Thread: Change of address (moving within the same state) for suppressor

Feedback Score

Change of address (moving within the same state) for suppressor

I posted in another forum and got conflicting answers so here goes:
    I own a supressor and moved to a new house ( same state county even town)
    Some state there is no requirement to notify NFA branch of address change and other say to submit a form.
    Well submitted a form returned denied
    Get this because I listed suppressor not silencer on the form what ridiculous semantics!

Anyhow if anyone with suppressors has moved ( within the same state) did you notify/ submit a form to NFA?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Form 5320.20 is the form for moving certain NFA items across state lines.

I am unaware of a form for an in state move.

Also, suppressors are exempt from the 532020.20. Logically, although government does NOT operate on logic, why would you need a form for moving in state if you don't need one for moving across state lines for a suppressor?

TED

Feedback Score
    I may have forgot to do my 5320.20 for two full years and there was no issue. I filled it out, they sent me a receipt saying OK. If they wanted to know where I live there's plenty of other databases for that.

I'd just resubmit with the "correct" terminology and drive on.

Feedback Score
    Good news! Since there is no requirement to inform them of anything for an in-state move, you don't need permission.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you do make a permanent move within state “should” you tell them anyways?

Feedback Score
    Yes, feedback from one of the NFA Trust attorneys I use suggests it is good practice to inform the NFA Branch of your move and use the 5320.20 form. It is okay to do after the move but recommended to do within a reasonable amount of time.

Bottom line you're mitigating risk by over communicating and taking the steps to document things as best as you can.

Feedback Score
    They prefer that you notify them to keep the registry up to date. But there is no obligation to do so. I moved in state about 3 hours away with suppressors, SBR’s and a machine gun. But didn’t get around to notifying them for 13 years or so. I’m that time span my stamp collection more than tripled. I got a call from an examiner about a form 4 about six years in, and he asked me if I was the same person as what was recorded on previous forms at a different address. Then asked if I would submit forms to update them. I got around to it eventually.