Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dillon woth the extra cost?

Feedback Score
    The Hornady parts replacement and CS is as good as Dillon. It’s whether you can stand that whole vaccine mess…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I reload for competition and I would shoot 500 - 1k rounds per month prior to the recent panic. I've been using a Hornady AP for about 7 or 8 years now, cranking out thousands of rounds per year across various calibers. I use it for pistol loads (9mm, 38, 44, 45) and 5.56 and 300blk. It's smooth, durable and does it's job. I also use Lee single stage for precision large caliber loads. I started out on a Dillon, which my friend coached me on and let me borrow for a while - and it was great. I bought the Hornady because, like you, I could get it at cost (plus it came with a lot of bullets with a rebate 500 or 1k, something like that).

The Dillon is probably the better press, but I'm honestly not sure I would do it any differently if I could. The Hornady is very easy and quick to switch between calibers and with a couple mods (check YouTube) you can get the press to move really fast. My 5.56 loads are sub moa right off the press, which is good enough for the matches I shoot - CMP, NRA High power, etc.

But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds. Again, pre panic pricing, I was loading 45 for about 10 cents per round, compared to about 30 cents for factory ammo ~ $200 savings per 1k. I never saved much on 9mm when I could buy a box for $7 or $8.

So my advice is this: if you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself. If you end up going with the Hornady, you'll be fine with that too. Either way, study some credible YouTube videos or sit down with an experienced hand loader to learn your way around the equipment before you jump in with both feet.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
    But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds.
    And you'll likely NEVER or RARELY shoot crappy 55 gr junk again. Once you can load all the good ammo you want, you never want to waste any time loading or shooting dog poop 3-4 moa garbage.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    Hello All,

I'm planning on starting to reload (great timing I know). In two weeks I'll have the opportunity to buy some Hornady kits at dealer cost.

SNIP...

But, is it better enough to pay full retail on it vs dealer price on the Hornday?

Any advice you have would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

JRC

I would opt for going dealer cost route if I were in your shoes. The money you save can go to other stuff you will be wanting / needing soon.

Thinking about the smaller tools / accessories here.

Feedback Score
    The only regret I gave about buying a Dillion 650 is I wished I would have ponied up a bought the 1050 instead.
    That swaging function is huge bonus.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've owned both, and would go with the Dillon.
    I loaded on a Hornady LNL AP for years and had constant issues with it, and even wound up priming off-press. About two years ago I finally sold it and invested in a Dillon 550C. As far as I'm concerned, it's head and shoulders above the LNL AP and I wish I would have chosen the 550 to begin with.

FWIW, I load all of my old military surplus calibers on a single stage, and keep the high mileage calibers on the 550C.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    The only regret I gave about buying a Dillion 650 is I wished I would have ponied up a bought the 1050 instead.
    That swaging function is huge bonus.
    If someone is loading a buttload of 5.56, the 1050 would be completely worth the extra coin.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    Dillon is the only answer. Hornady is on par with lee compared to Dillon.

I have a Hornady LNL progressive that was a constant problem with parts failure etc. Case feeder crapped out every 200 reds pistol ammo. I bought a Dillon 1050 for 9mm and it runs very well. Occasionally something will require maintenance but for progressive presses Dillon Dillon Dillon. For single stage press RCBS or Hornady.

Feedback Score
    I have loaded approximately 100,000 rounds on Hornady LNL, most of which were one unit setup for 9mm. Only parts I’ve broken were retaining springs and the plastic piece that holds the primer guide on when a piece of primer made it’s way into the primer chute tract.

The Hornady press runs great once tuned. It is a pain to tune.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I have loaded approximately 100,000 rounds on Hornady LNL, most of which were one unit setup for 9mm. Only parts I’ve broken were retaining springs and the plastic piece that holds the primer guide on when a piece of primer made it’s way into the primer chute tract.

The Hornady press runs great once tuned. It is a pain to tune.

This has been my experience as well. I have a separate powder drop for 9mm and 45ACP which greatly simplifies changeover.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast