Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dillon woth the extra cost?

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Why would that be any different outside of forums? People do that face to face too.
    There are a number of blogs and YouTube cannels that have purchased a number of different presses and compared them all.
    nawai

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Dillon seems to be the way to go. I have used a 550 for about 8 years now. The same time I got my 550 a close friend had got a Hornady LnL. He had nothing but issues with it. After us both messing with the LnL trying to figure it out, he ended up just using my dillon. I am looking at buying to buy a second 550 now.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    Dillon seems to be the way to go. I have used a 550 for about 8 years now. The same time I got my 550 a close friend had got a Hornady LnL. He had nothing but issues with it. After us both messing with the LnL trying to figure it out, he ended up just using my dillon. I am looking at buying to buy a second 550 now.
    What sort of issues?

550 isn’t really comparable in function to 750 or the LNL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    What sort of issues?

550 isn’t really comparable in function to 750 or the LNL.

I honestly don't remember. I want to say it was an indexing problem. He returned everything after messing around with it for a while even after talking with hornady CS about it.
    Last edited by Aaron_B; 12-23-21 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron_B View Post
    I honestly don't remember. I want to say it was an indexing problem. He returned everything after messing around with it for a while even after talking with hornady CS about it.
    Indexing is adjustable. Lots of dudes interpret the adjustments backwards so I could definitely see that.

Feedback Score
    I love my 550b, I plan on getting another 550c to load .223, if and when my carbide dies ever arrive. Sometime next year is what Dillion told me. Yikes. More than paid for itself with the amount I shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My 550b has seen almost 30 years of consistent use. The press itself is still as solid as day one. The priming system was always "American Mediocrity" and hasn't been enabled in over a decade. Mine is 95% .223 loading these days with a pistol batch run every year or so just to break the monotony.

I've only tried the LNL single stage. I wore that out, but in fairness the main press shaft was too small for my volume and I ran the piss out of it.

I love the LNL bushing system for my current single stage.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My 550b has seen almost 30 years of consistent use. The press itself is still as solid as day one. The priming system was always "American Mediocrity" and hasn't been enabled in over a decade. Mine is 95% .223 loading these days with a pistol batch run every year or so just to break the monotony.

I've only tried the LNL single stage. I wore that out, but in fairness the main press shaft was too small for my volume and I ran the piss out of it.

I love the LNL bushing system for my current single stage.
    I’m on about 110k rounds of 9mm on a LNL AP. About 14k rounds of 5.56 on another. Both growing strong.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I started reloading in 1978 on a Lyman Spar-T Expert Kit along with a RCBS Rock Chucker. In late 1979 I bought my first Dillon 450B. In 1988 I had a friend sale me a 550 complete with 2 sets of dies and caliber conversions for $250. I liked it so well that when another friend and fellow competitive pistol shooter just had to upgrade to a XL650
    I bought his "old" 550B for $250. I came across a "used BL550 that had been upgraded to a 550B with a Strong Mount for $275.To say that I love my Dillon's is a understatement. Dillon CS for me has been great the few times I have needed it in the 43 years I have been using their products. I keep the 450B set up for 5.56 , one 550 for large pistol/rifle , one for small pistol/rifle and one for both as well as my RT 1200 trimmer.

I'll keep my weapons,my freedom,and my money!! You can keep the CHANGE!
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mRad View Post
    I’m on about 110k rounds of 9mm on a LNL AP. About 14k rounds of 5.56 on another. Both growing strong.
    I figure that's about how many cycles killed my single stage. I'm not bashing the press, the single is just a much smaller ram in the alloy frame. It was just not cut out for the insane volume of everything I run on my single stage. EVERY round and caliber hits the single stage for decapping alone. .223 will get cycled 3 times each loading. I still have it as a dedicated bullet pulling press on the end of the bench.

I upgraded to the Big Boss II for a beefier single stage.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast