Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your opinion on a lightweight BCG?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Brownells lightweight carrier is steel and retains forward assist serrations. I do not see why it should pose a reliability risk if overall reciprocating mass it kept reasonable. In one of the long technical threads it was mentioned that increased buffer mass combined with reduced carrier mass could even be beneficial; I'll have to see if I can find that.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    In the words of James Sullivan regarding LW BCGs, "That's just crazy".
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This looks like the post I remembered. Brownells + H3 is still a bit lighter than standard but nothing like the hollowed out or plastic buffers used in some race guns. If there is something wrong with my thinking please correct me.

Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    There are some indications that in the balance of total reciprocating mass being the same and properly done for a given system, that maximizing buffer mass while keeping total mass the same by reducing carrier mass may have some merit. Adding mass to the buffer while reducing the same mass from the carrier has shown advantages, total mass stays the same.
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-30-21 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The ratio of bolt to carrier mass is a factor in reliability because the carrier’s momentum plays a part in unlocking and extraction. Increased buffer mass can’t contribute; it cannot pull, only push. Consider also the AK and M240.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm with most of the others.

Most women are small and don't have very much arm strength, yours may not be......

I'd save the weight up front and use a regular BCG, or the Semi as a reliable alternative. She will notice the weight reduction up front far more than any BCG weight savings. Get a lightweight, scalloped barrel with a simple A2 FH. I have the MI lightweight HG on one of my rifles and its incredibly light and easy to bring to the shoulder, even with a standard mil-spec barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    The ratio of bolt to carrier mass is a factor in reliability because the carrier’s momentum plays a part in unlocking and extraction. Increased buffer mass can’t contribute; it cannot pull, only push. Consider also the AK and M240.
    There must be an energy level that is sufficient beyond which the rim will simply be torn off of a stuck case. I'll have to see what I can find.

Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The theoretical separation of the buffer and carrier actually has never been mentioned in any modeling exercise I have read and I don't think it really happens, and since all the models leave it out yet still match experimental data, even if it does occur its effects are negligible.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    There must be an energy level that is sufficient beyond which the rim will simply be torn off of a stuck case. I'll have to see what I can find.
    Man, your search skills are unmatched. I’d defer to Lysander on the topic where his understanding differs from mine. I’m no engineer.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Your opinion on a lightweight BCG?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    The most light weight and low recoil AR I've EVER shot is the BCM 14.5 middy with KMR rail and their gunfighter comp. Nothing comes close at all.

Forget the gimmick parts. I wish I could loan my BCM middy out. It's unbelievable.
    Agreed. I have one of the early ELW-F barrels with magnesium KMRs and it’s stupid light weight. I haven’t shot it in some time (wife’s/HD gun) but it was always very soft shooting. I’m also becoming much more of a fan of the theory (haven’t used one yet) of a BRT gas tube with standard gas block over an adjustable if you need to reduce some gas. LW dot on a Scalarworks mount with standard BCG or LMT E-BCG if you want those potential benefits and you have a soft shooting, high performing, and lightweight gun that will likely perform under most conditions aside from being used to beat/pry stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 11-30-21 at 14:38.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123