Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exact barrel would you go with for this build?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What exact barrel would you go with for this build?

Rail I will be using is the Geissele 13.5 MK4 DDC. I'm not sure it's weight but I'm not too concerned with the weight of the build either honestly. The plan was a pinned and welded as short as possible rifle build. Probably will go with ADCO to pin and weld or cut if needed.

So where I'm stumped is if I should go 13.7 barrel with a KAC spacer or go with a 14.5 barrel and no spacer. The muzzle device will be a Surefire Warcomp.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would do 14.5 over 13.7. A Warcomp will get a 14" barrel over 16" when you p/w. Any 14" options look good to you?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you are pinning to 16 inches why go with a shorter barrel with spacers?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    If you are pinning to 16 inches why go with a shorter barrel with spacers?
    From my understanding the 13.7 plus a spacer would be 16". A 14.5 with a pinned Warcomp would be longer than 16".

This build will be the typical home defense, end of world, blasting gun. No precision shooting at long distances. Steel at 50-100
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 11-28-21 at 17:26.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    According to my notes, a Warcomp added 2.19" when I measured last, not including timing shims. A SF 3 prong FH adds 2.0x". Do you plan on mounting a suppressor?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    According to my notes, a Warcomp added 2.19" when I measured last, not including timing shims. A SF 3 prong FH adds 2.0x". Do you plan on mounting a suppressor?
    Yes a Surefire

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    BLUF: I'd definitely do a 14 or 14.5 barrel over using spacers.

Also, tou didn't ask, so I apologize in advance if it seem like I'm trying to low-key tell you what to do. Just my experience:

I have a 14" and 14.5" upper that have p/w Warcomps. As there is no labyrinth seal on the Warcomp, the SF SOCOM suppressor seems to foul onto the muzzle device rather quickly, and I often wish I'd gone with the SF flash hider. The Warcomp is certainly shootable, and is an excellent device in its own right and I love shooting the uppers unsuppressed. This probably doesn't pose an issue if you have several other ARs and this one is only for home defense, just my observations. I have an upper with a SF muzzle brake, but it's so obnoxiously loud it's not worth shooting unsuppressed, though the suppressor doesn't get stuck near as quickly due to the labyrinth seal. Definitely wish I'd gone the flash hider route on that one. For me, the Warcomps serve their purpose as unsuppressed uppers that could be suppressed in need be. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What about the Triarc 13.9? And opngrnd I was going to run the fh/comp Warcomp and not the side braked one
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 11-28-21 at 18:07.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    What about the Triarc 13.9? And opngrnd I was going to run the fh/comp Warcomp and not the side braked one
    Let me measure something and get back to you.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    Measuring my upper assembled with a 13.4" BCM handguard (MCMR) and a 14" barrel with pinned Warcomp, the suppressor only has .04" clearance when being mounted. With a 13.5" handguard, you'll probably need to go with the 14.5" barrel so your suppressor will clear the handguard.

Look at pictures of the Warcomp next to the 3P flash hider, and you'll see the 3P has "rings" that help seal off the mating surface between the muzzle device and suppressor. The Warcomp has vents in the same area that shoot carbon into the mating area, causing it to foul relatively quickly. Links below:

https://www.surefire.com/products/su...p-flash-hider/
    https://www.surefire.com/products/su...g-flash-hider/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast