5 and Glock magazines. Will a 30 round MP-5 magazine carry well in one of these? With standard capacity pistol magazines, what about bulky magazines like Glock 10mm/45ACP, and similar fat magazines. Will a 17 round G17, or 13/15 round G20/21 magazines stick up a lot?

How do these work with 20 round SR-25 mags? Are the weight and balance reasonable, not on a plate carrier? What about the triple 556 carrier?

Does anyone other than HALEY STRATEGIC make compatible carriers for the MICRO?

TIA,
    Sid
    https://haleystrategic.com/d3crm-micro

Sid you slacker, you didn't throw up a link!!

Here is a question back at you, how many mags do you need to carry? I'm not a fan of those style, and I actually just pulled one apart yesterday to use pieces off it. I'm back to using an H harness, and loving life. Stick a few mags on the side, and you are GTG, plus it gets thrown on MUCH MUCH quicker if time is a factor. If you are right handed, a couple MP5 mags on your left side, and you still have your pistol on your right if needed. The nice thing about a H harness setup, is that you can have AR mag pouches and MP5 mag pouches on it, so you can use the same setup for everything.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post

Sid you slacker, you didn't throw up a link!!

I thought the subject would be relatively well known to everyone. Silly me ....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a question back at you, how many mags do you need to carry? I'm not a fan of those style, and I actually just pulled one apart yesterday to use pieces off it. I'm back to using an H harness, and loving life. Stick a few mags on the side, and you are GTG, plus it gets thrown on MUCH MUCH quicker if time is a factor. If you are right handed, a couple MP5 mags on your left side, and you still have your pistol on your right if needed. The nice thing about a H harness setup, is that you can have AR mag pouches and MP5 mag pouches on it, so you can use the same setup for everything.
    First, my waist is typically covered up in stuff like a good field knife, fencing pliers, etc. along with a pistol. I find a small chest rig to work well for things when I'm in tall grass, weeds, etc. doing chores.

This has me thinking the Micro with a hot-swap mag carrier would be a good option for a couple MP-5 mags and a couple of pistol mags or an extra rifle mag and a pair of pistol mags. I could also probably squeeze a small flashlight in there too.

I'm trying to avoid hanging a lot of stuff off a chest rig to reduce snags and general hangups as I have enough of those on my waist already. I also find an X-harness works better in this regard than an H-harness and my body profile supports the X-harness well.

If two (or three) rifle mags and three pistol mags won't get me back to the house, the tractor, or a pickup/SxS, I need reinforcements along with an AH-64 Apache!

In terms of donning speed, as long as it isn't overly involved I am fine with a "slower" to don option. I'm not in law enforcement or a Walter Mitty fantasy where I need to immediately go from a totally relaxed disengaged state to "full tilt" immediately. I guess this is where my open carry pistol buys some time for a quick response if I'm distracted with fencing or a cow needing calving assistance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
    First, my waist is typically covered up in stuff like a good field knife, fencing pliers, etc. along with a pistol. I find a small chest rig to work well for things when I'm in tall grass, weeds, etc. doing chores.

This has me thinking the Micro with a hot-swap mag carrier would be a good option for a couple MP-5 mags and a couple of pistol mags or an extra rifle mag and a pair of pistol mags. I could also probably squeeze a small flashlight in there too.

I'm trying to avoid hanging a lot of stuff off a chest rig to reduce snags and general hangups as I have enough of those on my waist already. I also find an X-harness works better in this regard than an H-harness and my body profile supports the X-harness well.

If two (or three) rifle mags and three pistol mags won't get me back to the house, the tractor, or a pickup/SxS, I need reinforcements along with an AH-64 Apache!

In terms of donning speed, as long as it isn't overly involved I am fine with a "slower" to don option. I'm not in law enforcement or a Walter Mitty fantasy where I need to immediately go from a totally relaxed disengaged state to "full tilt" immediately. I guess this is where my open carry pistol buys some time for a quick response if I'm distracted with fencing or a cow needing calving assistance.
    Makes sense to me, I would argue that a single mag would probably be enough, but you know your needs better than I do.

Have you checked out the "Taco" pouches? Some of those can hold a variety of mags. The main mini I've used is the one from Tac tailor, and it was much more minimalist.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Makes sense to me, I would argue that a single mag would probably be enough, but you know your needs better than I do.
    Understood. Going to town, a single pistol magazine is plenty and I generally don't have a rifle in the car or pickup. Heck, if going to town and wanting a longarm to travel with, I'm more likely to take my Gunsite shotgun.

With a dozen young men riding Motocross motorcycles and quads doing wheelies and similar mayhem on the public road by my mailbox while playing really loud heavy metal I can hear a half-mile away with Marijuana smoke drifting my way, I'm wanting more than one magazine available because I'm over a 1/4 mile away from the house at the mailbox and farther if I'm working the fence line. The flophouse (B&B) seems to have been shut down so, that is hopefully no longer an issue.

One of the neighbors apparently left the kennel door open as I was greeted by 34 puppies (all that I counted at my feet) and, I've killed as many as a dozen dogs chasing cows and newborn calves (killed one) in one week and shot two adult dogs on my front porch as fast as I could pull the trigger (thankful I was holding my pistol in my dominant hand to see what the wind knocked over). I suspect there is a fighting dog breeder in the area as the neighbor's two pets were taken (no bodies found) and the Golden Retriever that normally greeted me was taken as well.

The neighbor's grandson up the road was put in the hospital from a dog attack; being from the city and really young he didn't recognize the threat or know what to do when the dog attacked. I'm sympathetic to that situation as I had a bad encounter near there when I heard a house door slam and watched a big yellow dog jump three chain-link fences starting about 300 yards away.

Have you checked out the "Taco" pouches? Some of those can hold a variety of mags. The main mini I've used is the one from Tac tailor, and it was much more minimalist.
    I'm looking for something more minimalist. Tac Tailor and others seem to mainly offer big Molle vests which is more bulk than I want to deal with. I have a cheap plate carrier I have played with but, with just a few mags on it, it is hot and cumbersome for general uses and won't see meaningful use. If I need a plate carrier, my Crye 2.0 JPC will get the call.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spiritus Systems micro fight chassis

This is another one I considered for those interested in a similar low drag chest rig. With all the straps, it costs similar to the Haley Strategic Micro. Whether it is better or worse depends on end-use and whether you like the adaptability of the velcro used.