Thread: Suppressor Purchase Denial

Feedback Score

Suppressor Purchase Denial

Good morning, everyone,

Last year I bought my first suppressors, a Sparrow 22 and an Omega 45K. The approval for the .22 can came back very quickly, and I have it here at home.

It's a different story for the Omega 45K. After a long time I got a letter telling me that my Omega 45K purchase had been denied. The letter says that I'm not being told that I can't own the can, but that something in my past MAY disqualify me and until the matter is clarified, no transfer.

Well, I know what the problem is. Back in the seventies I was in the Navy, while stationed in Norfolk, VA., I was arrested and charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana. I was issued a citation and had to appear in court for the misdemeanor. I was fined $25 and had to pay $23 in court costs. Case closed.

Years later when buying a firearm, the State of Florida found the arrest in my background check and denied the purchase, saying they could see the arrest but nothing about the disposition of the case itself. Eventually they were able to contact the City of Norfolk, got the details of my case and saved them in my Florida file. So Florida knows it was a misdemeanor and I paid the fine, and I've had no issues with firearm purchases since. I have my CWP too.

So, apparently the great computer in the sky knows I was arrested but doesn't know if the charge was a felony or what the disposition of the case was.

How do I go about getting those facts into the database? Am I going to have to hire an attorney? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I take it you weren’t nominated for Sailor of the Quarter. Higher or at least consult an attorney.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Contact the court and get a certified copy of the case with disposition.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Nope, no SoQ nominations for me. In my defense let me just say that I learned to smoke pot from my shipmates, 75% of whom smoked all day every day. The Navy had a severe drug problem back then.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Looks like I have you and your shipmates to thank for the random urinalysis testing I endured in the 80's. - Thanks

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The way I understand it is, you need to get an "Identity History Summary Check" of yourself from the FBI. Verify that old charge is what is what is holding you up. Get the disposition of your old charge and submit it to the FBI to update your file. Refile for suppressors. And hope its that easy...

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/id...summary-checks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall View Post
    The way I understand it is, you need to get an "Identity History Summary Check" of yourself from the FBI. Verify that old charge is what is what is holding you up. Get the disposition of your old charge and submit it to the FBI to update your file. Refile for suppressors. And hope its that easy...

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/id...summary-checks
    Thank you, sir. This looks promising and I'll move forward with this today.

Trying to get the court that was involved to correct things is impossible as their records do not go that far back anymore.