Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FINAL: EPC PCC Build -- Intermittent Light Primer Strikes

Feedback Score

Range Update

Did a detailed cleaning and lubrication of the gun today, BCG, FCG, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring. Passed a few patches through the barrel and made sure the feed cone was wiped down.

I Applied Militec and mild heat to the BCG contact surfaces and firing pin.

Put 100rds Federal 124gr fmj through the gun. Did an initial rapid dump of (2) 21rd magazines w/o issue. Put another magazine of controlled pairs through it w/o issue. Next magazine was slow fire and at one moment I caught myself riding the trigger which resulted in a FTF/light primer strike, bulged case. I wonder if this might be the root of the problem? The trigger is Aero's single stage offering, recommended for EPC builds. I fed it the remaining rounds w/o issue paying attention to my trigger form.

1 FTF in 100rds.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ksosay; 12-05-21 at 19:50.

Feedback Score
    Are the FTF rounds making it into the chamber or catching on the feed cone?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    Are the FTF rounds making it into the chamber or catching on the feed cone?
    When I clear they’re in the chamber.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksosay View Post
    When I clear they’re in the chamber.
    I don’t think riding the trigger could cause the issue unless something is out of spec or installed incorrectly. At worst you should get stung by the trigger.

I’ve never seen the bolt design for Macon Armory but their barrel looks like it would be compatible with the regular Glock/AR bolts.

My guess is the rounds are hitting the feed cone as they go in and getting deformed. I had this problem with my FoxTrot Mike. I went to a Tubbs 42 coil recoil spring and a KAK extended heavyweight buffer. That slowed the cycling and eliminated the majority of my FTF issues. In the last 250 rounds I’ve had one FTF.
    Last edited by JB2000; 12-07-21 at 21:18.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    I don’t think riding the trigger could cause the issue unless something is out of spec or installed incorrectly. At worst you should get stung by the trigger.

I’ve never seen the bolt design for Macon Armory but their barrel looks like it would be compatible with the regular Glock/AR bolts.

My guess is the rounds are hitting the feed cone as they go in and getting deformed. I had this problem with my FoxTrot Mike. I went to a Tubbs 42 coil recoil spring and a KAK extended heavyweight buffer. That slowed the cycling and eliminated the majority of my FTF issues. In the last 250 rounds I’ve had one FTF.

Thanks for the feedback on riding the trigger.

The bolt is Aero Precision's specific for an EPC build. The buffer spring is also AP's 7.7oz paired w/ their 308 carbine length spring. All recommended for an EPC build. I also have an email out to Rudy at Macon Armory for his take on the matter.

Feedback Score
    That’s what Foxtrot Mike ships theirs with as well - and probably most others. It’s cheaper to use a 308 buffer spring and a steel buffer than a “heavy” buffer with tungsten weights and a “custom” spring weight.

Feedback Score
    After several range trips running about another 750 rounds of varied ammo through the gun all feed issues / light primer strikes are resolved. Did nothing more than run it wiping the bore along the way. Runs great I think I can call this build done.

I did update the original red dot (Lucid HD7 Gen II) w/ the Swampfox Liberator Mini Gen I (green reticle). Lost a few reticle choices but saved myself almost 11oz.

Thanks for all who offered advice and feedback.

Happy Thanksgiving folks!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You really should try a regular spring, the 9mm AR is harsh with a .308 spring.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    You really should try a regular spring, the 9mm AR is harsh with a .308 spring.
    I'll give it a go, not too expensive to try especially w/ the Black Friday deals rolling in.

Feedback Score
    Spring arrived (so to speak) range report asap...

IMG_6072.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast