Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion on a lightweight BCG?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Your opinion on a lightweight BCG?

So the wife said one of the most exciting things ever. "Babe, would you ever build me my own AR?" I can think of few things she could ask me that would make me as excited as I was at that point. Shes in love with OD Green so I sourced out a receiver set and buffer tube from Geissele in OD green...Give me a second...

Anyways

I'd like to keep it as light as possible while reliability somewhat high. My idea so far is a Faxon Firearms Gunner lightweight BCG and pair it with a Superlative Arms adjustable gas block (I love those things!) and pair it all with as light of a buffer as possible. Overall goal/idea is below...

- Lightweight BCG and buffer (maybe spring too?) would make it easier for her to charge the firearm.
    - Little recoil
    - She complains about the weight of my ARs so this will keep her motivated and want to shoot hers.
    Less recoil.
    - I THINK the gas block adjustability will keep the reliability high enough.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 11-29-21 at 19:22.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Unless you are building a race gun, or an AR that will never be used for defensive purposes then you should NEVER use lightweight reciprocal mass parts. No lightweight BCGs, carbine buffer or lightweight hammers should ever go into a serious use gun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    What's the weight difference between an m16 carrier and a lightweight carrier? 2 oz.? Maybe 3? And the difference going to a carbine buffer from an H buffer, 1 oz.?

I don't do the lightweight carrier/agb thing but it seems to me that's not the place to save weight if a lightweight build is your goal. Adding expense and potential tuning issues to save 3 or 4 ounces doesn't make sense to me. Barrel and handguard choice I think is the place to focus to drop easy weight. Just my opinion.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you are compromising reliability to save a few ounces.

Go with a light weight barrel and rail to save weight. Keep the working parts of the gun the way they are supposed to be.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The WWSD2020 rifle is under 5 pounds with a standard weight carrier and a JP silent spring which I think weighs more than the standard setup.

I'm not saying I agree with all their choices, just showing that really light weight can be done saving weight elsewhere.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I think you are compromising reliability to save a few ounces.

Go with a light weight barrel and rail to save weight. Keep the working parts of the gun the way they are supposed to be.
    I'm not sure what rail I want to go with. I really want to say Geissele to match...But the only size they have is the 10" overpriced Federal overrun rails $$$$$ and then that will doom me to build her a pistol 10.5

Barrel will probably be a BA or Faxon pencil.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have a build with 14.5” Faxon Gunner, Superlative Adjustable Gasblock, lightweight BCG and muzzle brake. It shoots noticeably softer than my other ARs, but is meant for recreational use. Although I’ve not had a problem with it, I do keep it clean and well-lubed. The BCG is only 2-3 ounces lighter than M16 and it uses a standard spring and carbine buffer, so it’s not that far from a semi-auto carrier setup.

IMO, AR pistols with adjustable gas are definitely the way to go if lightweight and light recoil are the main priorities.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedshooter View Post
    I have a build with 14.5” Faxon Gunner, Superlative Adjustable Gasblock, lightweight BCG and muzzle brake. It shoots noticeably softer than my other ARs, but is meant for recreational use. Although I’ve not had a problem with it, I do keep it clean and well-lubed. The BCG is only 2-3 ounces lighter than M16 and it uses a standard spring and carbine buffer, so it’s not that far from a semi-auto carrier setup.

IMO, AR pistols with adjustable gas are definitely the way to go if lightweight and light recoil are the main priorities.
    Has it ever failed to fire?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I'd like to keep it as light as possible while reliability somewhat high.
    I had similar goals for my first AR build. I chose the Brownells lightweight BCG in nitride paired with an H3 buffer. This shifted the center of mass rearward making the gun feel lighter when shouldered.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    double
    Last edited by Disciple; 11-29-21 at 20:42.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast