Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon woth the extra cost?

Feedback Score

Dillon woth the extra cost?

Hello All,

I'm planning on starting to reload (great timing I know). In two weeks I'll have the opportunity to buy some Hornady kits at dealer cost. I was definitely going to get the Classic Kit https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...oad-classic#!/. I was also seriously thinking about the AP kit https://www.hornady.com/reloading/pr...k-n-load-ap#!/.

My problem is that, for progressive, I really want a Dillon 550. But, I can't get one of those for cheap.

I'm pretty sure that the Dillon is a better press than the Hornady. But, is it better enough to pay full retail on it vs dealer price on the Hornday?

Any advice you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JRC

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I have no experience with the Hornady equipment so can't comment on their relative quality/function.

I have two Dillon 550's. Only you can decide if it is "worth it" but for me it has been. They send parts for free, even if I break it and I tell them no, its my fault I broke it. And the design is robust enough that I rarely break or wear something out.

I bought my second one used. When it arrived it was clearly worn out. Called Dillon and told them the situation. Was very clear I bought it used from someone else and it was flat out loose and worn out. They said send it in we will rebuild it. Two weeks later I had an as new press. Total cost to me was one way shipment to Dillon. They rebuilt it and sent it back on their nickel.

The weak point of the 550 is the primer feed. That's my only complaint. But I have found ways to manage it.

Nowadays I live less than 5 miles from Dillon, so it's even better!
    Last edited by JiminAZ; 11-30-21 at 20:12.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Dillon has been so good to me that I can’t not recommend them when this question comes up. I will say that I really like Hornady’s dies and quite a few reside on my various Dillon 550 toolheads.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't have experience with the Hornady, but my experience with Dillon has been outstanding. The few times I've had small parts breakage (2x it was the E clip for the spring loaded decapper, 1x it was my fault that I damaged the indexing spring) they've known the part number off the top of their head, and if I called before noon it was sent via mail THAT day.

Dillon doesn't have several irons in the fire (unlike Hornady who makes presses, bullets, ammunition, etc). They really do one thing: make reloading equipment. For that reason their tech support is top notch because it seems—to me at least—that everyone is on the same page and extremely knowledgeable.

I will say that, for the money, their strong mount is not as robust or versatile as the Inline Fabrication mounts. I'd consider that route unless you already have a mounting solution in mind...

Feedback Score
    Dillon is the only answer. Hornady is on par with lee compared to Dillon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The Hornady LNL AP is more on par to the XL750. The 550 is a different animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use the Hornady LNL AP for pistol and the Hornady Iron for rifle and both work well for me.

I don’t have experience with Dillon. I did look at Dillon before purchasing the LNL AP but I couldn’t tell you why I chose Hornady as it’s been so long.

I use Redding dies almost exclusively where they support the calibers I shoot. I think the one exception is Hornady dies for 450BM.

Feedback Score
    Honestly I think you would be fine with either. I am probably Bias toward Dillon since that is what I run.

I only have 25K rounds through the dillon , but have been issue free.

Right now it might be what ever you can find.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Yes, their service and warranty replacement parts are a good reason before you even get to their operation. Especially for the 650/750. The 550 seems to get a little less wear due to non auto indexing. At least in my experience.

Feedback Score
    You can't go wrong with a Dillon press. Their CS is great. I will say the same for RCBS both in quality & CS.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast