Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dillon woth the extra cost?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    This has been my experience as well. I have a separate powder drop for 9mm and 45ACP which greatly simplifies changeover.
    I need to get a third one. I initially had a separate press for each, but then I started doing rifle ammo on one because it made such good ammo. I’ve been keeping one set for pistol and one for rifle lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have an ancient Lyman turret press (haven’t used it in decades), a Rockchucker, a Harrell’s, and a 650. I have no experience with Hornady. For precision rifle loads where each case is carefully prepped, each charge weighed, and I don’t need more than 100 or so, I use the Harrell’s or maybe the Rockchucker. But for mass production of good rifle or pistol ammunition using a hand-operated press, you can’t beat a Dillon.

The USPSA collects data from each competitor in its national matches and publishes the details of what equipment was used. For those using reloaded ammo, Dillon presses always outnumber all of the other brands combined. For example, for the 2019 national matches the top 3 press manufacturers were:

Open division: Dillon 71%, Mark 7 20%, Hornady 3%
    Carry Optics division: Dillon 53%, Mark 7 5%, Hornady 4%
    PCC division: Dillon 54%, Hornady 6%, Mark 7 4%
    Production division: Dillon 57%, Hornady 4%, Mark 7 3%
    Single Stack division: Dillon 82%, Mark 7 11%, Hornady 4%
    Limited division: Dillon 67%, Mark 7 6%, Hornady 2%
    Revolver division: Dillon 85%, Hornady 7%, Mark 7 4%

These numbers do not add up to 100%, and of course only pistol ammunition was used … but still, the preference among high-volume shooters is clear.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcii View Post
    My problem is that, for progressive, I really want a Dillon 550. But, I can't get one of those for cheap.
    That says a lot about the market value of Dillon vs.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminAZ View Post
    The weak point of the 550 is the primer feed. That's my only complaint.
    I keep hearing this, but I've done tens of thousands of rounds on my 550B, and I've never (knock wood) had a problem the primer feed...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
    If you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself...
    Amen, and never mind the CS (which I've never needed), but for me the Dillon just seems better thought out than anything else out there.

Example: I started with whatever dies, but having tried Dillon's dies, they're so much more user-friendly (the clean-out function alone) that I'm now selling my other dies and replacing them with Dillon's.

Quote Originally Posted by exkc135driver View Post
    For example, for the 2019 national matches the top 3 press manufacturers were:

Open division: Dillon 71%, Mark 7 20%, Hornady 3%
    Carry Optics division: Dillon 53%, Mark 7 5%, Hornady 4%
    PCC division: Dillon 54%, Hornady 6%, Mark 7 4%
    Production division: Dillon 57%, Hornady 4%, Mark 7 3%
    Single Stack division: Dillon 82%, Mark 7 11%, Hornady 4%
    Limited division: Dillon 67%, Mark 7 6%, Hornady 2%
    Revolver division: Dillon 85%, Hornady 7%, Mark 7 4%
    Right, and AFAIK Dillon doesn't sponsor shooters.

How many of those Hornady users are using a Hornady for the same reason they're also wearing Hornady shirts?

Feedback Score
    Double-tap...
    Last edited by Bimmer; 12-09-21 at 11:56. Reason: Double tap...

Feedback Score
    One of the reason so many use the Dillon is the available auto-drives. None of that exists for Hornady, RCBS, etc.

The reality is both Dillon and Hornady have their pros and cons. Both have their quirks. I’m rather ticked off at Hornady lately, but I’ve had no problems with their pressed. A friend of mine has the Dillon 650 XL and I have two LNL APs. Every time we run his press there is something out of tune needing a little attention, while my AP is chugging away. He experiences primer problems and a case feeder that is finicky. My AP’s biggest problem is weak ejection where rounds may trickle to the floor rather than make it to the bin. I get the occasional primer chute issue if powder makes its way into the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes, Dillon is worth the extra price.
    Go Dillon.
    Buy once, cry once.

Feedback Score
    I have two 650’s and can’t say enough good things about Dillon, worth the price in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    “If you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow” Chuck Colson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
    I reload for competition and I would shoot 500 - 1k rounds per month prior to the recent panic. I've been using a Hornady AP for about 7 or 8 years now, cranking out thousands of rounds per year across various calibers. I use it for pistol loads (9mm, 38, 44, 45) and 5.56 and 300blk. It's smooth, durable and does it's job. I also use Lee single stage for precision large caliber loads. I started out on a Dillon, which my friend coached me on and let me borrow for a while - and it was great. I bought the Hornady because, like you, I could get it at cost (plus it came with a lot of bullets with a rebate 500 or 1k, something like that).

The Dillon is probably the better press, but I'm honestly not sure I would do it any differently if I could. The Hornady is very easy and quick to switch between calibers and with a couple mods (check YouTube) you can get the press to move really fast. My 5.56 loads are sub moa right off the press, which is good enough for the matches I shoot - CMP, NRA High power, etc.

But here's the thing... My press paid for itself in the first months of use. The Dillon would have been the same, just a little longer. Just as an example, I was getting match grade 5.56 using 77gr SMK or Nosler Custom Comps for around 25 - 30 cents per round, compared to Black Hills at about $1 a pull. That saved $700 per 1k rounds. Again, pre panic pricing, I was loading 45 for about 10 cents per round, compared to about 30 cents for factory ammo ~ $200 savings per 1k. I never saved much on 9mm when I could buy a box for $7 or $8.

So my advice is this: if you want the Dillon, just do it because it will eventually pay for itself. If you end up going with the Hornady, you'll be fine with that too. Either way, study some credible YouTube videos or sit down with an experienced hand loader to learn your way around the equipment before you jump in with both feet.
    Like EVERYTHING it comes down to what you want + what you must accomplish VS costs.
    For the $$$ when I bought my Hornady LNL progressive it was cheaper in all respects than 650XL and better in all respects than 550 and IMHO a better deal than a SQDB.
    I also own a Horandy LnL processive press, and while I don't reload 1-3K loads per month on it more like 300 and my experience mirrors his^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes a few hours at YouTube will solve all your LnL issues. What I did was to pre-prime all my brass and that in of itself solved 90%+ of all my LnL problems.
    I also own three Lee Classic 4 hole turret presses one is for 9mm, one is for 45acp and one for 38/357 each was 100% ready to reload with OTD with dies was under $200 each at my LGS. My Lee 4HCTP's work great and I can easily crank out 300 rounds of 9mm, 45, and 38spl per hour effortlessly. Yes the drum powder dispenser did leak ever so slightly but a YouTube video showed a extremely simple mod that reduced the leaking by at least 99%. I paid $193 OTD you can not beat that price to be able to reload high quality HG ammo at a rate of 300 rounds an hour.

FOR ME I'd rather have Three Lee C4HTP's and a Hornady LnL than one Dillon 750XL which a new 750XL set up the reload one rifle and 3 HG cost at least as much as my four presses did and I don't have to change or set anything up I just start making ammo.

Absolutely no argument Dillion is 1st rate equipment, and likely slightly better than Hornady but not IMO by a significant amount. Both the 650XL and Hornady LnL have quarks and issues and both have a definite learning curve to master using them and both are great at cranking out high quality high volumes of ammo.

Just pick one and invest the time to set tit up and LEARN really LEARN how to use it BEFORE you use it and you will be very satisfied with the results.
    Last edited by DMTJAGER; 12-22-21 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    This is one of those areas I would highly recommend doing research outside of forums. Asking about reloading equipment (what press is best) on a forum is like asking about suppressors. People generally have only tried the one they own and they will always tell you its the best.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    People generally have only tried the one they own and they will always tell you its the best.
    Why would that be any different outside of forums? People do that face to face too.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast